Calorie Deficit

Options
abs1970
abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
I know I've posted about this before, but I've just been given a talking to about my nutrition in the gym and had a bit of a 'lightbulb moment' so thought I'd share.

My BMR is around 1400 and that's before I even do a day's work or train etc. So eating around 1300 calories a day, going to work and training hard means I'm seriously underfeeding myself. Nothing I don't already know, but I guess it's just become habit.

Time for change....... I've been told to have one extra proper meal a day and stop logging my food. Well, that last bit's not gonna happen :D

Replies

• Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You are ripped so Im not saying a word... :lol:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    abs1970 wrote: »
    I know I've posted about this before, but I've just been given a talking to about my nutrition in the gym and had a bit of a 'lightbulb moment' so thought I'd share.

My BMR is around 1400 and that's before I even do a day's work or train etc. So eating around 1300 calories a day, going to work and training hard means I'm seriously underfeeding myself. Nothing I don't already know, but I guess it's just become habit.

Time for change....... I've been told to have one extra proper meal a day and stop logging my food. Well, that last bit's not gonna happen :D

I hope the advice sticks this time, as you said, people have been telling you this for quite a while now.

Also, I find BMR to not be a very helpful metric to know or keep track of. That is the amount of calories you would burn if you did nothing but lay in bed all day. Thankfully, most of us are not bedridden on this site. Understanding your TDEE, and eating at an appropriate level for your goals, is far more helpful, in my opinion. You have posted before about being very close to your goal and focusing on strength training. Eating at maintenance calories (ie TDEE) and focusing on recomposition is probably more aligned to your goals than eating anywhere near your BMR, or stressing about a piece of pizza when you have 800 calories left for the day.

Good luck. Hope that light bulb stays on!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? Unhealthy? Unable to build muscle? I don't know why you assume you're underfeeding yourself. The BMR is an estimate, a guide. To determine your specific BMR, you'd have to be tested in a lab.
  • abs1970
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    abs1970 wrote: »

I hope the advice sticks this time, as you said, people have been telling you this for quite a while now.

Also, I find BMR to not be a very helpful metric to know or keep track of. That is the amount of calories you would burn if you did nothing but lay in bed all day. Thankfully, most of us are not bedridden on this site. Understanding your TDEE, and eating at an appropriate level for your goals, is far more helpful, in my opinion. You have posted before about being very close to your goal and focusing on strength training. Eating at maintenance calories (ie TDEE) and focusing on recomposition is probably more aligned to your goals than eating anywhere near your BMR, or stressing about a piece of pizza when you have 800 calories left for the day.

Good luck. Hope that light bulb stays on!

Thanks - I just need to focus on eating more :)
  • abs1970
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    Are you hungry? Unhealthy? Unable to build muscle? I don't know why you assume you're underfeeding yourself. The BMR is an estimate, a guide. To determine your specific BMR, you'd have to be tested in a lab.

If I'm hungry then I eat, am very healthy, but would just like to see more muscle definition which doesn't seem to be happening. Even if my BMR is just a guide, I'm eating way under it at the moment.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen enough of your posts to know why you think you've been doing things so wrong, but the focus on healthy, sustainable habits is never a bad thing. Good for you.
  • abs1970
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I haven't seen enough of your posts to know why you think you've been doing things so wrong, but the focus on healthy, sustainable habits is never a bad thing. Good for you.

Thanks. I haven't necessarily been doing things that wrong, but just should be consuming more calories than I am. Loving my healthy lifestyle though - that won't change o:)