Anyone cutting out carbs as much as possible?

Options

Replies

• setzerfan
    setzerfan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've tried in the past and my body was NOT happy. The fatigue, headaches and overall mental 'fuzziness' felt....downright dangerous. There were days I literally couldn't drive, I was that fuzzy and fatigued. That was just my experience though, I have friends who are keto and they do well with eating that way.

• stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't cut carbs. I just follow my daily guidelines (as I do for everything, not just carbs). I don't have any health restrictions and it has not hindered my weight loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    NO - elimination diets aren't for me. Don't get me wrong, I've done my share.....but I've always regained the weight I lost. Unfortunately this puts me in the overwhelming majority.

THIS time - I won't give up anything for weight loss that I don't intend to give up forever. Losing weight is just the first step.
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    There is no danger to someone eating low carb either, so if she wants to eat that way she'll be fine- even without a medical condition. She didn't ask if she should, she said she was and wanted to speak with others doing it also.

Not saying it's dangerous. Just letting her know that I haven't done it and I'm still losing weight. If she's still eating 25-35 a day with all the cutting of carbs she's already doing, she shouldn't get discouraged.
  • Sadiegirl1768
    Sadiegirl1768 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks lowcarb4me
  • Sadiegirl1768
    Options
    My dairy is open for anyone to see, there is days I don't get 1000 calories for a day so I will add ice cream on to get my calories up so I can close it.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My thought is eat in a way that works for you and if you're down calories on some days but higher on other days than it balances out. If you're not hungry, weak, or tired its okay to be under sometimes.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My dairy is open for anyone to see, there is days I don't get 1000 calories for a day so I will add ice cream on to get my calories up so I can close it.

Just my 2 cents but if you are not hungry, even if your cals are low, I wouldn't eat just for the sale of getting cals up. I would focusing on hitting your protein macro, getting in your key nutrients, electrolytes etc. and then listening to your body (within reason, listen to hunger not cravings). Also, if you want to get your cals up, I'd suggest avocado or some eggs or something with some nutritional value over ice cream -- unless the ice cream is something nutrient dense and low carb/sugar, I'm not sure if you are talking store bought ice cream or something you made, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Are you concerned about your calories and looking for advice? I peeked at your diary, and what I noticed is that you are low in fat for the type of diet you are doing. I think that's probably a common stumbling block -- people want to do very low carb/keto but don't feel totally comfortable with eating so much fat, because it's so different from what they've been trained to do. Eating enough and specifically enough fat (and protein, of course) is important if you want to find out if you are someone for whom the way of eating works (by which I mean feels sustainable and allows you to consistently eat within your calories).

The link to the group posted above is a good resource if you want advice from people who have been doing what you are for a while, and they could give you ideas for food or thoughts on your diary. (A number of them are T2D too, which I believe you mentioned.)
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    stelly76 wrote: »
    There is no danger to someone eating low carb either, so if she wants to eat that way she'll be fine- even without a medical condition. She didn't ask if she should, she said she was and wanted to speak with others doing it also.

Not saying it's dangerous. Just letting her know that I haven't done it and I'm still losing weight. If she's still eating 25-35 a day with all the cutting of carbs she's already doing, she shouldn't get discouraged.

My post was made more with the comments in mind about "unless you have a medical condition" that pop up a lot around this topic. I didn't see anything wrong with your post. I just can never understand this need to give people the disclaimer that isn't necessary. Maybe it isn't, but its still a valid, healthy way of eating.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    If you are not getting your energy from carbs you have to get your energy from good fats - preferably from non gmo / antibiotic / growth hormone / etc. sources. Fat becomes your fuel if you are low carb. My faves if I am under include coconut oil, peanut butter, whole fat butter. Sometimes I'll take a swing of good olive oil. Protein is not really an energy source - you use it to build muscle mass not burn it.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't personally eat low carb but I did at one point... not something I could sustain for the length of time I needed to get the weight off; not to mention it was completely unnecessary. Best of luck with your goals!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Nope I like fruits and berries.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    If you are not getting your energy from carbs you have to get your energy from good fats - preferably from non gmo / antibiotic / growth hormone / etc. sources. Fat becomes your fuel if you are low carb. My faves if I am under include coconut oil, peanut butter, whole fat butter. Sometimes I'll take a swing of good olive oil. Protein is not really an energy source - you use it to build muscle mass not burn it.

While technically true - protein also helps to satiate hunger and curb cravings that lead people to make food choices they may not want to. Protein is a HUGE component of any diet, hence when it's a MACROnutrient and not a micro. But unlike other macro nutrients the body doesn't really 'store' protein like it does fat and carbs so when your body runs out you need to put more in, although you don't need to just eat protein protein protein - your body can only absorb so much of it but it's still really important to have in a diet.

• Sadiegirl1768
    Options
    So I don't eat the ice cream, just put it on the app to get my calories up
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options

I don't understand... what is the point of logging something you don't eat?

• Sadiegirl1768
    Options
    You have to have 1000 calories to close your dairy
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I don't understand... what is the point of logging something you don't eat?

She wants to finish out her daily diary without getting the system notice that she is under eating. Games........