Called a "stick" today after 4 months of lifting

Options
Family member who sees me lifting almost everyday called me a stick today. I was curling 15lbs and couldn't finish 3 sets of 8 4 months ago now I'm curling 42.5s 4 sets of 10. Pissed but now just more fuel in the tank. Thanks!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    One can get stronger without getting bigger. Especially if you're young. How many calories are you eating a day?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • brian91920
    brian91920 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 3-4000 a day prob. Thing is I HAVE put on size my before after is day in night in terms of how big I am. I think it was to get on under my skin. Now I just want to get bigger. Enough with the home gym. I take muscle milk and musclepharm crunch bars throughout the day. Need new supplements to add to the routines as I'm plateauing
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    brian91920 wrote: »
    I'm eating 3-4000 a day prob. Thing is I HAVE put on size my before after is day in night in terms of how big I am. I think it was to get on under my skin. Now I just want to get bigger. Enough with the home gym. I take muscle milk and musclepharm crunch bars throughout the day. Need new supplements to add to the routines as I'm plateauing
    Maybe? How do you know have you actually tracked it?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• brian91920
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    Sometimes people who are jealous tend to say stuff like that. Keep on grinding.
    I think that's what's up. Another supportive family member tells me to "shut up I don't care" and "good for you" when I accomplish anything. Poison!!
  • brian91920
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah I have before I usually go way over in fact I've gained 16lbs in the last few months bf percentage now around 20% if anything I'd want to cut now but many say bulk for 6 months to a year before you cut as you'll see a huge difference due to less muscle loss which would result from shorter bulking periods
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just that you can see your toes without straining.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Don't bulk at 20% would be my advise. It'll make cutting harder and longer
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah I have before I usually go way over in fact I've gained 16lbs in the last few months bf percentage now around 20% if anything I'd want to cut now but many say bulk for 6 months to a year before you cut as you'll see a huge difference due to less muscle loss which would result from shorter bulking periods

20% bodyfat but being called a 'stick' doesn't really ring true...
  • brian91920
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah it made zero sense. Must be body type or just trying to bring me down. I'm 179/179 6'1 and 20%
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    People tend to say things like that when they feel threatened in some way. This person probably subconsciously feels bad for not bettering themselves when you're working so hard and they could be jealous of your dedication. As a rule, when people say hurtful things, it's a reflection of them not you.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah it made zero sense. Must be body type or just trying to bring me down. I'm 179/179 6'1 and 20%

I would ignore the comment or use it as further motivation to train harder and progress. 179lbs @ 20% gives you around 143lbs of LBM which at 6'1 is not a vast amount. I personally would drop calories into a small deficit and keep lifting. You should get leaner and could potentially build some muscle as you are relatively new to lifting.
  • brian91920
    Options
    @getupforchange you rock
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I know them feels. I'm currently 170 at 5'10", and have gotten more skinny comments than I can count. Given that they're usually coming from people who are C2/3 obese though, I can't help but giggle a bit.

I'm getting to the point though, where I'll just start responding by challenging them to a mock meet. I would imagine that said "skinny guy" out lifting their...robust *kitten* in every lift imaginable would do more to shut them up, than my aforementioned giggles. Would give me an excuse to test 1RMs anyway. ;)
  • danielleedwards83
    danielleedwards83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My first ever comment on here but I couldn't not say anything. Ignore that comment. Even the 'closest' people to you can sometimes be negative and bitchy. Sometimes people dont ecen realise they are doing it but it defo reflects more on them than on you. Keep up the hard work!!!!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    People calling me a stick and a twig were reasons why I started lifting. Flexed, I finally have good visible biceps and some tricep action. Unflexed, I have a little more size but still pretty small. I guess thats an extra challenging for female lifters like myself.

Keep crushing it!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, sounds like jealousy from someone threatened by your success. Ignore the comment and keep progressing like you have- and good luck!
  • djmjs
    djmjs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ignore it, and keep it pushing.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My husband was called "skinny" at the gym. He is 6'3 210. He is not skinny...but the guys calling him skinny were HUGE (and fat). It's relative. He was still annoyed though.