Calories by the day or the week?

Options
Kaolru
Kaolru Posts: 30 Member
In your experience or opinion, is it more important to keep your calorie deficit consistent day by day, or do you have more of a weekly goal?

I'm just curious because I have times where I can't eat for a full day or two. This is medical and doesn't happen all the time, but it did this weekend. I'm down about 2000 calories for the week. Then yesterday I went over my limit for the day, though not by much.
Should I even out my week or just let it go and just focus on the day by day calories?

I only ask because I've seen people mention "saving up calories" for a weekend out, or a cheat day. I didn't realize it worked that way.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Whichever works best for you - do that. Banking calories throughout the week to use over the weekend is fine.
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I go day to day. If I happen to go over one day as a cheap day (which I do normally every Wednesday or Saturday) I don't fret about it.

The way I look at it is I try to make better choices and not over eat on a day to day basis but life happens and sometimes we have a hungry day or we're invited out for supper unexpectedly.

I find going by the week and planning a cheat day is OK too but again something unexpected can happen and then that cheat day or whatever is "ruined"
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I always go by the week for macros and calories. I bank a solid 1000 or more during the week for Friday/Saturday. I've always lost consistently this way. The fact that yours is accidental/medically required shouldn't matter.

I am just as worried about eating too little as too much. I don't want to lose weight too fast or get sick.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Weekly works great for me and sounds mandatory in your situation
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Energy balance happens on a continuum.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Either way works, but you just have to find the one that is easiest for you to implement and follow. I, personally, prefer going weekly and I'm down 130lbs.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    By the week works better for me and it sounds like it might for you too.
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Idk I never reach my goal
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've always had a problem with the binge/restrict thing, so I personally don't like to bank calories--there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, I think its just more of a preference than anything.

However, high intensity cardio days surprisingly don't leave me with much of an appetite so I don't usually hit my goal that day (never mind eating back exercise calories)...but then I'm starving the next, so I might go over lol. As long as it balances out at the end of the week, it works.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I bank and run to weekly calories.

It allows me a life at weekends.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I like a weekly goal. It allows me to be more flexible on days where I may be a little more hungry than others. It also allows me to have more calories on the weekends (which is totally necessary for me.)