My cholesterol is out of this world high - what can I do?

Options
2»

Replies

• yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    LDL number from the basic blood test is not reliable, they just calculate it from some formula. Ask your doctor for a more comprehensive test where they actually measure the number of LDL particles and also the size of the particles.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I took meds and reduced cholesterol in my diet. The meds helped, the diet didn't. So the next thing was to increase meds.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    rontafoya wrote: »
    Any idea WHY your cholesterol is so high? Without that info, I don't know why everyone is spewing so much advice. I never had high cholesterol, but my numbers actually improved eating a ton of eggs, coconut oil, and bacon. Of course I had also started pumping iron so I am guessing I converted a lot of that to testosterone. My point is, this is complex, and without knowing why your numbers are jacked, you are just flailing. One thing I can say definitively is this: if you feel good, energized, alert, and ready to conquer the world after you eat something, that was a good meal. If you feel sluggish, bloated, sleepy...that was garbage you ate.

Because that's what we do here in the forums. "Spew advice". And gosh darn it, no one has ever benefited from any advice we have spewn forth. I guess we should all go eat worms now. Who knows. It may even improve cholesterol.
  • valdilda
    valdilda Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I had the same problem and when I got my test results I finally went vegan. I haven't regretted it one bit! I prefer eating vegan than taking medication. And as much as it's good for my health, it's also good for the animals and the planet :)
    BTW my doctor actually suggested to eat no animal fats so that's what I needed to hear to transition to vegan completely.
    Oh and yes my cholesterol is much lower now.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Ya'll, thank you for the responses.

I went with a low dietary cholesterol, low trans and saturated fats, high mono and poly unsaturated fats, and high fiber diet. I exercised 3ish times per week, and had a glass of wine or so occasionally but generally didn't drink a lot.

My cholesterol went from 285 to 203 in 7 weeks!!! My doc is happy, and I am too. I haven't eaten QUITE as clean since I got the good news, but still definitely trying to keep to the same diet that I was to get the cholesterol down.