Your Resting Heart Rate

Options
ferd_ttp5
ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
Last week I'd buy a fitness tracker named Xiaomi Mi Band 2 and so far it is good and useful. I try tracking my resting heart rate before I woke up and before going to sleep. I'm 18 years of age and my RHR is averaging at 50-52 while i'm in rest is it normal for my age? I could average 152 in exercising.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    That indicates that your cardiovascular health is quite good. Enjoy your youth.
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    Yes :smile: last 6 years ago, I got a heart surgery because of polmunary problems and now i'm ok improving more my cardio health. I do cycling 80-100 minutes per day :smile:

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    Yes :smile: last 6 years ago, I got a heart surgery because of polmunary problems and now i'm ok improving more my cardio health. I do cycling 80-100 minutes per day :smile:

I figured you were doing a lot of cardio. I also do a lot of cardio after half a life of slovenly obesity and one year of that 'lot of cardio' my resting heart rate is 45. The only accurate heart rate monitor I have on a cardio machine is the Polar chest strap integrated with my treadmill. My last time using it was 15 degrees inclined for 45 minutes at 3.0 mph. I recall seeing my heart rate get up to 170 after 15 minutes, then I 'rested' by holding the bar for 5 minutes and continued. After another 20 minutes my heart rate had again returned to 170. For my age, 170 is like 95+ % max.
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »

I figured you were doing a lot of cardio. I also do a lot of cardio after half a life of slovenly obesity and one year of that 'lot of cardio' my resting heart rate is 45. The only accurate heart rate monitor I have on a cardio machine is the Polar chest strap integrated with my treadmill. My last time using it was 15 degrees inclined for 45 minutes at 3.0 mph. I recall seeing my heart rate get up to 170 after 15 minutes, then I 'rested' by holding the bar for 5 minutes and continued. After another 20 minutes my heart rate had again returned to 170. For my age, 170 is like 95+ % max.
    Awesome, Yes I was doing lot of cardio 6-7x a week.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    My RHR is currently around 60 down from a RHR of around 110 3 years ago
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    My RHR is currently around 60 down from a RHR of around 110 3 years ago
    Sounds good. Sometimes if I'm at rest for more than an hour I could go down at 45-46. Keep it up improving your cardio health we can survive the zombie apocalypse easily :lol:
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It's pretty good, it means you're fit, Idk but maybe "45-46" would be your actual RHR.

I've doing cardio for 4-5 years my RHR used to be 70+, now is about the same 44-46.
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    It's pretty good, it means you're fit, Idk but maybe "45-46" would be your actual RHR.

I've doing cardio for 4-5 years my RHR used to be 70+, now is about the same 44-46.
    Yes, if I rest for more than 1 hour I could average 45-49 :smile:

• ferd_ttp5
    Options
    @PinkamenaD8 sorry I don't know how to send picture here at our conversation
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options

@PinkamenaD8 this is my records at the moment :smile:

mt9cyixc7glz.pngwdcf0gawwgxs.png

• RKS1308
    RKS1308 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes that RHR is pretty good. Did a health assessment earlier in the year, as I'm 50 this year. The assessment said my RHR was 49. 50-55 is the RHR of an athlete and 55-75 is average I believe. Not doing that much exercise (I just walk briskly for at least 50 mins 4 times a week). I asked Dr if I have an issue and he just said no I don't and that some people can just have a low heart rate.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    RKS1308 wrote: »
    Yes that RHR is pretty good. Did a health assessment earlier in the year, as I'm 50 this year. The assessment said my RHR was 49. 50-55 is the RHR of an athlete and 55-75 is average I believe. Not doing that much exercise (I just walk briskly for at least 50 mins 4 times a week). I asked Dr if I have an issue and he just said no I don't and that some people can just have a low heart rate.

Distance runners tend to have RHRs in the 40s. Mine is somewhere in the low to mid-40s; when I'm truly resting, it's hard to feel my pulse. It can be below 50 just from sitting quietly a while. And pretty much every serious distance runner I've talked to has a similar RHR. I am 61 years old, but age seems to impact max HR and training HR more than RHR.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    RKS1308 wrote: »

Distance runners tend to have RHRs in the 40s. Mine is somewhere in the low to mid-40s; when I'm truly resting, it's hard to feel my pulse. It can be below 50 just from sitting quietly a while. And pretty much every serious distance runner I've talked to has a similar RHR. I am 61 years old, but age seems to impact max HR and training HR more than RHR.

Mine's in that range, though I wouldn't call myself a serious distance runner. I've done half marathon+ distances, got my weekly mileage in the low 30's but I don't compete and don't intend to. I do intend to train for marathon distances, though.

My actual HRmax is also much higher than predicted from the usual calculations, but that is not reflective of CV fitness anyway. Just a useful number if I want to use it instead of perceived effort to hit certain training zones.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    My Garmin puts it at 50 to 55 bpm every morning, obviously it changes day by day.

Yesterday, I did a run, then stopped for a couple minutes afterwards to see what my HR would fall to. Standing there two minutes after running 1.5 miles, my HR dropped to 56 bpm.

I doubt my watch is measuring my RHR accurately. I'm not sure I'd trust any watch to.