Sodium in cabbage

Options
does anyone here eat raw cabbage I had some yesterday and it was a nice crunchy snack but I was very surprised when I tried to put it in diary to see that in 500 grams of cabbage it had 500 mg of sodium does any1 know if that's right?

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    If I go by the USDA database, 100g of raw cabbage has 18mg of sodium.

That makes me think that whatever entry you used is widely off. That 500g of cabbage should have at max 90mg of sodium.
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    aww phew thanks I was worried cause I wanted to take the rest to work today to snack on but didn't wanna up my sodium that much
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ~90 mg of sodium per 500 g, according to the usda database. Maybe it was an inaccurate mfp listing for cabbage?

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2888?manu=&fgcd=&ds=
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    yeah I just typed Tesco white cabbage into the search bar thought as it was a veg that any entry would be pretty close lol, didn't know about that database thought thanks I will bookmark that
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It can be a bit annoying, I found an entry for cilantro once with 10g of protein in it. I wish!

It's annoying to search the usda database every time so one thing I started doing was to type "usda" in with my mfp search. It helps me find more accurate entries for standard stuff like fruits and veggies.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Lol @ the protein in cilantro

What I started doing is adding foods I use often under 'my foods' and NOT sharing them with the general database. It took a bit of time at the start, but at least I'm then certain about the values, especially for some micro-nutrients I need to track.

If it's foods I don't use all that often (or just trying out to see how I like the taste), same as Hoshiko I simply add 'usda' when I'm looking for the entry.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was some sort of pickled cabbage and the person entering it left that bit out.