Eating back calories burnt on long hike.

Hey, so I've been sticking to (or trying to) eating 1250 calories per day and I've been seeing really good results.
This Saturday I'm planning a 10.5 mile hike around Kinder Scout in the Peak District. Using my own online calculations and MFP it says I'll burn around 2500-3500 calories from the hike. Should I eat around 3000 calories that day leaving me with calories still left over or should I still eat less, Maybe around 2000?
I'm not sure if MFP is exaggerating calories brunt as that seems a lot and don't want to waste a good day eating it all back.
Thanks.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If you think your online calculations are good, I would eat back at least a good portion of those. Since it's one day, you don't have to worry too much about undereating -- but I think your hike will be much more fun if you're eating at least some calories back.
  • paigereillymcguire
    paigereillymcguire Posts: 9 Member
    I suppose it just feels weird eating so much since eating a lot less. I understand it's a long day so will need to eat more than 1250 but I didn't know how much I should eat back. Will go with around 50% allowing me to eat 2500.
    (The joys of being addicted to meal planning haha)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I would plan to eat more than half. Unless you think the calorie estimate is way over what the burn really is. Maybe eat half and take the equivalent in food bars or something in case you find you need them while hiking. You want to be sure you have the fuel to do the hike.
  • new_arc87
    new_arc87 Posts: 38 Member
    Don't ignore your body. If you feel absolutely starved during or after the hike, it's probably a good idea to replenish with a bit more food.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited May 2017
    Hey, so I've been sticking to (or trying to) eating 1250 calories per day and I've been seeing really good results.
    This Saturday I'm planning a 10.5 mile hike around Kinder Scout in the Peak District. Using my own online calculations and MFP it says I'll burn around 2500-3500 calories from the hike. Should I eat around 3000 calories that day leaving me with calories still left over or should I still eat less, Maybe around 2000?
    I'm not sure if MFP is exaggerating calories brunt as that seems a lot and don't want to waste a good day eating it all back.
    Thanks.

10.5 miles? You'll burn around 1050 calories walking that, so I think 2500-3000 might be high. The calories burned estimates are often quite high, but I would certainly plan to eat more than usual that day.
  • paigereillymcguire
    Thanks.

10.5 miles? You'll burn around 1050 calories walking that, so I think 2500-3000 might be high. The calories burned estimates are often quite high, but I would certainly plan to eat more than usual that day.

Did OP share her weight? You'd need to know that in order to know how many calories she'd burn.

I'm 153 pounds and 5foot 3 so probably a bit higher than normal and kinder scout isnt just walking. It's the highest peak in the district at 636m elevation and I'll be carrying around 10lbs up and down (10.5 mile round)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    edited May 2017
    Thanks.

Did OP share her weight? You'd need to know that in order to know how many calories she'd burn.

I said "around". It's fairly well published that the average burn is close to 100 calories per mile, walking. Running is only a few calories more. And yes, if she is overweight, then it would be a bit higher. I've done a good amount of very strenuous hiking. It certainly burns more calories than walking. But I think that tripling the calories would be overestimating.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Thanks.

10.5 miles? You'll burn around 1050 calories walking that

Without knowing the person's weight, how heavy their pack is, how much elevation gain and loss are involved, and what the ground surface is like (pavement, smooth dirt, nasty rutted rocks and roots, talus?) it's impossible to say. Could easily be double that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Thanks.

I said "around". It's fairly well published that the average burn is close to 100 calories per mile, walking. Running is only a few calories more. And yes, if she is overweight, then it would be a bit higher.

Without knowing someone's weight (and the other details @SezxyStef mentioned), I'm still not sure how you even came up with an estimate. An "average" burn isn't that helpful in determining what an individual would burn. A calorie estimator would estimate that I would burn 400 calories on a 5 five run (at a ten minute mile). A 200-pound person would be estimated to burn 756 in that same time. Individual differences matter when it comes to things like this.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Like others have said, eating back only half of burned calories is a pretty good way to go, but I will add: If you're not hungry for them, don't eat them back. I find LISSC to have a bit of an appetite suppressant effect sometimes. 10 miles is a doozy of a hike, so maybe just a little snack in the very least :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Thanks.

I said "around". It's fairly well published that the average burn is close to 100 calories per mile, walking. Running is only a few calories more. And yes, if she is overweight, then it would be a bit higher. I've done a good amount of very strenuous hiking. It certainly burns more calories than walking. But I think that tripling the calories would be overestimating.

Running is roughly double the energy requirement of walking because running requires you to jump with every step, it's far more work than walking.
  • paigereillymcguire
    Thanks.

10.5 miles? You'll burn around 1050 calories walking that

Without knowing the person's weight, how heavy their pack is, how much elevation gain and loss are involved, and what the ground surface is like (pavement, smooth dirt, nasty rutted rocks and roots, talus?) it's impossible to say. Could easily be double that.

I'm 153 pounds and 5foot 3 so probably a bit higher than normal and kinder scout is the highest peak in the district at 636m elevation and I'll be carrying around 10lbs on rough terrain and hill grass? Lol no paths included really apart from trodden ground.
    I'll do what others say and just eat when my bidy needs it and see how I go.
  • WVWalkerFriend
    WVWalkerFriend Posts: 575 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    eat to fuel your hike then to ease any hunger you feel.

Log it and I wouldn't worry about eating too many I would be more worried about eating too little.

I second this. Eat before as normal and then let your body determine how many calories it needs after.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Thanks.

I said "around". It's fairly well published that the average burn is close to 100 calories per mile, walking. Running is only a few calories more. And yes, if she is overweight, then it would be a bit higher.

Without knowing someone's weight (and the other details @SezxyStef mentioned), I'm still not sure how you even came up with an estimate. An "average" burn isn't that helpful in determining what an individual would burn. A calorie estimator would estimate that I would burn 400 calories on a 5 five run (at a ten minute mile). A 200-pound person would be estimated to burn 756 in that same time. Individual differences matter when it comes to things like this.

100 calories per mile is a good RULE OF THUMB. Just an average. I was not implying that was an actual calorie burn. Perhaps my point is that knowing the ACTUAL CALORIE BURN to figure out what to eat, is really not that useful in the first place.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/biggest-weight-loss-myth-revealed

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/why-tracking-calories-from-exercise-may-sabotage-your-w-1702505447

• fitmom4lifemfp
    Like others have said, eating back only half of burned calories is a pretty good way to go, but I will add: If you're not hungry for them, don't eat them back. I find LISSC to have a bit of an appetite suppressant effect sometimes. 10 miles is a doozy of a hike, so maybe just a little snack in the very least :)

I agree 100%.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

I agree 100%.

hunger is not always a good indicator.

For example I can sometimes forget to eat breakfast in the morning on the weekends...and then when I remember I eat a normal lunch etc but I am missing those calories...then I exercise and it takes a good couple of days ot really recover from lack of nutrition and fuel for my workouts.

Sometimes you just have to eat because you know you need to...