Always a hungry hippo

Options
Hi, I have battled weight fluctuations my whole life & even though I've exercised on the daily, I've always been on the heavier end of the scales.
As a child I was a fatty-boomba & was always complaining about being hungry.
As an adult I have taken a job in the fitness industry as group fitness & gym instructor.
My job keeps me fit & controls my weight. At least I know I'm hungry now because I'm burning lots of energy.
My 10 year old little miss is struggling with her her own weight issues & is ALWAYS complaing of being hungry. She would prefer to eat crap but seems satisfied enough with the fruit, yoghurt, or veggie sticks that offer.
The children's father & my other little miss eat the same food but less. They recognise when they are full, feel less hungry & even forget to eat. They are both very lean.
The question is could my heavy little miss & I be genetically prone to feel hungry?
What's the go?
Anyone else hungrier than a Hippo? Lol

Replies

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have no idea medically about the answer to your question.

I can tell you for me personally I tend to eat when I don't have goals and focus. Lose the tv and electronics a little and go play outside. Even ball in the house. Don't reward with garbage food. Cook together. Get excited about shopping together. Read labels together.

Love her, love her, love her and lead by example. I say this as a big mom...who is learning and seeing changes in my family all stemming from me :)
  • jewels03
    jewels03 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this too. I was an obese child, my brothers were not, but they were active in sports. I've struggled my whole life with weight (almost down to a healthy weight range now).

My kids are still quite young, but I've noticed my daughter will eat, eat, eat, while my son rarely finishes his snacks. I struggle with how to manage our lifestyles so that my daughter doesn't end up obese like I was.
  • MadriverDell
    MadriverDell Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Genes play a role in appetite. See here: genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask201

Epigenetics also play a role. For example, babies born during the Biafra famine have higher rates of obesity, heart disease and diabetes in adulthood than babies born during a time of adequate food supply. Similarly, babies who suffered intrauterine growth restriction are more likely to be obese in adulthood. They're hungrier when they're born and are more likely to stay hungrier throughout life.

If a person is genetically primed to be hungrier, weight management will require focus and attention. It's not something that will likely happen naturally.

We're all dealt a hand in life. Sometimes this particular card is in your hand. I know it's in mine.