Always hungry on 2,000 calories and not losing weight :( Please help!

Options
Hi everyone,
So i started my weight loss journey 3 weeks ago and I have not lost any weight or inches. In fact i even gained about a pound. I have never eaten so clean and healthy as I am now. M goal is to lose about 1 pound a week so that i can keep if off for life. But eating 2000 calories as the app suggests leaves me absolutely ravished. I always think about food and am always hungry. I feel so defeated and have no idea what to do anymore. I have tried eating a lot of protein and fiber but it does not seem to work for me. I eat so much fruits, vegetables and whole grains but after an hour i feel as if i have not eaten at all. So every single day i end up going over my calorie limit by about 1000 calories in order to feel satiated. I have cut out junk food and refined carbs from my life completely and drink nothing but water.

Before starting this diet my usual diet consisted of nothing but junk foods. I actually calculated how many calories i would regularly eat of junk food and the total came to be about 2,000 a day. I was never hungry and was always satisfied and full. But with this healthy diet eating the same amount of calories leaves me hungry and even sometimes dizzy from the hunger. Not only that but I am not even losing any weight!!!! I dont want to calorie restrict anymore as I have done in the past. I want to eat healthy and feel satisfied.

This is what a regular day of eating is like for me:

Breakfast:
Oatmeal with milk and greek yogurt
banana
brazil nuts
water

Snack:
fruit smoothie with milk (berries, peach, banana, mango)

Lunch:
zucchini noodles mixed with whole grain spaghetti
baked lean chicken breast
salad
water

Snack:
some type of fruit or nuts

Dinner:
potatoes with salad or some type of stir fry with rice
water

Snack: some type of fruit

I am always over my total fiber intake and sometimes my protein intake. So i dont understand why i am hungry and not losing weight!! Why did junk foods satisfy me but my current meal plan does not?

I also do intense physical activity 3 times a week. So does anyone have similar problems to me? Should i just be more patient?

Replies

• Arox312
    Arox312 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try working out more. 3 times a week sometimes just isn't enough. For weight loss you gotta reach for 5 times a week workout. And also try not to go over your 2,000 limit. If you work out every day, have a protein with some veggies or fruit after it
  • aireseneca
    aireseneca Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm doing LCHF, low carb high fat, and personally find fat to be very satiating. I get that you are trying to lose weight without having to battle against constant hunger and cravings. Try browsing the keto community....see if it helps. Also try dropping grains, research "Wheat Belly" and other sources. Everybody has to find their own path. Best wishes!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    If I am in a calorie deficit I don't eat a lot of fruit. I also find that fruit does not fill me up. I usually up my veggies intake a little.

I don't cut out fun food - I just eat less of it or find some lower calorie alternatives: popcorn, pirates booty, pretzels, edy's slow churned caramel delight, yasso bars

I also try to find ways to trim some calories off of the foods I normally eat: 100 calorie sandwich flats, mustard instead of mayo, low fat cheese, alternative sauces - hot sauce and salsa are low in calories

All this little changes add up and don't seem that painful to me. You are probably going to need to experiment with what is satisfying to you.
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree with all above. For the non-food aspect (weight loss is multi-faceted), you may be facing a less familiar 'catch up' from your body, meaning - you may need to take into account not only the food but time as your body catches up to what you are doing. I am like this - I *never* experience the immediate weight loss, big push that others do, my body seems to take some time to catch up to the new habits. Throw in some good, old fashioned getting better at the weighing/measuring, becoming more accurate as time goes on, becoming more aware, etc., and you may have a complete picture of why it is taking longer. Pay attention to the breakdown of the nutrients each day - eat fewer carbs at first (??? - just a suggestion, they can make you feel hungrier) and ease back into them with more fibrous carbs (long cooking oatmeal as opposed to instant, for example).

Less popular - embrace that it is tough to endure and become accustomed to, it takes time, and if you continue being aware and working to change habits, you will be successful at the same time that it becomes a little easier. Anything you do consistently over the long haul is where you will see results. It's tough - but if you made it to here and reached out for advice, you are on a good track.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    You could also try upping your fat intake. That can make a big difference.

For me, I also need carbs to feel full, not just fibrous carbs.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    protein & fat keep me from being hungry. for dinner today I had 8 oz of extra lean ground turkey patty, 3 cups of the steamers veggies in cheese sauce, eggo low fat waffle with 1 TBS peanut butter & 1/2 TBL jam, large glass of iced tea (no sugar) & I was full. for lunch I had similar but with a baked potato. you can eat a big meal thats fairly low cal. experiment to find what fills you up
  • Sagittarius1995
    Sagittarius1995 Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Wow! i didnt expect that many answers in such a short period of time. Thank you for all the suggestions :) I do measure all my food and log everything that i eat. I have done this for all my past diets as well. I just dont want to battle with the constant hunger. I just feel that if i am constantly hungry and i try to simply ignore it by limiting my calories more then i am not listening to my body. My past diets i strictly ate 1500 calories and exercised even more and would always lose the weight fairly quickly (8-10 pounds a month). However, i was always irritable, moody, and developed an obsession with everything that i ate to the point of it not being healthy. After a few months i would always gain the weight back. I just dont want to repeat this cycle again. I will experiment more to see what works for me and try to increase my fat intake as a lot of you suggested :)

Also as a final note, i dont want to just eat 2000 calories worth of junk food. I want to not only lose weight, but become healthy a swell. I want to nourish my body.
  • Bunch_of_nuts
    Bunch_of_nuts Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    aireseneca wrote: »
    I'm doing LCHF, low carb high fat, and personally find fat to be very satiating. I get that you are trying to lose weight without having to battle against constant hunger and cravings. Try browsing the keto community....see if it helps. Also try dropping grains, research "Wheat Belly" and other sources. Everybody has to find their own path. Best wishes!

Keto for life!