13»

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i wish gaining muscle was as easy as some people seem to think it is....

There would definitely be a lot more huge, ripped people walking around if it was that easy. Building muscle takes a lot of time, a lot of attention to nutrition and a lot of hard, consistent training. It certainly doesn't just happen by accident, or within the span of a few days/weeks/months.

so your saying I can't just pack on four pounds of muscle in four weeks?????????????

I'm going to Maui in 3 weeks, what can I do to get that body on the right of that picture so I'll look like a smokin' hot 63 year old beach bum? :D Joking aside, if I hadn't been listening to @AnvilHead, @ndj1979, @SideSteel, @cwolfman13 and others on here for the past 15 months I wouldn't even be wearing a swim suit on the beach. Thanks all for the excellent and thoughtful advice that helped with my success.
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Okay, okay, could we cut this out?

Too much muscle definition is subjective . She might never look like the Hulk, true, but that doesn't mean she can't become more muscular than she wants.

Honestly, I can understand that- at one point when I was dress shopping after clothing size changes, I suddenly discovered that despite going down a size, I couldn't wear those florally-patterned skater dresses without looking ridiculous, due to the juxtaposition of the very feminine style and my upper arms. Fortunately, my goal outfit isn't a skater dress so it wasn't a problem, but if it had been...
    (Also, sadly, I no longer have time for the routine that gave me that, so those muscles disappeared again over winter. Sob.)

OP: this article may be helpful for you: https://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

He writes about exactly the issue you're having and how he modifies routines for women who are looking more bulky than they want.

Thank you for that link! That is the first thing I have read that acknowledges some women can and do get bulkier than wanted. That sums up my experience. And, no, it wasn't just fat loss uncovering muscle. My arms, thighs, and waist were getting bigger and bigger. Clothes I had worn when I weighed 50 pounds more (lost with cardio alone) were getting too tight to wear. I left the trainers and joined a big box gym where I dropped almost all of the weight, and traded some resistance for yoga and zumba. I am much happier, my clothes fit again. Added bonuses - I'm working small muscles that were being completely ignored and I have better balance. Best of all, I no longer feel like I was repeatedly run over by a mac truck for days afterwards.

Fitness does not have one definition and there is more than one road to fitness. I don't know why so many are adamant about not accepting that and telling some of us were are wrong about what we experience.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Lift weights that you can do for 15-20 reps. Don't eat a lot of protein. Keep your body fat percentage higher. Granted since where you hold fat is genetic, you still may lose fat off your arms revealing more muscle, but there's not much you can do about that if you still have fat to lose.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Edit: Curious--how long did you work with that trainer? Did they adjust your diet as well or just give you exercises?

I worked with trainers (not always the same person) for a little over two years. I don't take nutrition advice from trainers who likely have fewer college credits in nutrition than I do. I don't need junk science and woo in my life. I did work with a nutritionist (RD).