3" Deficit Deadlifts

Options
maranarasauce93
maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
My new meet prep programming has me doing deficit deadlifts from a 3" surface. I recorded one of my sets today during which I was using a lever belt and I noticed my starting position was NOT pretty at all! I did all the steps I do to maintain positioning for normal conventional deadlifts. Soo I have 2 main questions regarding these deficit pulls. First do you want to start these differently than regular conventional pills? Ex: starting in more of a squat position. And second would it be optimal to stop using the lever belt for deficits as it prevents me from bringing myself as low as I may otherwise go?

For reference, here is my current starting position with the belt. These actually felt easy once I got close to lockout

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Some thoughts:

1) I personally would never recommend max effort deficit deadlifts for any reason,ever. Risk vs reward is awful.

2) Some people with poor leverages will not be able to deficit deadlift safely ever, nevermind from a 3" platform.

Having said that, you really don't look THAT bad. Your lower back is staying pretty neutral which is good, the rounding is more in the thoracic area and it's not even super pronounced. It's not optimal or great in any way but it's not completely horrendous.

I might try without a belt (DEFINITELY NO MAX EFFORT WORK) or from a slightly shorter deficit, like 1.5" or so. Maybe the width of a single iron plate?

Regardless, form should be as close as possible to your normal pulls from the floor if you can manage it. The idea is to basically make the starting movement harder to build strength from the ground. So you'd want your form to match as much as possible.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Nice though your back seems kinda round. Not a whole lot though. Btw I'm going to follow you on Instagram
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So what are you following that has you doing those? A coach or a general program from somewhere?
    I too am trying to think of the risk/reward factor. If these throw your form off so much, when you return to conventional you could be off, or if it is changing your form so much to do them, it;s just not worth it. Also it's probably not wise to make a jump straight to 3". Lastly I also agree with the above that if you are going to do these, I would not do them anywhere near ME.
  • maranarasauce93
    edited May 2017
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Some thoughts:

1) I personally would never recommend max effort deficit deadlifts for any reason,ever. Risk vs reward is awful.

2) Some people with poor leverages will not be able to deficit deadlift safely ever, nevermind from a 3" platform.

Having said that, you really don't look THAT bad. Your lower back is staying pretty neutral which is good, the rounding is more in the thoracic area and it's not even super pronounced. It's not optimal or great in any way but it's not completely horrendous.

I might try without a belt (DEFINITELY NO MAX EFFORT WORK) or from a slightly shorter deficit, like 1.5" or so. Maybe the width of a single iron plate?

Regardless, form should be as close as possible to your normal pulls from the floor if you can manage it. The idea is to basically make the starting movement harder to build strength from the ground. So you'd want your form to match as much as possible.

I'm following GZCL UHF 9week template. First few weeks include 3 inch deficits to start with and go from reps of 4 to doubles and then the deficit decreases to 2 inches; the goal is to eventually pull heavier off the floor. Fortunately for me, that was my last week of 3 inch deficit pulls. Hopefully these deficits don't create any harmful habits; I'll try being more cognizant of my positioning and also forgo wearing the belt. I didn't belt up for the doubles but last time I did beltless deficits I was told by a trainer those looked much better than the belted set and that I should look to invest in a softer belt for deficits. Meh
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    Also maybe I'm over analyzing because of a "friend" commenting that my back "hurt to look at"