Giving Up the Incline Bench Press! :)

Options
2»

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My husband has impingement and has found that using dumbbells with a neutral grip helps with the shoulder. Like this.

My brother keeps telling me I need to do "Turkish get-ups" to strengthen my (sore) shoulder. Instead, I swim 2200m twice a week. Seems to be improving.

• kennymoney300
    kennymoney300 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's a weak point probably bc many people focus on the flat bench first. Start hitting incline in the beginning of you're chest workout and I promise you will see results!
    The incline barbell benches in most gyms are just way too steep. Those things are very hard on my shoulders, especially having imingement in one shoulder.

I have found putting an adjustable bench at the penultimate lowest setting to be a great alternative. That along with using dumbbells. The upper chest is a weak point for a lot of lifters.

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's just not worth responding to... You keep doing what you're doing. I'll do what I do. Are you asking what good does the incline do for you or just putting down a workout movement that you struggle with? Well crossfit says their workouts mimic your everyday movements. I incline, flat, and overhead press. I do dips instead of decline. Strengthening different muscles help other lifts, it's the angles you hit the muscles at that help overall pressing. Correct benching and incline should be more about the triceps and lat base. Oh yeah, Turkish get ups initially started out as a form of torture way back in the day, trivia for one of the other replies. No one is forcing you to do inclines. To each their own. But some of us have been doing lifts for decades and find inclines are pretty valuable to overall strength. But you're talking about how does it help the everyday things. Okay declines you like so much help you push up off the couch kinda like dips. My incline helped me hang my ladder up in the garage, put something heavy up on a shelf, help push someone's car out of the intersection that was having trouble, push the manbun dude out of the way before he was crushed by heavy weights(JK had to throw that in). I've done power lifting, crossfit, strongman, and yoga, and now a little body building. All are different, all help in different ways. I always tell the crossfitters and runners go get help and I'll stay here and rip the doors off the car to get the accident victim out,lol. Do what you wanna do, it's okay. No one will hate you because you choose not to do incline. It's just common sense....right?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a new program this week...it has incline bench in it...I'm excited.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm starting a new program this week...it has incline bench in it...I'm excited.

I've switched from flat to incline for the time being and then I do OHP too. OHP is my favorite push.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    When you say giving up the incline, elaborate a little about your past experiences in incline bench. Are you really giving it up because it serves no purpose in everyday life or just because you don't have time?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    It's just common sense - in life we rarely push straight up or at an angle upwards - most of our upper-body pushing action is best simulated by the decline bench.

I'm finding there's so little time in life so I'm whittling the routine to the best, bare essentials to help in EVERYDAY LIVING!

The "bodybuilding" ethos and strategies pushed on us by the steroid-monkeys and publishers has been unnatural, unhealthy, and simply insane. :)

As a white collar office worker, almost nothing that I do in the gym has any "real world" application. Outside of the gym, I rarely grab something heavy and curl it, pull heavy weights toward me in a rowing motion, put weight on my shoulders and then lower my body until my knees are bent, etc.

Weight training for a majority of people is all about getting stronger and improving one's body composition for the sake of getting stronger and improving one's body composition, without any associated functional usefulness outside of the gym. Given that, I don't see how the incline bench press is any more or less useful than any other exercise.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I have incline for the first time in almost a year. So so so happy
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    May go for a max tonight on incline, 360-365 would be cool. Hit 350 a month ago.