Long Stride Length For Short Woman?

Options
neldabg
neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
I'm 5'2 and I'm trying to calculate my stride length. FitBit counts steps fine, but underestimates my miles walked, and I decided to finally do something about it. I walked two miles at a local park for a total of 3660 steps. For FitBit, the formula is inches walked/steps. For me, the distance is 126720 inches/3660 steps= 34.6229508 inches. My default walking stride is 25.4 inches and my default running is 38.5 inches. The average 5'4 woman has a ~26.4 inch stride, so I think I might have done something wrong.
What might have gone wrong with my calculations?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "What might have gone wrong with my calculations? "

Who measured the two mile park walk? How accurate is that measurement?
    Did you count your 3660 steps in that "two" mile walk or is that what your FitBit said it was?
    You might want to go to a football field or track and count your steps for the 100 yards (300feet) or quarter mile (1320 feet). An actual count on a carefully measured course.
  • neldabg
    edited May 2017
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Did you count your 3660 steps in that "two" mile walk or is that what your FitBit said it was?
    You might want to go to a football field or track and count your steps for the 100 yards (300feet) or quarter mile (1320 feet). An actual count on a carefully measured course.

Good point. I just trusted that the miles were correct. After searching around Google, I can't find any background on the park's construction. It was built to help encourage fitness in my community, and it has four signs that show each quarter mile walked from 0-1 mile.
    I walked the path twice and counted myself for each .25 mile and added those steps up.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »

Good point. I just trusted that the miles were correct. After searching around Google, I can't find any background on the park's construction. It was built to help encourage fitness in my community, and it has four signs that show each quarter mile walked from 0-1 mile.
    I walked the path twice and counted myself for each .25 mile and added those steps up.

If you use the UA Record App. It uses the GPS function in your phone to calculate distance.
  • neldabg
    Options
    LeoT0917 wrote: »
    neldabg wrote: »

If you use the UA Record App. It uses the GPS function in your phone to calculate distance.

Thanks. I don't have it, but I'll try it out. ^^
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic app and it also uses phone GPS sync to tell fit bit the stride length. The problem is I don't use it for general steps unless it is a serious walk but even that is different than general walking.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, my Garmin records my stride length in real time when I walk or run, and it changes from step to step.