Converting Non-Walking exercises to steps

Options
ferd_ttp5
ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
How do you convert the Non-Walking exercises to Steps? Example I do 150 minutes of Moderate Cycling but my pedometer doesnt credit or counting that exercise to step. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I don't think you do. You log in 150 minutes of moderate cycling. Steps are steps and moderate cycling is moderate cycling.

Go to Diary; near the bottom, "Add Exercise"; find "Bicycling. moderate"; log in minutes and start time.
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I don't think you do. You log in 150 minutes of moderate cycling. Steps are steps and moderate cycling is moderate cycling.

Go to Diary; near the bottom, "Add Exercise"; find "Bicycling. moderate"; log in minutes and start time.
    Yes, thats what also come in my mind at first too but I heard that it can be convert to steps so I'd ask for answers here at MFP :smile:

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You simply divide the calories you burned doing the activity by they number of calories you burn per step. The average is 0.044 calories per step, so if you burned 750 calories cycling then you would have the equivalent of 17,000 steps.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "but I heard that it can be convert to steps"

I'm curious why you would want to do so. Why wouldn't you want a more accurate representation of your exercise, logging your cycling as cycling instead of converting it to something else.
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    You simply divide the calories you burned doing the activity by they number of calories you burn per step. The average is 0.044 calories per step, so if you burned 750 calories cycling then you would have the equivalent of 17,000 steps.
    Thanks sir :smile: finally I got a formula

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    150 minutes of cycling = 0 steps
    500 minutes of kayaking = 0 steps
    etc

This. Just log the activities as such.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    How do you convert the Non-Walking exercises to Steps? Example I do 150 minutes of Moderate Cycling but my pedometer doesnt credit or counting that exercise to step. Any help is appreciated thanks.

You don't. You log them as separate exercises either here on MFP or on your tracker website/app.
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    etc
    My purpose in converting cycling to step is to determine how much I move in a actual day.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

You don't. You log them as separate exercises either here on MFP or on your tracker website/app.

This
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    etc
    My purpose in converting cycling to step is to determine how much I move in a actual day.

I think that is sensible. I don't usually think in "steps" but I find it interesting to compare things like miles walking versus miles cycling.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to?????
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    etc

Why not convert you steps into minutes, or both into miles, and see how much you move that way? More accurate and easier.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    etc

The things that usually matter to me are: did I do soething every day, how much time did I spend exercising, how many calories did I burn, and, most importantly, did I hit my training goal for the day if I have one?