Water Retention

Options
Could Powerade zero be causing water retention? I have naturally low sodium and will easily and quickly become hyponatremic if I don't include a lot of salt and electrolytes. My electrolytes are somewhat low too. I'm afraid this is making me retain water but I don't want to eat too much salt since my blood pressure can also get high. Is there a sodium or electrolyte supplement that doesn't cause retention? I'm eating less than 1300 calories a day and walking 7500-10000 or more steps. My weight isn't budging.

Replies

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I would ask your doctor for advise as to now many mg of sodium you should be consuming given your condition.... I looked at the Nutrition Facts, a 12oz drink has 375ml sodium. If I go over 2500 or so in a day I start retaining. Do you track your total sodium for the day on MFP?

How long have you been trying to lose weight and what is your current stats height/weight/sex and your goals? You could also have hormonal retention as well as if you just recently increased your activity level.