Am i doing to much???

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I disagree about the break. I'm not sure what good that will do (aside from mentally), and it's a slippery slope into weight gain.

I would tighten up logging and use a food scale.

You could add some weight training to your routine.

And recheck your calorie goal since you've lost weight.

Yah breaks don't make sense to me...I went 18 months to lose about 65lbs and no breaks taken save vacation time where I couldn't log....but that was a week and I was at my then goal.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    tibbg83 wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating?
    Do you weigh all your food?
    Have you had a diet break in the last 6 months?

Currently eating around 1520 cals . i do not weigh, i usually just by calories alone and eat the same foods because i know they worked in the past??? As far as a diet break, i really haven't taken one or atleast not long one ( maybe a day here and there) i am sorta afraid too. I afraid that if i take a break that i will give up
    Have you recalculated your calorie goal? And how are you determining your intake and exercise output?

Slowing your rate of loss is probably a good idea as you're close to your goal, so it may be a case of also changing expectations

I have not recalculated in a while? Maybe this is what the problem is? How often should you do this? I have been at 1520 since like last oct?

Yes, do this!

I recalculate every 2 or 3 months.

Also tighten up your logging and definitely use a scale. Be really meticulous about your calorie intake.

Only eat about half your exercise calories back.

And stick with it for the next 2 months. Then see where you are and decide whether or not you want to take a weekend break.

• CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I disagree about the break. I'm not sure what good that will do (aside from mentally), and it's a slippery slope into weight gain.

Yah breaks don't make sense to me...I went 18 months to lose about 65lbs and no breaks taken save vacation time where I couldn't log....but that was a week and I was at my then goal.

I don't suggest taking a binging break, that would be a bad idea and could put someone on a bad track. I just know for me taking a "number obsession" break really helped me. I still ate what I would while logging and was still "dieting" (I hate that word), and getting in my normal workouts.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Don't discount the mental side, but diet breaks (where you eat at maintenance) can be helpful for both the physical and mental part of weight loss.

I'll try to find the link to the good article on them. I took one in March and it really felt good at the time.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I know what you are going through. I have lost 76 and am fighting to lose a pound a month. It is totally the reduced calories it takes for your new body to maintain. For me I am on 1350 calories a day to lose .5 a week. I don't know how tall you are but I'm 5'5" tall and 156 pounds but I'm 60 years old. 1500 will be maintenance for me :-(
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I don't suggest taking a binging break, that would be a bad idea and could put someone on a bad track. I just know for me taking a "number obsession" break really helped me. I still ate what I would while logging and was still "dieting" (I hate that word), and getting in my normal workouts.

you took a logging break which is different then what we are talking about.

a break is eating at maintenance and not exercising as much...otherwise you aren't really taking a break...you are on a diet just not logging it....and lots don't do that anyway...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
    Do you weigh all your food?
    Have you had a diet break in the last 6 months?

Currently eating around 1520 cals . i do not weigh, i usually just by calories alone and eat the same foods because i know they worked in the past??? As far as a diet break, i really haven't taken one or atleast not long one ( maybe a day here and there) i am sorta afraid too. I afraid that if i take a break that i will give up

If you don't weigh your food, you don't know how many calories you are eating. I would highly recommend starting!

Also if you've lost a lot of weight and never taken a week off, I would recommend that as well.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I agree with others about taking a break. I was staying at the same weight, while a healthy weight, for a few months. I was obsessing about every bite and every calorie during this time and probably stressing myself out. I took a logging break but still ate what I would if I was logging and what do you know I dropped a couple lbs that week. I did this for a couple weeks and I am now back to logging.

I think i going to take a small break. I find myself stressing as either over cals or over pushing myself to work harder or more excercise

This is my suggestion, for what it's worth. Take a week or two to just take a deep breath, because it sounds a little like you're panicking :wink: Don't eat the whole barn and lay on the couch but just do what you've been doing without getting on the scale or stressing about if you are being good enough.

Meanwhile, make sure your stats are correct in MFP and switch your goal to 1 lb per week. Then hop on Amazon or head into Walmart and buy yourself a digital food scale. Commit to using it for one month. Then for that 4 weeks, log everything - every vegetable, beverage, condiment cooking oil. And weigh as much of it as is humanly possible - fruits, veggies, packaged food, nut butters - all of it. Log accurately and consistently for the whole month. This will give you an accurate picture of what and how much you are eating and I bet it will shine a light on what's going on.

