How to keep the motivation? I really need help with that

Options
So I'm open to any suggestion on how to stay motivated during the whole journey because that's really what I'm lacking at the moment...

Replies

• mariazmabey
    mariazmabey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their good and bad days or weeks but if you've got the right mind set you'll be fine :) I find taking before and after pictures really help seeing your body change that makes me motivated to see even more results..
  • seximama2017
    seximama2017 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Love this thread of peeps! Great motivations goin on here and I certainly agree with the pics. I personally put a pic on the fridge to remind me of my goals-- helps to make good choices as I reach go the handle
  • seximama2017
    seximama2017 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm with @genpopadopolous, WHY is always my motivator, I could care less about the numbers on a scale. If that's your motivation that's cool too but I find always being mindful, or reminding yourself of your reasons WHY you're putting yourself thru tough workouts and logging food tediously even when it gets annoying sometimes, is easier to maintain long term.

For me personally, my WHY is my family. Having a mother and grandfather that are type 2 diabetics, and a brother who's type 1 is a huge reminder of WHY choosing to live a healthy lifestyle is important. Seeing them poke needles daily just to live is enough to motivate me to want to do everything I can to avoid being in a position like that myself.

My suggestion is to find that WHY in your life and make that the goal.

I can totally relate. My dad's side of the family have always been and had tendencies of being grossly obese. My dad, now 60, is on dialysis 3 x a week, diabetic, has had a stroke due to diabetic coma, and is on the verge of amputation of his right foot. My WHY is right in front of me. My brothers (I have 5 and I'm the eldest and only girl) all are overweight and one is 28 with the health rate of a 60 year old bc of his obesity all his life (pushing 400lbs.) I don't nor will I allow myself to be that way at 60. I will do whatever I can to help me in this Dept. I don't want my children to care for me bc of a self-induced condition, and I want to be an example for my children, as well.

So can these emotions and witnessing of these dilapidating illnesses be considered motivation? I guess it is all a matter of perspective ✌
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I feel like motivation is largely a myth.
    What works and gives results is dedication---and that is built by habit.

Agreed! I think motivation is a "spark" that can really ignite something in a person and make them take those first brave steps into the gym or make them throw out the junk in their cupboards and vow to start a healthier life but I don't think motivation is something you can sustain in that sense. You need to not be relying on it anyway. Instead self-discipline will create a habit eventually if you're disciplined enough to keep on going even on days when you're not motivated.
  • mariecb07
    mariecb07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Things that help me:
    • Remembering why I want to be healthier. I recommend actually writing out by hand (not typing) a detailed, lengthy list of all the things that make you want to be healthy, that you could do/do more easily if you were healthy, that make it worth the effort, etc. My list has everything from "Lower my risk of diabetes, which runs in the family" to "I want to be able to backpack across Europe" to "I want to live long enough to see my nephew get married" to "I will like shopping for clothes more" to "My back won't hurt so much."
    • Remembering that motivation follows a behavior rather than proceeds it. We're only motivated to do thing X because we did it once before and it was good. Things have to be rewarded before they feel rewarding. If you wait until you feel ready/motivated, you wait forever.
    • Trying not to prioritize how I feel and instead focus on what I know/think. I never feel like going to the gym. Never ever. Not once in my entire life, even when I was a student athlete. If that was the deciding factor, I wouldn't go. But I think I should go and I know I will benefit if I do. So I go.
    • Company. My sister is also working to get healthier, and we check in with each other and cheer each other on and mourn the lost progress and push through the plateaus and all of that.
    • Keep things interesting. I get bored with the same workouts especially. I need to try and do new things, and it helps me to mix up the days/times I work out.
    • Take breaks. Forgive myself for them. And then make corrections to stay on track.
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    AraSauret wrote: »
    So I'm open to any suggestion on how to stay motivated during the whole journey because that's really what I'm lacking at the moment...

For me, it isn't about motivation. It's habitual. It's waking up everyday and making a decision, making decisions throughout the day that aid me in reaching my goal. Positive affirmations, if you will.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Here's an MFP classic: "The Myth of Motivation (and what you need instead)"

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You're reason for doing something different needs to be stronger than your reason to keep doing things as you have been. For me, finally going keto full time became about how I felt overall, not just the weight loss.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Motivation will wane, great habits will stick with you.

That being said, I subscribe to every newsletter and blog I can find on healthy eating and spend my downtime reading them rather than watching TV. It helps me stay focused, not necessarily motivated.