How many Whole Eggs can I consume every day?

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    On average 1.
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/
    The article above explains what the research behind eggs and cholesterol was about, and how it proves it is safe to consume some eggs as an adult, about 1 per day and not the unlimited eggs per day some people want to understand:
    "Of course, this research doesn’t give a green light to daily three-egg omelets. While a 2008 report from the Physicians’ Health Study supports the idea that eating an egg a day is generally safe for the heart, it also suggests that going much beyond that could increase the risk for heart failure later in life. "

Your post is interesting because here, in Italy, The oldest person in the world just died at 117 yrs about 2 or 3 weeks ago. She attributed her longevity to eating 3 eggs a day. Havard asked for a blood sample several years ago.

I would guess that just as in e.g. smoking or using a seat belt, doing or not doing some things only increases your risk of something bad happening, it does not guarantee disaster.
    Plus I think such conversations isolate elements that cannot be isolated. For example a person eating a mostly plant and fish based diet with no additives (as in traditional Mediterranean diet) and walking everywhere might have no problem or even benefit from eating 2 or 3 eggs per day. But can the same be said for a person eating red meat every day, with lots of heavily processed ingredients and having a desk job?
    Adding the 2-3 eggs on top of green salads, sardines, beans and 10 hours on your feet per day is not the same as a 3 egg omelette with a side dish of bacon, followed by a frozen meal for lunch and pizza for dinenr and just an hour at the gym every other day being your only physical activity.

When it comes to the famous old person in Italy etc, what we usually like to remember is that this person is eating eggs or drinking wine, but we forget that he/she had for years a lifestyle of red meat only on major holidays, chicken being the special Sunday meal and did not owe a car.
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a trainer and asked about this the other day. He said that I can eat two whole eggs per day and any beyond that should just be the white. I'll usually have 1-2 hard boiled eggs throughout the day and either scrambled egg whites or hard boiled whites (I just toss the yolk).
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I recommend 5 dozen if you are looking to be, roughly, the size of a barge.
    You beat me to it :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well- I'm trying to be barge sized- and right now about all I can handle is 8-10 (usually 4 whole- 6 whites- or some ratio of that).

sigh.
    Barge status will have to wait it seems.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'm just going off of your 5k calorie in one meal post, but for 5k, you can eat 68 large eggs. You may not want to do that...

And now I see it was only 4K :blushing:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    On average 1.
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/
    The article above explains what the research behind eggs and cholesterol was about, and how it proves it is safe to consume some eggs as an adult, about 1 per day and not the unlimited eggs per day some people want to understand:
    "Of course, this research doesn’t give a green light to daily three-egg omelets. While a 2008 report from the Physicians’ Health Study supports the idea that eating an egg a day is generally safe for the heart, it also suggests that going much beyond that could increase the risk for heart failure later in life. "

Your post is interesting because here, in Italy, The oldest person in the world just died at 117 yrs about 2 or 3 weeks ago. She attributed her longevity to eating 3 eggs a day. Havard asked for a blood sample several years ago.

I would guess that just as in e.g. smoking or using a seat belt, doing or not doing some things only increases your risk of something bad happening, it does not guarantee disaster.
    Plus I think such conversations isolate elements that cannot be isolated. For example a person eating a mostly plant and fish based diet with no additives (as in traditional Mediterranean diet) and walking everywhere might have no problem or even benefit from eating 2 or 3 eggs per day. But can the same be said for a person eating red meat every day, with lots of heavily processed ingredients and having a desk job?
    Adding the 2-3 eggs on top of green salads, sardines, beans and 10 hours on your feet per day is not the same as a 3 egg omelette with a side dish of bacon, followed by a frozen meal for lunch and pizza for dinenr and just an hour at the gym every other day being your only physical activity.

When it comes to the famous old person in Italy etc, what we usually like to remember is that this person is eating eggs or drinking wine, but we forget that he/she had for years a lifestyle of red meat only on major holidays, chicken being the special Sunday meal and did not owe a car.

You are correct, and that's why the famous "depends on context" enters into these types of discussions. However, I've observed that alot of elderly Italians, my mother-in-law included, eat alot of eggs. I would also think that eggs give older people alot of nutrients that they need.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    mebelfanti wrote: »
    I've been working with a trainer and asked about this the other day. He said that I can eat two whole eggs per day and any beyond that should just be the white. I'll usually have 1-2 hard boiled eggs throughout the day and either scrambled egg whites or hard boiled whites (I just toss the yolk).

Solid advice. Give your trainer a high five for me. I've asked trainers before and because they were also bodybuilders had the most ridiculous responses.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    mebelfanti wrote: »

Solid advice. Give your trainer a high five for me. I've asked trainers before and because they were also bodybuilders had the most ridiculous responses.

That's because they don't generally have training in nutrition, but rather tend to follow whatever broscience myths suit them. I wouldn't take nutritional advice from any trainer, unless they happen to also be a registered dietician. I love my trainer, but he stays within his scope.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 whole eggs daily. Egg whites do not have much nutritional value.
  • ladypew
    ladypew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'd have 3 maybe - eggs raise HDL (good type of) cholesterol.
  • ladypew
    ladypew Posts: 89 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Eggs are full of protein, good fats and lots of vitamins, minerals and omega 3 fatty acids
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're eating more than 10 or so you're likely to start losing friends