Marathon Training - Tips, Advice, Help?

Options
Hey everyone,

Ok, so one of my all time fitness/bucket list goals is to run a marathon, I'd like to run a half first but I figure I can train for a full and run a half three to four (maybe even six) months before the full. I have a full race picked out (I haven't registered just yet) for next year, and I'm still looking for a half to run sometime before then. I run pretty regularly, about 2-3 times a week, but not very long distances 5 to 10k's (3-6 miles) are my max at the moment. I have a some what good starting base but I also know that training for a half or even a full is going to be very different from training for a 10k. I figure a year will give me enough time strengthen my running technique and hopefully prepare me for both the full and the half (when I get one picked out).

What I'm wondering is how will my eating habits most likely change? What's the hardest thing about training for a half or a full? What are some tips, advice, or helpful/encouraging words you can give me for training and on race day?

I've looked up a few training programs for a full marathon, and printed off a bunch of tips and advice articles from different running magazines. But I wanted to get some advice from here as well, because I know there are a lot of people who do these sorts of things on here on a more regular basis than me. Some of ya'll are definitely better trained on the subject than me and I'd really like to hear what advice ya'll have to give.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help you guys give :smile:.

Replies

• DiannaOnMaui
    DiannaOnMaui Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am a long time runner/cyclist/triathlete coming back from injuries (not sports related). I am currently training for the 2017 Maui Marathon - in fact, today (5/1) starts Week 1 of six weeks base building, before I move into 16 weeks of Marathon-specific training. I've run a lot of races in the past, but this will be my first 26.2.

The biggest differences in training for a marathon is your weekly running volume and long runs will increase. However, it sounds like you have plenty of time to work up to the distance, so you have a lot of flexibility in your training schedule right now.

What is your current training pace? What was your last 10K finish time? Do you live somewhere where you have access to a lot of races in varying distance, or do you have to travel?

As far as eating habits, you will likely get hungrier and require more calories as your training level and fitness increases. Some people training for longer distances will sometimes gain weight, so use caution and be mindful about the food you are consuming, especially if your goal is to stay lean. This is not the time to be justifying hot fudge sundaes or whatever your "treat" is, because you just ran 18 miles or had a high mileage week.

Be consistent with your training. Choose a plan that works with your current fitness level and goals and stick with it. Your long runs are the most crucial part of your training - do not skip them.

Many training plans will incorporate races, such as 10ks and 13.1's leading up to your goal race. These are good performance indicators of your training along the way.

Invest in a good GPS watch with HR monitor strap. Training by time, distance and HR are simple ways to keep you on track and monitor your fitness levels.

Most of all, enjoy running!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon and I'm learning about hydrating and fueling for my long runs. Like you I didn't venture beyond 5 miles, though I was running 5-6 days a week.

I'm in week 7 of my training plan (found it on the Boston marathon website) and now that the weather is much warmer, my hydrating plan needs to be much different.

Start tracking the mileage on your shoes, you'll want to replace them every 350-500 miles. I seem to get around 400 miles out of mine before my hips and feet start hurting.

Don't underestimate good running socks.

There are a lot of experienced runners on this site - I've learned a lot from their posts! There's also a long distance running group that you might get insight from.
  • camoballerina91
    camoballerina91 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    What is your current training pace? What was your last 10K finish time? Do you live somewhere where you have access to a lot of races in varying distance, or do you have to travel?

The last 10k race I ran I came in just over 40 min. Most days I can get through a 5k in about 25 min. at a relaxed pace.

My small town holds a few races during the spring and summer but they're mainly 5 and 10k races. I'd have to travel some for anything longer but it'd only be about a 20 - 50 mile drive to the ones that I've found closest to me.
    Be consistent with your training. Choose a plan that works with your current fitness level and goals and stick with it. Your long runs are the most crucial part of your training - do not skip them.

I'll definitely remember this part.

I've printed off a few training plans so far and I'll probably end up printing off more and researching training apps before I find a plan that I like that will also allow me to still incorporate my strength/resistance training 1-2 times a week.
    Many training plans will incorporate races, such as 10ks and 13.1's leading up to your goal race. These are good performance indicators of your training along the way.

I'll plan for this, and try to find a few near me to sign up for.
    Invest in a good GPS watch with HR monitor strap. Training by time, distance and HR are simple ways to keep you on track and monitor your fitness levels.

I usually use my phone for GPS, cause I'm going to have it on me anyways so I can listen to my music, but I'll look to finding a watch/strap as well.

Thank you, your post reply very helpful. Good luck in training for your marathon.
  • camoballerina91
    edited May 2017
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Start tracking the mileage on your shoes, you'll want to replace them every 350-500 miles. I seem to get around 400 miles out of mine before my hips and feet start hurting.

Don't underestimate good running socks.

There are a lot of experienced runners on this site - I've learned a lot from their posts! There's also a long distance running group that you might get insight from.

