marinades

Options
So im marinating some steaks in italian dressing for grilling. How much dressing should i track?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Weigh the prepared marinade, then weigh what's left after you remove the steaks. The difference is how much you used, divide between number of steaks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have never once tracked a marinade...IMO, it's not worth the time and effort...not that much is actually going to stick to the meat.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Not much. Depending on thick the dressing is and how big the steaks are, I would think something like 1tbsp would be reasonable.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you actually cook the steak in it, then it will use more. I usually eyeball what is left in the container and estimate though.

I track mainly for sodium content, though.
  • arisoh
    arisoh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Weigh the prepared marinade, then weigh what's left after you remove the steaks. The difference is how much you used, divide between number of steaks.

But what about liquids that have different absorption rates and calories?

Say, soy sauce , lime juice and olive oil in a marinade. You cant assume that they all get absorbed in a 1:1:1 ratio. In theory, if 3 oz worth of liquid gets absorbed, you don't know if it's 1 oz of each, or 0.9 oz of one, 1.1 oz of another and 1 oz of the last.

But that sort of overthinking is only if you're SUPER OCD, I guess (like me :D ).
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm marinating all the time, and don't strain my brain too much on this question.

Or, more exactly, I strained my brain once or twice, and now relax about the situation going forward, LOL.

If the marinade is oily, or goopy (e.g., yogurt/greek yogurt or buttermilk based), then I approximate the contribution of the marinade to the proportion of the total meat marinated that I consume. Without a lot of precise measurements, you can't tell what's been absorbed, cooked away, or denatured into something from the heat (what DOES the Maillard [browning] reaction do to the nutrients in a yogurt marinade when you've grilled?). While oil and dairy marinade components can add up, citrus juices, zest, herbs and such don't amount to much. Sodium I try to be precise with, even though I don't have a sodium problem (and don't want one).

It can get crazy. For instance, if I use a can of coconut milk with citrus and other stuff, then have a lot left in the marinade bag/container when I pull out the meat, I simply proportion by eye (e.g., started with 1 cup total on 3 lbs meat, had 1/2 cup remaining, ate 8 oz [raw weight] of the meat, therefore ingested 1/6 of 1/2 cup, or approx 0.67 oz). For coconut milk, in the example above, I therefore think the the numbers are about 10 cals, 2g protein, 10 mg sodium, 1g carb, 1g protein. For Friendship brand buttermilk [the one I can get most often], that means about 10 cal, 3g fat, 12 mg sodium, 1g carb and 2g protein - it's not worth, in terms of the numbers and diminishing returns, to get more precise than that - and, thank goodness, as repeated entries in my database, I don't have to compute these every time).

I presume, even with care, my daily counts might be as much as 10% erroneous from what's totaled up from diligent logging, due to everything from faulty food database entries, rounding errors, allowed FDA variations on label declarations, the natural variability of agricultural products, etc.

As long as my bathroom scale is moving in the correct direction (20 lbs lost since Jan 1st - and "every pound a victory"), then I don't sweat SOME of the details. Do what you can for as much precision as you can for the larger impactors that you can, and be "reasonable" on the rest (I try to be a "reasonable guy," LOL). I also tell MFP I'm a less weight/less active than I am, so that it calculates my macro targets at a level where I don't obsess if I occasionally stray over them.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    arisoh wrote: »

But what about liquids that have different absorption rates and calories?

Say, soy sauce , lime juice and olive oil in a marinade. You cant assume that they all get absorbed in a 1:1:1 ratio. In theory, if 3 oz worth of liquid gets absorbed, you don't know if it's 1 oz of each, or 0.9 oz of one, 1.1 oz of another and 1 oz of the last.

But that sort of overthinking is only if you're SUPER OCD, I guess (like me :D ).

You're on your own, at that point.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    I'm marinating all the time, and don't strain my brain too much on this question.

Or, more exactly, I strained my brain once or twice, and now relax about the situation going forward, LOL.

... ( omitted ) ...

As long as my bathroom scale is moving in the correct direction (20 lbs lost since Jan 1st - and "every pound a victory"), then I don't sweat SOME of the details. Do what you can for as much precision as you can for the larger impactors that you can, and be "reasonable" on the rest (I try to be a "reasonable guy," LOL). I also tell MFP I'm a less weight/less active than I am, so that it calculates my macro targets at a level where I don't obsess if I occasionally stray over them.

OK, that was a "good enough" answer the other day. Now I have to strain my brain again, LOL.

Background: I was on a "blood thinner," coumadin (a/k/a warfarin) for some years. Some of you might know this substance (which is actually rat poison - true) interacts with Vitamin K (found in green, especially dark green veggies, and which the body uses in regulating blood clotting). This means, among other things, you need to monitor and/or moderate your greens consumption. I recently got fed up with the restriction, switched to another anticoagulant and have gone a bit "greens crazy" the last few weeks.

Among other things, I've been making "green goops" such as sofrito, salsa verde and tonight, chimichurri.

