Weight Watchers & MFP?

Options
Hello everyone!!

I was looking around and I think I'm going to put some serious effort into trying the Weight Watchers program. I lost about 20 lbs when I did it a few years ago, and then decided " i can do this on my own " and gained it all back, and then some.

I was wondering if anyone does WW and also tracks their calories on here?

I'm looking for new friends that we can help motivate each other!

Replies

• ClaireESchultz
    Options
    Hi,

I follow weight watchers as I find it really easy to gauge portions and I log my meals into MFP.

I need a motivation friend too :-)
    Much Love
    xoxo
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I JUST JOINED WEIGHT WATCHERS YESTERDAY AND I WOULD LOVE TO MOTIVATE YOU AS YOU DO THE SAME FOR ME. ADD ME
  • fkirkend
    fkirkend Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am planning on joining Weight Watchers on Monday. Good luck to you all!
  • alwaystricia
    Options
    I did WW but can no longer find time for meetings. I found that as long as I'm able to keep track of what I eat with MFP I can still lose the weight and use the money I would have spent on WW to buy something nice for myself instead.
  • kellymbock
    kellymbock Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I tried weight watchers for years. I wanted to try this for something diffrent. I am on day four of MFP and find it really easy and motivating. Feel free to add me.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I did WW many times both the Meetings and Online.

I find MFP works better for me.

However, when it comes to weight loss, there is no One Size Fits All :)

Whatever journey you choose, best of luck to you :)
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am an MFP'er who switched to WW when I couldn't break through a plateau.

The bottom line is you're still counting, you're just doing it with a different kind of system, and there are pros and cons to both counting calories on MFP and counting points on WW.

I just wrote a full critique on my blog: http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com/2013/08/does-weight-watchers-really-work.html

I hope this helps and I'd welcome people's thoughts.
  • 0Caligirl0
    0Caligirl0 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love the ease of use of the MFP site. I also just signed up for WW 360. I'm not sure why actually. What is the benefit of WW?
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    Right now that is what I am doing. But it was more to see how my calories worked out with my points.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The points system Weight Watchers uses was designed under the assumption that the reason you struggle with "eating healthy" is because your diet is lacking in a proper amount of fruits & vegetables, which are naturally very low in calorie. People who don't eat sufficient amounts of these instead replace them with higher calorie foods. If this is not your problem, if your diet already is rich in fruits and veggies, the WW system will not work for you and you should instead be counting calories.

That being said, the WW system of counting "points" cannot be combined with other systems because of how it works. If you're on this site and logging your food, and you're ALSO adhering to WW points values, you're doing it wrong.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I love the ease of use of the MFP site. I also just signed up for WW 360. I'm not sure why actually. What is the benefit of WW?

The only benefit to WW is getting you into the habits of making fruits & veggies a larger part of your diet. If it already comprises a sizable chunk of it, you won't get any benefit from WW at all.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The points system Weight Watchers uses was designed under the assumption that the reason you struggle with "eating healthy" is because your diet is lacking in a proper amount of fruits & vegetables, which are naturally very low in calorie. People who don't eat sufficient amounts of these instead replace them with higher calorie foods. If this is not your problem, if your diet already is rich in fruits and veggies, the WW system will not work for you and you should instead be counting calories.

That is pretty much what happened to me. I was on WW, but I eat quite a lot of fruit and veggies... more than the average WW person. I lost weight initially on WW under the old plan, but my progress stalled out. I thought of trying to attach points to f/v myself, as we know f/v are not zero calories. I found MFP and started losing weight on MFP, so for me that works better. I'm accountable for everything I put in my mouth - nothing is FREE. :) Actually still have my membership with WW but haven't tracked points in a very long time! I was waiting to make sure that MFP worked on a more permanent basis for me and it does seem to be.
  • 0Caligirl0
    Options
    This is what I thought too... I think I'm going to cancel my WW membership I bought two days ago...
  • thisgirlsonfire
    thisgirlsonfire Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!

I was looking around and I think I'm going to put some serious effort into trying the Weight Watchers program. I lost about 20 lbs when I did it a few years ago, and then decided " i can do this on my own " and gained it all back, and then some.

