My scale had a seizure

Options
RelCanonical
RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I think it wants new batteries. I had to estimate my strawberries. D: Fortunately they were just strawberries and not like, cheese or something. I have to bring my work scale home until I find a screw driver tiny enough to fit in the tiny screw holding the battery cover open. Hopefully they use AA instead of AAA.

It was doing this for about 20 minutes. I couldn't turn it off. I'll have to see if it's still doing it when I get home. EDIT: Links to a video:

https://youtu.be/JWh_aPgewpA

Moral of the story: Always have a backup scale.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, my scale has those little button batteries (like in a watch). Good luck, and glad you had a backup. I would have been out of luck.
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    Just FYI, my scale has those little button batteries (like in a watch). Good luck, and glad you had a backup. I would have been out of luck.

I'll mentally prepare myself for the possibility that they are those. Honestly, I'd probably get a new scale if that was the case. I got it online but I have Prime so it's all good.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Hehe. Not only would I have the screw drivers necessary to open nearly anything (watch casings included) but also pretty much nearly every type of battery imaginable.

Sometimes I do love having a messy, collect it all family :tongue:

Good luck with the replacing :smile:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have had this struggle with some items, one of which is in a drawer because I can't remember where the tiny screwdrivers I haven't used in three moves are.

I also managed to waterlog a set of scales. So I now have two!

My person scales also had an epic meltdown and were showing dramatic instant weight loss whilst standing on them. Battery didn't fix so a new set again.

The weight loss technology struggle is real.
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    I have had this struggle with some items, one of which is in a drawer because I can't remember where the tiny screwdrivers I haven't used in three moves are.

I also managed to waterlog a set of scales. So I now have two!

My person scales also had an epic meltdown and were showing dramatic instant weight loss whilst standing on them. Battery didn't fix so a new set again.

The weight loss technology struggle is real.

My person scale is being a little sassy right now, so it might get the boot too. It likes to get "stuck" at a certain weight until I lose enough (to prevent freakouts over fluctuations, I guess) but the amount it "needs" to shift to my actual weight keeps getting bigger and bigger. Used to be 1/2 a pound, now it's like 1.5 pounds. So, I'll be exactly 197.4 pounds everyday, no matter what time, for two weeks, and then suddenly lose almost two pounds. Silly scale.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same scale. It froze on Saturday night... wouldn't turn off at all. Then wouldn't turn back on when I took the batteries off and replaced them.

It did last a while though (I had also waterlogged the last one). And yeah... I always have a backup scale, it's easier than running to the store for an emergency (I've gone through 5 scales in 4 years so far).

To be fair, I had issues with that one anyway, sometimes it wouldn't record any weight at all if it was something light (like grated cheese or butter) and it was a real PITA at times.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If my food scale went out, it might be ME having the seizure
  • fatica357
    fatica357 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My food scale goes berserk if I try to use it too near an on microwave.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

I'll mentally prepare myself for the possibility that they are those. Honestly, I'd probably get a new scale if that was the case. I got it online but I have Prime so it's all good.

My Taylor scale uses two CR2032 batteries (flat round disks). Since you use Prime, consider something like: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-CR2032-Lithium-Coin-Cell/dp/B008XBK7PG/ref=sr_1_7_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1493677278&sr=1-7&keywords=CR2032 -- 20 of the little buggers for less than $9. Especially useful since we have other household items that use this size (dive computer; kids toy thingy, etc.)
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Taylor scales are easy to find -- Target carries them -- but in my experience are of poor quality and are frequently defective. I bought one, returned it because it plum didn't work, and then bought a different model which MOSTLY works except for the 3 LCD segments that never show.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I'm very happy with my Perfect Portions scale (in case you decide to buy a new one). I got it a couple of years ago at Bed, Bath and Beyond. :)
  • RelCanonical
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Quick update, since I'm sure you're all dying to know.

I found my adjustable screwdriver which worked. The screw was tiny, but it didn't seem too unmanageable. It was longer than expected.

3QoglPU.jpg

Sure enough, it's one of those lithium batteries. I am resigned.

TNdDekf.jpg

I pulled the battery out, stuck it back in, and for kittens and giggles, tried it again. It worked (edit: apparently the language filter didn't catch that word, so now it is kittens).

4Tic4L5.jpg

Who knows how long it'll continue to work, but hey, if it lasts a week then I'm happy. Also, I'm not putting the screw back in because eff that.

vS7POds.jpg

I took these pictures on my bed because I had the excellent idea to bring the scale to my cell phone to take the picture rather than taking the phone to the scale. It's Monday.