How can I change running form??

I have been running now for 20 years; for many different reasons (pleasure, sport, military, fitness, etc)....however, I have always had really sucky form....I sound like a Clydesdale when I run, I have a reall hard heel spike on the ground, I don't think I move my arms properly, and overall, I am just not at all gracefull...in fact, I wouldn't really call it 'running' as much as 'lumbering'....

I am afraid if I try and change my current form, I might hurt myself becuase my body has been used to running improperly for so long. I would like to try and train for a half marathon in the future, but I would like to do so by doing it the right way...

Any suggestions to help break old habits?

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Same way you make any change: consciously, one step at a time, until it's second nature. If you're striking with the heel, consciously think about striking with the mid-foot when you run. What you do with your arms is really up to you, whatever is comfortable is fine. The only tips I've seen about arm movement is to avoid swinging your arms side-to-side excessively, because that's inefficient.
  • SergeantG
    SergeantG Posts: 92
    Same way you make any change: consciously, one step at a time, until it's second nature. If you're striking with the heel, consciously think about striking with the mid-foot when you run. What you do with your arms is really up to you, whatever is comfortable is fine. The only tips I've seen about arm movement is to avoid swinging your arms side-to-side excessively, because that's inefficient.

You say, 'mid food'....so should the 'ball' of the foot and the heel strike the ground simultaneously?
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    well the first step is admitting you have a problem :flowerforyou:
    I am not an expert..but since you are aware of your problems (heel striking, arm swing, and the loud foot fall) it should be "easier" to fix. I would start out, when you go for a run, play close attention to your form, make yourself hit your foot mid strke, go slower so it is easier to control. I might even recommend a more minimalist shoe..it makes heel striking not comforatable and will sort of force you to retain yourself. but go at is slowly, only a few miles at a time with the minimalist..but That is what I did and it seemed to help. I'm a pretty good mid foot striker now, and during races I actually have more of a fore front (going faster) once you stop heel striking your "clydesdale" sound will go away. I can sneak up on people running now. And when I'm running races and hear people's feet slamming the ground, I always think about how their backs must hurt when they are done!

as for the rest of the form, keep you head tall, shoulders back swing your arms form the shoulder, elbows bent, around hip level....
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Google Good Form Running.

Start here: http://www.goodformrunning.com/

Also, a couple of books that might help:
    Dr. Nicholas Romanov's Pose Method of Running, http://www.amazon.com/Nicholas-Romanovs-Method-Running-Education/dp/0972553762

ChiRunning, http://www.amazon.com/ChiRunning-Revolutionary-Approach-Effortless-Injury-Free/dp/1416549447

When I switched up my form I did it wearing vibram five finger shoes which pretty much force you to run with good form because running with bad for with no shoe cushion hurts a lot. It feels a little awkward at first but it soon becomes second nature and running the old way feels wrong.

If you do take the time to improve your form you will be very happy with the result because running is much more pleasant that way.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    You'd be surprised by the number of great runners that are heel strikers but I digress.

I'm lucky living in a northern climate. When I started running outside all year 'round and the snow arrived I had 2 choices.....shorten my stride or land on my butt. I opted for the former.

I never quite got into the Chi Running but the link Scott gave you for good form is very useful.