I was wondering if anyone does WW and also tracks their calories on here?

I'm looking for new friends that we can help motivate each other!
    I do WW. MFP add me on 1200 calories. Doing WW and eating 26 points a day I'm still eating between 1250-1350 depending on my diet that day. One program has you tracking points and one has you tracking calories.

Some times I use my exercise points earned. (Points- increase) I often earn 4-10 points depending on my activity level. Calorie wise I earn 200-380 more calories. I just bought the new silver calculator today. I had the blue one. I have been a Weight Watchers live time member for 11 years (Joined- March 2002) my weight has gone up by 8 pounds in the last 2 months. WHY? My guess I HAD STOP WEIGHT WATCHERS"! I have maintained my weight for 11 years and 3 months doing WW. In an effort to lose 10 pounds I tried doing MFP with out WW. I gained 8 pounds. So now I am just trying to lose 13.

I think everyone is unique and what works for one may not work for another. So along with journal on MFP I am also back with Weight Watchers.
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options

That being said, the WW system of counting "points" cannot be combined with other systems because of how it works. If you're on this site and logging your food, and you're ALSO adhering to WW points values, you're doing it wrong.

HUH?

W/W can be combined and utilized most balanced diets out there. I am doing nothing wrong with either MFP or W/W. I am tracking the both (more as an experiment) and my MFP caloric intake combines very well with the Points assigned by W/W.
  • 0Caligirl0
    Options
    By no means do I only track my calories on MFP. In fact, I find it's customizable to track any macronutrient or mineral (Carb, protein, sugar, fiber, sodium, etc) based on your needs. It's helpful to learn this data also as you log each item you eat or plan to eat to make educated choices, rather than an obscure "point" value. Especially when veggies and fruit are loaded with nutrient values and psychologically I like to see the fiber I'm getting rather than thinking of any food as free. I dunno, both systems do work similarly, and it's likely a matter of preference.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have done WW for years and I think it is a really good program. I am up 30 pounds simply because I stopped doing it. This year, I went back and still wasn't doing it so I decided to switch to something that is free.

The bottom line is, we have to decide to do it and maintain that determination to follow through. It can be WW, it can be MFP, it can be both, but if you don't DO IT and stick with it, you will fail.

I personally think that one place to track is plenty. If I do MFP, it will work, if I do WW it will work. Doubling up will not make either one work better.
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options

The only benefit to WW is getting you into the habits of making fruits & veggies a larger part of your diet. If it already comprises a sizable chunk of it, you won't get any benefit from WW at all.

For me that is not the only benefit. I like the support and information that I get from attending the meetings. Especially at the beginning, it helped me keep on track knowing that I would need to weigh in with a live person. With that being said, everyone should choose what works best for them and their situation.
  • Rachel_rara
    Options
    Hi all. I used my fitness pal and got on really well but need a different outlook. So I decided to WW, tried for a month and put on 2lbs :( so I have given up and started MFP again. The WW meeting was great and the other members great. Really looking for more people to help me on here to support my journey. Please add me. xxxx
  • Anniecakesss
    Options
    I did weight watchers for a year when I was 19 and I lost 100 pounds. It worked perfectly. Then I stopped and gained 100+ pounds back. Doing my fitness pal now for about 4 months and I've lost 43 pounds. My major gripe with weight watchers is that I lost weight but didn't learn how to eat. It doesn't (or didn't) care about sugar. Now I realize how much sugar everything has in it. Also, when I used the program I had no clue...zero...about how many calories I needed and fat and sugar and every nutrient. I was just following a plan. It's eye opening to see what you eat on a daily basis on MFP. Weight watchers I remember one of my friends eating a whole thing of cool whip and it was only a minimal amount of points. Does anyone really even know what cool whip is?? Disgusting for you! And you could eat it!

I know you lose weight either way but I'd like to think that my fitness pal will prepare me more for the future. I can't say how it will work out in the future but I find MFP is free easy and informative compared to weight watchers. But if you can loose weight with WW and not MFP---go for WW. It helped me immensely to lose weight!

Also, recently i've tried ww and couldn't get back into it. Maybe because of the familiarity of it? I don't know it just wouldn't work.

Hope this gave some insight.