Ground Turkey? Good or bad?

Options
So I made a decent amount of ground turkey and cooked it with a few spices (no salt) and a little olive oil. I've been eating some of it with meals, and it's pretty tasty! But is it actually all that good for you? I do weigh it, and don't eat all that much at a time, but I don't want to keep eating it if it's not going to help with my weight loss.
Thanks. :)

Replies

• goalreacher998
    goalreacher998 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Is there something you've heard/read that makes you think it's not going to help?

I love using ground turkey for tacos!

~Lyssa

No, not necessarily. I've just never really eaten ground turkey before so I don't know how much fat or anything is in it. It tastes great! I'm just starting my weight loss so I guess that's why I'm not sure what's "good" or bad.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    No specific food helps with weight loss... Therefore by your theory you should stop eating everything. Small problem however, you might die of starvation... But at least you would have lost weight.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Is there something you've heard/read that makes you think it's not going to help?

~Lyssa

No, not necessarily. I've just never really eaten ground turkey before so I don't know how much fat or anything is in it. It tastes great! I'm just starting my weight loss so I guess that's why I'm not sure what's "good" or bad.

Everything is good...unless you're allergic to it or eat too much of it.

I find it helps to think of things in combination - getting protein, fat and carbs in a meal - helps a lot. Pay attention to what tastes good and keeps you satisfied - finding that balance is key. Something high in calories that leaves you hungry soon after probably should be a "sometimes" food. High in calories, but satisfied for a long time? Just fine, no matter what it is.

Ground turkey is generally a pretty lean meat. It's a great lower-fat option for a lot of red meats.

Enjoy!

~Lyssa
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

~Lyssa

First thing to do would be to stop labeling food as good or bad.

Then the 2nd and 3rd things to do would be to stop believing what the marketers want you to believe about a food being "good" or "bad".

I've never been a fan of the phrase "what they don't want you to know", but in the case of the diet industry, there's a whole lot of stuff "they don't want you to know".

Going with CICO here on MFP has been nothing short of liberating....and successful. And I eat chocolate chip cookies almost every night. Fits in my calorie budget just fine. If it fits, it's not "bad".
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes terrible and smells even worse, so therefore, BAD.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's a lean protein. It's a very fine lean protein.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There are no good or bad foods when it comes to weight loss, just good/bad habits.
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    It's ground turkey. Not cocaine. It's fine.

:laugh:
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Ground turkey caused laboratory rats to go into starvation mode. That's what Dr. Oz said on Friday. :|
    Aww. I hope those rats didn't gain too much. I hope they're on raspberry ketones and acv...
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options

~Lyssa

if you are wieghing it then you know how much fat is in it. Any who.. Lean turkey is a great lean meat and something I often bulk cook to add to my eggs
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I make really good turkey meatballs with a peach barbecue sauce...
    What the others said, don't label food as good or bad. If you like it and its going to fit in your calories, then it's "good"!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Love it. Love turkey burgers, turkey meat sauce with pasta, love love love it.

Unfortunately my family hates it for some reason.
    To answer your question, if it fits your calories its good. I'd say it's an excellent, lean choice especially if you drain some excess fat after cooking it.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The frozen ground turkey I get occasionally from Meijer is good. All of the other ground turkey I've had is bad, though.
    Oh, wait..that wasn't the question? :smiley:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So I made a decent amount of ground turkey and cooked it with a few spices (no salt) and a little olive oil. I've been eating some of it with meals, and it's pretty tasty! But is it actually all that good for you? I do weigh it, and don't eat all that much at a time, but I don't want to keep eating it if it's not going to help with my weight loss.
    Thanks. :)

Weight loss is about having a calorie deficit.
    Ground turkey is fine if the amount you have fits your calorie goal.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey white breast meat and chicken meat are very low in fat and calories. They don't taste as yummy as plain ground chicken and ground turkey which many people mistake as low fat and calorie.

I either use just the white breast meat ground with tomato paste..which beefs it up.. or I mix the plain ground chicken or turkey with the lean all white ground meat.