Gluten Free For Health

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    People take advice from all kinds of people that don't have a medical background. (HELLO, this forum?!?!?) Also, people eliminate foods because of the way the food makes them feel, all the time. If it works, then fine. Being rude and condescending to people because they choose this is unnecessary. No different than going vegan, keto, or whatever.

Veganism is not an elimination diet. I mean, yeah, vegans do wind up not eating certain things . . . but it is due to an ethical position, not a response to the way those foods make them feel physically.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    People take advice from all kinds of people that don't have a medical background. (HELLO, this forum?!?!?) Also, people eliminate foods because of the way the food makes them feel, all the time. If it works, then fine. Being rude and condescending to people because they choose this is unnecessary. No different than going vegan, keto, or whatever.

there was nothing rude or condescending in my response.

yes, for basic questions like "why am I not losing weight, or what should my macros be, etc" those can generally be answered by the community ...but other issues like "my shoulder hurts should I do X, or I think I have a food allergy" should be addressed to the relevant medical professional.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

I didn't see anyone being rude. Asking questions that make you think is not rude.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for years now. I have a wheat germ allergy and hashimotos thyroid disease.

I eat a lot of lean meat, eggs, veggies, fruit, rice, and dairy.

A lot of people with hashimotos end up going gluten and dairy free but thankfully dairy hasn't caused any issues for me.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Isa_Bbott wrote: »
    Tip: See a doctor. Ask the doctor to determine if or not you have celiac disease. If you have celiac disease, avoid gluten. If not, quit pretending to diagnose yourself.

I'd like to state that I'm not presuming that I have celiac's. I know for certain that I do not, but the family member I was talking to mentioned that her whole family switched to a gluten free diet after her diagnosis and they all felt better.

I'm not trying to get into a discussion about the benefits and need to see a doctor when considering a change of diet, this is something that I decided to try on my own for my health in general. I was reaching out for tips and support of others who have switched to a gluten free lifestyle, hoping for actual food substitution ideas, personal experiences, etc.

Negativity is not helpful, nor are assumptions that you have the whole story. I hope my clarifications have made it easier to form an opinion that may be of actual use.

Autoimmune diseases run in families but don't always present in the same way.....some might have vittiligo, some hashimotos, some RA, some lupus some juvenile diabetes, some celiac, etc. I have many of these in my family, especially hashimotos. If you have many autoimmune diseases in your family then you are at increased risk of having an autoimmune disease activated in your body. Many autoimmune diseases exist in the body for years before the damage is enough to receive official diagnosis. I had a "sluggish" thyroid for 10 years before meeting the official diagnosis for hashimotos.

Soooooo, knowing that autoimmune diseases run in families, knowing that they can be active for years before diagnosis and knowing that many respond well to GF diet why wouldn't you want to give it a shot?
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Just because you have been feeling yucky and lethargic doesn't mean you have celiac disease. If you're eating too much of anything you might be feeling this way, it could be the weather, you could be having just a hard time right now - there's a lot of reasons to be feeling this way and the answer isn't necessarily gluten free.

My first tip would be to see a doctor and actually go through the appropriate channels for being tested for whatever is causing your "off" feelings.

But second, have you really read up on a GF diet? GF foods have, obviously, had the gluten removed from them (foods that are naturally GF, aside) but they have to have something added back in so they can be consumed by people without people being grossed out by the taste/texture. GF foods are very often higher in caloric values, grams of sugar and grams of carbs. Just because they don't have gluten, doesn't mean they are automatically healthier for you.

People with celiac disease need to eat this way, but if you choose to you will have to be incredibly mindful of your intake since these foods often come with higher calorie counts and that can make it much more difficult to lose weight, or continuing eating at a deficit every day while still feeling like the quantity of food you've consumed is sufficient for your body.

Just some food for thought . . .
  • mickiylou21
    mickiylou21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've found real food is the best way to go to avoid gluten. Lots of lean meats, fish, veggies (fresh or frozen), sweet potatoes, quinoa, and brown rice. I try to stay away from most pre-packaged gluten free foods because of all the added chemicals but do indulge once and a while. I have a bowl I make with quinoa, broccoli, roasted sweet potato, carrots, chick peas or chicken, and coconut aminos that I really love.
  • DiannaOnMaui
    DiannaOnMaui Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Veganism is not an elimination diet. I mean, yeah, vegans do wind up not eating certain things . . . but it is due to an ethical position, not a response to the way those foods make them feel physically.

Actually, I chose veganism for health reasons, specifically, and I feel much better physically. The mindfulness of the welfare of animals for food came later, with research and education. People choose veganism for a wide variety of reasons including, but not exclusively for, ethical reasons.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Tip: See a doctor. Ask the doctor to determine if or not you have celiac disease. If you have celiac disease, avoid gluten. If not, quit pretending to diagnose yourself.

I went wheat free on my own and felt sooooooo much better....stuck to it for over two years...then let small amounts creep back in and convinced myself that it didn't matter because I was not celiac and I could eat it and I was just someone who thought I felt better without wheat and was just fooling myself...even though the more I ate the worse I felt.... Fast forward to the present and I am still not celiac but have now been ordered be completely gluten free by my endocrinologist due to Hashimotos....well now that I have a Johns Hopkins graduate telling me to avoid the stuff I guess I now have a valid reason on your book.......Guess listening to my body and avoiding wheat was the right thing to do after all...just wish I had continued to listen to my body instead of internet warriors who wanted to insist I was jumping on a fad

Thank you! It took me years of blood work to be properly diagnosed.