I'm new and need a new knee!

KrissyD70
KrissyD70 Posts: 92
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
Due to an injury I am having a total knee replacement in September. I am losing weight so my new knee will last longer. It is amazing that it took this to motivate me to really work to lose weight. I need to lose 65 lbs but would like to lose 20-25 lbs by September. Myfitnesspal is so helpful! I've never been able to keep track of calories before.
Thank you Myfitnesspal and thank you to those that post your amazing weight loss stories. They are so motivating!

Replies

• htebaram
    htebaram Posts: 120 Member
    :flowerforyou: Good luck to you...but don't beat yourself up if you don't get all the weight off before your surgery. It all takes time, but even just a few pounds off before surgery will be of helpl Welcome to MFP!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Welcome! This place, with your fellow life-style changers, loves newcomers.
    I hope we can help answer questions, provide motivation, etc.

The first week of weight loss, you normally lose multiple pounds. But as the weeks go by, 1 to 2 lbs lost per week is the norm.
    Do not be upset if you do not reach your initial goal (20-25 lbs lost).
    --- Of course, if you DO reach it, we love to celebrate success, so tell us all about it.

During your healing process after the surgery, eating the 1200 calories a day will help you continue to lose weight, at a slower rate, until you can start exercising again.

Best hints:
    - No colas/sodas; reduce eating salty foods (chips, etc.)
    - Drink lots of water, de-caf tea, and some fruit juices.
    - Lean meats, baked, grilled.
    - Low-fat or fat-free milk and other dairy products.
    - Try to limit fats to olive oil and other clear oils.
    - Eat lots of vegetables, raw, grilled, sauteed, boiled.
    - Eat lots of fruits, raw, blended, etc.
    - Eat whole grains, rice, potatoes, and other basic carbs.
    - Even very slow walking, or most swimming moves, are good exercises to add to your every-other-day calendar.
    -- Or exercise the arms, waist, upper legs, from a seated position, if that is better for you.

You can do this! :drinker:
  • Good luck on your weight loss! I'm and ortho nurse, working with mostly hip and knee replacements, and the best adive I can give someone about to have one is to start working on your upper arm strength. You are really going to be dependent on arm strength to help you get around with your walker, and you'll be surprised how quickly they can get sore if they are not conditioned. Let me know if you have any questions about the surgery or recovery!
  • KrissyD70
    KrissyD70 Posts: 92
    Hi, just wondering how many younger total knee replacements you've seen? I am only 40 and knee replacement is usually reserved for a little bit older patients.
This discussion has been closed.