Gain muscle, lose fat. Possible?

Abhi_131196
Abhi_131196 Posts: 1,574 Member
After 3 months of constant efforts... Losing hope to achieve the goal. Need motivation.

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    No, your goals are incompatible for most people and situations. You have to be in a calorie surplus to add muscle, which is why you failed.

The only exception I've read about is combining fast days (to lose weight) with eating at a surplus on your lift days. It sounds a bit too complicated IMHO.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    In the maintenance section you'll find some posts about "recomposition" that may be helpful.
  • Abhi_131196
    Theo166. Buddy i am in a calorie surplus for 5 days a week while in calorie deficit on my recovery days. Sounds complicated. Yeah right. But i am doing that. Period.
    Can anyone tell me how long will it take to achieve the same?
    Btw thanks a ton guys.
  • Flyeaglesfly8630
    Flyeaglesfly8630 Posts: 39 Member
    Eat a lot of protein around 180 grams a day. Keep your carbs complex oatmeal brown rice etc. Also try to avoid sugar as much as possible. Also drink plenty of water gallon a day at least. I would say should see results within 90 days. Also hit the weights hard and keep cardio to around 20-30 mins 2-3 days a week.
  • Abhi_131196
    Flyeaglesfly8630. Thanks mate. Should i also start using fat burners. How good/bad will that be?
  • Abhi_131196
    But the problem remains the same. That diet thing. I am underweight so i need to be in calorie surplus and i am skinny fat (according to videos and posts)so i need to be in calorie deficit. Its that confusing.If i am increasing my protein intake to 180 grams, my calorie intake increases and hell.... Its making me nuts.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Probably more protein than needed if at healthy weight.

Don't need deficit at healthy weight, even if skinny fat. especially no deficit if already underweight, just creates stress on body that will interfere with goals.

Just eat at maintenance, lifting should get even better, confirm you are doing workouts as hard as they should be - and just as importantly, giving rest for repair or recovery (or else you just wasted the workout).

Confirm you have a good progressive overload lifting program.
    None of this fad 1 day a week junk for 1 muscle group that many start out on. If you are 5-6 years into lifting than that advanced program is fine - but you aren't (it sounds like).
  • Abhi_131196
    This aint fad for sure. :p. Thanks for ur support. I will try and adjust my diet at maintainence calorie.
    My workout regime is like two days of strength training followed by one day of recovery day plus 2 times HIIT a week.
    Any recommendations.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    you need to do a progressive overload program - like strong lifts 5x5 or wendler
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    This aint fad for sure. :p. Thanks for ur support. I will try and adjust my diet at maintainence calorie.
    My workout regime is like two days of strength training followed by one day of recovery day plus 2 times HIIT a week.
    Any recommendations.

What I referenced has turned into a fad - people doing that routine for no reason other than someone else said to do it because they do it. None of them checking out the why or if a better routine.

And that's doing like chest day, bicep day, back day, ect.

Unless at experienced lifting level, that's not nearly enough volume to get really useful results.

So are you doing the HIIT because of training for some cardio event - like for running races, so you need more muscle for running fast?
    And does it follow or proceed a day using the same muscles you are also lifting with?

So 4 days of lifting weekly?
    Is that an upper/lower or push/pull type split routine?
    What kind of sets/reps for it?
  • Abhi_131196
    Monday - arm day(coz everyone else is doing chest) + HIIT(one minute sprint + one minute jog)
    Tuesday - chest and core
    Wednesday - recovery day
    Thursday - shoulder and back
    Friday - legs
    Saturday - HIIT (UPPER BODY)
    Sunday-recovery day

HIIT while fasting coz it helps to burn extra bit of fat(glycosen stores are depleted) only taking my BCAA at that time(insulin level is less, growth harmone level is high)

Sets - 3 ( aint able to do 4) coz i do time bound set, around 30-45 seconds more than NORMAL SET TIME.
    Helps to release more lactic acid which in turn helps to increase T- level.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    But the problem remains the same. That diet thing. I am underweight so i need to be in calorie surplus and i am skinny fat (according to videos and posts)so i need to be in calorie deficit. Its that confusing.If i am increasing my protein intake to 180 grams, my calorie intake increases and hell.... Its making me nuts.

you need to pick a goal..