Chimichurri takes mass quantities - several bunches each - of parsley, cilantro and some oregano (plus a few spices and optional flavorants such as lemon or lime), and via blenderization with EVOO, yields a smallish amount of really green, great-tasting pureed sauce/marinade. Especially great with grilled meats. It's an Argentinian condiment. Salsa verde is a somewhat-similar Italian-origin sauce. Sofrito is Caribbean, and in the recipe I used, is mainly just veggies that pick up oil calories when sauteed as a flavor base in other dishes, such as rice (in fact, that's how I counted it for my MFP log: x of veggie, y of oil, z of rice).

Well, computing the macros on these green goops is an interesting challenge. You'd think, at a first approximation, that the EVOO contribution (calories and fat, anyway) is a good guideline; maybe it is. The calorie counts in a few handfuls of herbs can vary (leaves only, stems and leaves, how "moist or dry" for weight vs. "puree or intact" volume, etc.). There are chimichurri entries in the MFP database, and the question is: how good are they, really?

So, I'm not feeling so smug about my previous posting on this thread tonight, LOL. Not really worried, however; I believe this stuff is pretty clean/healthy. As a marinade, the macro counts might be similar to an oily vinaigrette marinade. However, you also spoon this stuff on pretty heavily on the finished entree.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    The salsa verde I know is Mexican. What's the difference with the Italian?
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Italian salsa verde is mostly pureed parsley, more resembles a pesto or chimichurri (that is, a herb puree). Mexican-style is more tomatillos (that is, it's a "fruit" salsa - tomatoes and tomatillos are both fruit). That's next on my "greens parade" (or soon, anyway, LOL).

"So much green, so little time!"
  • cmtigger
    Options

Italian salsa verde is mostly pureed parsley, more resembles a pesto or chimichurri (that is, a herb puree). Mexican-style is more tomatillos (that is, it's a "fruit" salsa - tomatoes and tomatillos are both fruit). That's next on my "greens parade" (or soon, anyway, LOL).

I've made the Mexican kind many times.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options

Great! Pointers, please ... baked, boiled or grilled tomatillos? Cerrano or jalapeno? Avocado in, or as an add-on? I'll probably cycle through variants of a basic recipe over time, finding what works udner various circumstances.

I'm contemplating a baked salsa verde chicken as my first foray with this sauce (outside of eating it in restaurants). Or, possibly, grilled chicken with salsa verde topping. Will salsa verde marinade well, or, if I dilute with more lime juice, can it marinade for flavor?

Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.
  • cmtigger
    Options

Great! Pointers, please ... baked, boiled or grilled tomatillos? Cerrano or jalapeno? Avocado in, or as an add-on? I'll probably cycle through variants of a basic recipe over time, finding what works udner various circumstances.

I'm contemplating a baked salsa verde chicken as my first foray with this sauce (outside of eating it in restaurants). Or, possibly, grilled chicken with salsa verde topping. Will salsa verde marinade well, or, if I dilute with more lime juice, can it marinade for flavor?

Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

I don't usually use a recipe. But it's usually grilled or fried tomatillos, cilantro, jalapeño or Serrano, garlic, onion, some kind of acid (vinegar, lime juice, or lemon juice), and maybe spices if I feel like it. (Cumin, oregano or chiles of some sort.)

If I add avocado, it's either avocado salsa or guacamole depending on how much avocado and if there is sour cream. That is served cold or room temperature because avocado usually isn't good warm.

The regular salsa verde without avocado is a great marinade. I've been known to dump a purchased or jar that I've canned over chicken in the crock pot.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    OK, thanks. we'll see how it goes! Can't be bad no matter how, I'm thinking ...
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    OK, thanks. we'll see how it goes! Can't be bad no matter how, I'm thinking ...

And it wasn't, LOL!

I was at the store getting some chicken for tonight, and stopped to look at the tomatillos. Next thing I know, I'm home with a bunch, making up a batch of salsa verde. This was an ad hoc Southwestern-theme night, with grilled chicken/salsa verde, homemade black bean salad, avocado lime mash (NOT guac), and grilled veggies.

The salsa was fairly easy - I roasted the veg in the oven while prepping the other things, and, when they cooled, ran them through the food processor some cilantro and lime juice to get the salsa. I made the chicken in an otherwise plain lime-onion-garlic marinade, then brushed on some of the salsa when I flipped the pieces. The bulk of the salsa was left for garnish when the chicken was served. Still have a big part of the batch left in the fridge.

When typing the above posts, I had thought maybe the salsa was going to our Friday night special.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I have an entry for "Marinade" at 50 cal. I use it for all marinades and figure it evens out over time. Agree that salt is usually the bigger issue.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    2nd night on yesterday's tomatillo salsa verde. New batch of lemon-salsa verde marinated grilled chicken breast with salsa verde garnish, topped with shredded cheese (microwaved to melt); leftover black bean salad and new batch of assorted grilled veggies (multicolored peppers and onions mostly). Yum; salsa is even better tonight. MFP computes this plate as about 827 cals, 99g protein, 26g fat, 54g carb, 15g fiber. I'm on 2000 cal/day plan; this plate ran me close to my daily limits today.

You can see the salsa verde peeking out of the cheese on the side.

We have a few spoonfuls of the salsa verde left; I'm thinking ... sauteed into scrambled eggs for breakfast? Hmmmm ...

n9txzh0gsq9a.png