Even though I don't run really long distances, I do run a lot, so I change my shoes pretty regularly and I have a brand of running socks I like that I regularly stock up on about every few months or so.

I'll have to look for that group on here.

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats in your decision. You have plenty of time to build up to your marathon. It will be helpful to run a half 1st because that will be significantly different than a 5K or 10K and the full will be an entirely new beast.

You'll definitely want to get a GPS watch. You don't have to get the most expensive watch on the market, but the Garmin 220, 230, or 235 would all work.

I didn't really change my eating habits too much, but as you get into longer runs, you'll want to practice fueling while running. Also, if you don't carry water already, you'll want to get a hydration belt or handheld for your longer runs. Most marathon training plans will get you up to a long 20 mile run. I live in Texas and now that summer is coming, I'll actually probably need to start using my Camelbak hydration backpack because it gets so hot. You'll also want to get a variety of gels, bloks or sport beans to try as your long runs increase.

During your long runs, slower is better. The more time on your feet, the better your legs will be prepared for the race. I never had that out of breath feel in my marathon, but my legs were soooo tired.

You will get very hungry (runger), so you have to watch what you're eating or you could put on weight. For me, it's the worst the day after my long run.

In the 3 days prior to the marathon, you'll want to carb load. This is supposed to help store glycogen in your muscles so you last throughout the race. You can google this as you get closer to the race, but you may want to practice before one of your long runs.

Expect black toenails, vaseline on toes for 16+ mile runs is great. Learn to foam roll if you haven't already, and yoga for runners will help in recovery.

Best wishes and happy training!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I've run three marathons and been a reader on Runners World and Running Ahead forums for several years, so I've learned a lot about training from people who run a lot more than I do.

For a first marathon, don't worry much about your time, just focus on finishing the race with a smile on your face. Hal Higdon's plans are very popular and get a lot of people to the starting line without injury. I did his Intermed. 2 for my first and third, the advanced for my second and met my goals for #1 and #3 including a BQ. (#2 was a disaster due to heat and overdoing it the day before the race.) My first marathon was a blast. I had spent so much time picturing race day and the reality exceeded my expectations. It was also really hard. But that was expected.

Spend the next several months building your base. Start with adding a day to your running, then another day, so you are running at least 5 days a week. Before starting your marathon specific training, you should be running at least 35 miles a week, more is better. It will be easier and safer if your long run is not more than 50% of your total miles, 40% is better. Since your training will last several months, it helps if you enjoy the training. I loved the fact that I was able to get into terrific shape but it took a lot of time and a lot of miles to get there. for a lot of people, finding the time to run all those miles is the hardest part of marathon training. It's not so bad when it's only for 12-18 weeks, but when you're planning a year in advance, that's a long time to keep your focus.

Look at long runs as rehearsals for your races. When they get to be more than 10 miles, start experimenting with some sort of fuel, whether Gel, shot blocks, fruit, jelly beans or whatever you choose. (During races, I eat something every 45 minutes or so.) Pay attention to the food you eat before and after your runs. See what works for you, and what sends you to the nearest bathroom. (Fiber and fat generally don't work. Sugar doesn't work for me, but a frequent marathoner I know starts race day with 2 donuts and Mountain dew. YMMV.) Try different clothes options and run as much as you can in different conditions, since you don't know whether it will be hot, cold, rainy or icy during your race. You want to find out what clothes work and which will chafe.

I gained a few pounds while training for my first two races, mostly because the two weeks before the race you cut back on training and then after the race training was also limited while I recovered, but I still ate as if I was running 50 mpw. For my last race, but logging what I ate, I was able to lose weight while training and didn't gain it back afterwards.

Do some racing this year so you can figure out training paces. Training for short races will help you develop speed and give you race day experience. During your marathon training you will probably do a HM about 5-6 weeks before the race so you can figure out the pace you want to run during the race. Keeping to that goal pace is really important. Too fast will lead to a bad blowup in the later miles. One of the things to work on as you build your base is control of your paces. Slow runs should be really easy, speedwork should be hard.

One thing to think about when choosing your marathon: do you want to be doing the bulk of your training in summer or winter? I do badly in summer heat and humidity, so all of my marathons have been in spring. I also have a treadmill and have ended up doing 20 mile runs on that machine when it wasn't safe to run outside. I can't imagine doing 3+ hour runs in August, but many people do. Other considerations are: do you want to do a local race, so you can sleep at home the night before, or do you want to make the race a destination race and take a few days vacation to do it? Both have pluses and minuses. Find out everything you can about the race before you do it. Try to train in similar conditions. If it's a hilly race, find some hills. If it's going to be hot (i.e. Disney races) then you need to train in heat.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I ramped up too quickly and developed flantar faciatis. You already know this, but replace your shoes early and often. I know, they're crazy expensive. Do it anyway.
  • camoballerina91
    Options
    Thanks ya'll this is all great information, very helpful . I'm actually a bit excited to get started.