1. small deficit + lifting to lose additional body fat (if needed)
    2. run a recomp and lift heavy
    3. run a few bulk/cut cycle to gain mass and then cut the fat off.

What you are trying to do essentially boils down to "spinning your wheels" and three months from now you are going to have little, if any, progress.

Also, get on a structured lifting program like all pro beginner, strong lifts, etc and run it for four to six months in conjunction with one of the three goals that I laid out.

the only people that are going to gain some muscle in a deficit are newbies that are new to lifting and even then, you newbie gains are going to peter out at some point and you will be back in the same boat as all of us...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Eat a lot of protein around 180 grams a day. Keep your carbs complex oatmeal brown rice etc. Also try to avoid sugar as much as possible. Also drink plenty of water gallon a day at least. I would say should see results within 90 days. Also hit the weights hard and keep cardio to around 20-30 mins 2-3 days a week.

complex carbs and limiting sugar have absolutely nothing to go with gaining muscle or losing body fat...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Monday - arm day(coz everyone else is doing chest) + HIIT(one minute sprint + one minute jog)
    Tuesday - chest and core
    Wednesday - recovery day
    Friday - legs
    Sunday-recovery day

HIIT while fasting coz it helps to burn extra bit of fat(glycosen stores are depleted) only taking my BCAA at that time(insulin level is less, growth harmone level is high)

Sets - 3 ( aint able to do 4) coz i do time bound set, around 30-45 seconds more than NORMAL SET TIME.

Get on a more basic structured plan. Reduce the number of lifts/exercises you're using, increase the number of days per week you're doing each lift

I'm not sure what "upper body HIIT" consists of but I'm pretty sure it's not a real thing

• moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    It's only been three months. Are you increasing the weight in each set? Are you "half assing" it and not really pushing yourself when you lift? Not trying to be mean, but if you're going to the gym and simply going through the motions you're not going to accomplish much.
    Theo166. Buddy i am in a calorie surplus for 5 days a week while in calorie deficit on my recovery days. Sounds complicated. Yeah right. But i am doing that. Period.
    Btw thanks a ton guys.

Everybody is different, so what works for one guy may not work for you, and what took another guy six months to achieve may take you a full year. What do you want to achieve? Do you want to look like a professional body builder? Do you just want to be lean and ripped? What is your goal? Sorry if you've already stated this and I missed the post.
  • Abhi_131196
    It's only been three months. Are you increasing the weight in each set? Are you "half assing" it and not really pushing yourself when you lift? Not trying to be mean, but if you're going to the gym and simply going through the motions you're not going to accomplish much.
    Btw thanks a ton guys.

Everybody is different, so what works for one guy may not work for you, and what took another guy six months to achieve may take you a full year. What do you want to achieve? Do you want to look like a professional body builder? Do you just want to be lean and ripped? What is your goal? Sorry if you've already stated this and I missed the post.

I am making small goals. I am underweight and skinny fat. So... Its like that.
    I am pushing myself hard in the gym and thats for sure. Going from point A to B is not my thing.
    Thanks buddy
  • Abhi_131196
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you need to pick a goal..

1. small deficit + lifting to lose additional body fat (if needed)
    2. run a recomp and lift heavy
    3. run a few bulk/cut cycle to gain mass and then cut the fat off.

What you are trying to do essentially boils down to "spinning your wheels" and three months from now you are going to have little, if any, progress.

Also, get on a structured lifting program like all pro beginner, strong lifts, etc and run it for four to six months in conjunction with one of the three goals that I laid out.

the only people that are going to gain some muscle in a deficit are newbies that are new to lifting and even then, you newbie gains are going to peter out at some point and you will be back in the same boat as all of us...

