Why am I gaining weight?

noorandjenna1
noorandjenna1 Posts: 41 Member
edited May 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I've gained 10 lbs in a few months by following my fitness pal's calorie goal of 1700 calories. I allowed myself "wiggle room" for inaccurate measuring and logging by 300 calories.
I measure everything I eat.
I even log things like lemon and herbs
But I've gone from 106 lbs to 116 lbs.
I am healthy and I have no health concerns
I eat whenever I'm hungry and manage to stay within my goal range.
Or I give in to cravings but make room for them by cancelling something else out

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You're eating too many calories...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    1) your calorie goal is just an estimate...it's not gospel
    2) you're also likely eating more than you think you are
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    How are you measuring?

If using a good scale for solids and cups for liquid, you are being accurate and you don't need to add in 300 calories.

If you are measuring, why would you add 300 calories in that you aren't eating. That's not accurate.
  • noorandjenna1
    edited May 2017
    I'm not adding but I just eat 300 calories below my goal. On days that I'm feeling hungry often, I eat at my goal
    I didn't want to risk weight gain and I always felt doubtful of my calorie goal, that's why
  • TavistockToad
    I'm not adding but I just eat 300 calories below my goal. On days that I'm feeling hungry often, I eat at my goal

How old are you, how long has it taken you to gain 10lbs?
  • noorandjenna1
    edited May 2017
    I'm 18, it has taken 2 and a half months
    I aimed for 1400 calories
    I don't understand why I would gain at a calorie goal that most people lose weight at.
    I exercise two times a week.
    Mostly stationary bicycling and walking

Even as desserts and junk food I try to eat lower calorie things like pop chips, halo top, Lily's sugar free chocolates with 25% less calories

I used my fitness pal to lose 30 lbs in a year and it worked, but at maintenance I've gained
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    I'm sure some of that weight is glycogen replenishing itself from the deficit you were in, but some of it is obviously fat gain. If you are 100% sure of your calorie intake (and only you can be) then drop your calories by 100 wait a month and see if anything changes. You say your age and weight, but not your height, activity level and how much of those exercise calories you are eating back. Do you have "cheat days" that blow through your maintenance calories for the week?
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Remember that MFP's numbers are an estimate on the average. You might need fewer calories to maintain than the number it gives you.

And your wiggle room of 300 calories could be more than you think you're allowing yourself if you're not being consistent or if you're opting to go with cups vs weighing it out.

And a wiggle room of 300 calories means you're allowing yourself to potentially eat at a surplus (which it seems you are doing more often than not if it's been a few months and you've gained 10lbs).
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 220 Member
    Are you using a food scale?
  • diezel67
    diezel67 Posts: 97 Member
    106 to 116? hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe your pregnant ha!
  • TavistockToad
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Crazy idea - are you still growing? Not every one is fully developed by 18.

This is a good point actually. Women actually "stop growing" around age 25, so it could be this. Hips could be widening, breast size could be increasing, etc. You could still be getting taller.

I'd go with this, given her age and stats.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Are you using a food scale? I don't think this has been answered. OP is eating 300 BELOW maintenance target some days at 1700. So in fact she should be losing not gaining.

Are you using a food scale?

How tall are you?