Having said that, take a moment to pat yourself on the back for the weight you already lost, which is awesome, and for the fact that you are still losing weight (slow as it may feel) and are still putting in the effort (which not everyone manages to stick with). Good luck :drinker:
  • ad28517
    ad28517 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well currently i still have about 60 or so to go, but my current goal is 150 and i am 184.2 now. I started at 230 and i am proud of what i have accomplished so far but i feel as if i am working out every single day with less results as i was before. Idk if maybe working out 6 days a week is to much? I hear of friends doing 30 mins a day for 3 days a week and losing more than i do ( if that make sense)

I started at 196 and am now at 173. I work out 4 times a week for 40 minutes and consume around 1200 calories a day. Seems like we are close to the same size...how many calories are you consuming? Awesome on the water (I suck at that). Maybe try some whole body exercises (as opposed to a bike where you are sitting) or adding resistance, or increasing your speed. Sometimes the body just needs to have the routine shaken up a bit!
  • tibbg83
    tibbg83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ad28517 wrote: »
    Well currently i still have about 60 or so to go, but my current goal is 150 and i am 184.2 now. I started at 230 and i am proud of what i have accomplished so far but i feel as if i am working out every single day with less results as i was before. Idk if maybe working out 6 days a week is to much? I hear of friends doing 30 mins a day for 3 days a week and losing more than i do ( if that make sense)

I started at 196 and am now at 173. I work out 4 times a week for 40 minutes and consume around 1200 calories a day. Seems like we are close to the same size...how many calories are you consuming? Awesome on the water (I suck at that). Maybe try some whole body exercises (as opposed to a bike where you are sitting) or adding resistance, or increasing your speed. Sometimes the body just needs to have the routine shaken up a bit! [/e

I consuming 1520 . i just changed to 1430 now so i guess i will see how that goes and then continue to lower. Well now i have started the power walking with the bike and that is how i lost the 3 pounds this month. Do have any suggestions on whole body workouts
  • ad28517
    Options
    I personally like the elliptical machine at the gym; it has a variety of levels and programs based on how motivated I feel that day, and is low-impact (so not bouncy or rough on knees etc.). Plus it incorporates your arms so if your legs get tired, you can use your arms more, or vice versa. I love me a rowing machine as well (arms, legs, core, cardio all in one). I wouldn't try to do your whole workout on a rowing machine though (it's tiring). Maybe just swap out 10 minutes of your normal routine with one of these and see how you like it. Plus, since you will only have to do it for 10 minutes, you can push yourself just a little harder than if you knew you had to make it through 30 minutes of it!

Swimming is also great, but my gym doesn't have a pool. Dancing or other aerobics are a fun choice. There's good old standbys - jumping jacks, burpees, push ups, jumping rope - those can all be a bit tough depending on your fitness level.

Let me know how it goes. I have a feeling I am going to plateau soon, so I am adding the weighted vest this week (and now that I typed it, I guess I am committed).
  • ad28517
    Options
    Oh, if you enjoy the bike at the gym, maybe invest in a *real* bike (or maybe that is what you are already doing?). The weather is getting nice, and I have read that the act of balancing requires different muscles than sitting on a stationary bike. Plus, then you get wind resistance, hills, etc. (and a better view)!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    first of all congratulations on your success so far. You have done an excellent job and 3lbs a month is an excellent rate at this stage of your weight loss.

The disquieting aspect of your loss to date as you describe it is that you are not sounding as if this level of physical activity is something you're prepared to do long term.

While I personally do not think that your activity level is excessive as described, never-the-less what matters is what you're prepared to do for the rest of your life not what anyone else thinks.

If there's anything I figured out from using mfp is that your activity and eating levels have to be in an appropriate balance to achieve your goals.

as other people have said you exercise for health you eat for weight control. Of course extra activity can translate into an extra deficit or opportunity to eat more food.

Personally I would be less concerned about the three lbs a month most excellent rate of loss, and more concerned about balancing my future long-term eating and activity levels into sustainability.

you don't want a situation where you get to your goal weight and you decrease your activity and increase your calories at the same time.

Experiment with these options while you still have a deficit and decide which way you want to go for the future.