Ok brother. Six months it is. I will do it.
  • Abhi_131196
    heybales wrote: »
    Tuesday - chest and core
    Wednesday - recovery day
    Friday - legs
    Sunday-recovery day

That is exactly the fad routine I'm talking about - and you aren't a 5-6 year experienced lifter that it's appropriate for.

Even that reason for the HIIT is fad and not true. Your muscle glycogen stores are no where near depleted, unless you just did some cardio equal to almost a marathon - so like 3-4 hrs of perhaps swimming for upper body.
    And if depleted - you can't do the intensity of HIIT because if there are really no carbs to burn in the muscle - you will NOT be able to push yourself harder than the body can burn only fat as fuel for the effort.
    Also, if doing 1 min of truly max effort sprinting, I can guarantee that your probably 3rd interval, perhaps 4th, is no where near the same max effort with only 1 min jog. That is too long a sprint for too short a recovery. Not effective HIIT, that is SIT (Short Interval Training) - which can still be useful for a running goal, but not your stated goal.

No, you've read some bad info about HIIT, that's why it's becoming a fad, misapplied, and done wrong, and for wrong reasons.

Look at that plan layout too and just think about the facts around overload and recovery, and apply the principle to your workout.
    So on Monday you are working out biceps and triceps, if doing the workout correct, causing damage that requires repair, wiping them out.
    Then on Tue you are doing the chest - without using your triceps somehow? Because they should be wiped out, and since they are smaller and generally the limiter to giving your chest a good workout, you've just had a mediocre chest workout.
    And you've killed the recovery time, so you likely made the Mon workout a waste of time by not getting improvements from it.

Same thinking on the Thu / Fri routine - your back is usually used on most leg lifts.

You don't have nearly enough volume weekly to be making progress.
    And is this compound move lifting (where doing chest or back automatically works tri's and bi's) so you save time by hitting many muscles at once?

So while it is the rest for recovery and repair that actually causes the improvements, not working the muscle frequently enough also means they don't have enough stimulus to do it at their best possible rate.

Just some thoughts so as not be be spinning your wheels.
    heybales wrote: »
    Tuesday - chest and core
    Wednesday - recovery day
    Friday - legs
    Sunday-recovery day

That is exactly the fad routine I'm talking about - and you aren't a 5-6 year experienced lifter that it's appropriate for.

Even that reason for the HIIT is fad and not true. Your muscle glycogen stores are no where near depleted, unless you just did some cardio equal to almost a marathon - so like 3-4 hrs of perhaps swimming for upper body.
    And if depleted - you can't do the intensity of HIIT because if there are really no carbs to burn in the muscle - you will NOT be able to push yourself harder than the body can burn only fat as fuel for the effort.
    Also, if doing 1 min of truly max effort sprinting, I can guarantee that your probably 3rd interval, perhaps 4th, is no where near the same max effort with only 1 min jog. That is too long a sprint for too short a recovery. Not effective HIIT, that is SIT (Short Interval Training) - which can still be useful for a running goal, but not your stated goal.

No, you've read some bad info about HIIT, that's why it's becoming a fad, misapplied, and done wrong, and for wrong reasons.

Look at that plan layout too and just think about the facts around overload and recovery, and apply the principle to your workout.
    So on Monday you are working out biceps and triceps, if doing the workout correct, causing damage that requires repair, wiping them out.
    Then on Tue you are doing the chest - without using your triceps somehow? Because they should be wiped out, and since they are smaller and generally the limiter to giving your chest a good workout, you've just had a mediocre chest workout.
    And you've killed the recovery time, so you likely made the Mon workout a waste of time by not getting improvements from it.

Same thinking on the Thu / Fri routine - your back is usually used on most leg lifts.

You don't have nearly enough volume weekly to be making progress.
    And is this compound move lifting (where doing chest or back automatically works tri's and bi's) so you save time by hitting many muscles at once?

So while it is the rest for recovery and repair that actually causes the improvements, not working the muscle frequently enough also means they don't have enough stimulus to do it at their best possible rate.

Just some thoughts so as not be be spinning your wheels.

Thanks mate. That was blunt but true. I am open for suggestions.