Machines vs free weights...

Options
So many questions...

I have been wondering what is best: machines or free weights?

I am pretty lost in the gym and went to the weight machine pre established circuit where I work out. 8 machines targeting the main muscle groups and I feel like it's better than nothing.

First question: is it better, for weight loss, to do max possible weight for 12-15 reps or lower weight and do 18-20 reps?

Second question is : would it be better to do different exercices with free weights like lunges with weights, dips on the bench.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals but free weights are almost always better than machines.
  • Jolenepiche
    Jolenepiche Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It was the best thing for me when starting at the gym because I had no real clue what to do, however, feel more confident now and might want to switch up soon.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    It was the best thing for me when starting at the gym because I had no real clue what to do, however, feel more confident now and might want to switch up soon.

Go for it... Look up a good beginner program some of which are posted on the boards.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I think machines have their place in the gym I personally dont use them much, but if you are a beginner they are a good place to start, especially without a spotter handy.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I do the machine circuit and I think it's great for beginners. I know I'm hitting all of the main muscle groups and I know my form is correct. Also, at my gym, there is a stoplight that tells you when to go and when to stop. In between machines there is a step center in the middle where you go and do steps to keep up your heartrate. The entire thing takes 30 minutes. I think it's a great place to start. I do eventually plan to switch over to free weights. I think they are harder and they help you gain balance. However, it's so important to make sure the form is correct. I'm giving myself a couple months until I work my way to that.
  • jpoehls9025
    Options
    Oh and rep ranges to me really depends on goals. Strength gainz = low rep ranges maximum weight 4-6 rep range. Muscle Hypertrophy (building / toning) 8-12 rep range.

Bodyweight exercises are amazing for toning up as well but always try to build some type of structured program or find one online to help you organize things.
  • jpoehls9025
    Options
    I do the machine circuit and I think it's great for beginners. I know I'm hitting all of the main muscle groups and I know my form is correct. Also, at my gym, there is a stoplight that tells you when to go and when to stop. In between machines there is a step center in the middle where you go and do steps to keep up your heartrate. The entire thing takes 30 minutes. I think it's a great place to start. I do eventually plan to switch over to free weights. I think they are harder and they help you gain balance. However, it's so important to make sure the form is correct. I'm giving myself a couple months until I work my way to that.

You got it~! my thoughts exactly.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I started with the machines. After a few months I started having some pain with some of them and after talking to people here on MFP and a trainer, learned that it probably meant the fixed path of those particular machines wasn't lining up with my anatomy. So I switched to free weights. The pain was gone immediately. AND I discovered I had to lift a lot lighter than expected since the free weights were recruiting more muscles that I hadn't been using because of the isolation of the machines. So I think free weights are better in general, but the machines are useful occasionally if you want to focus on one specific muscle. I also do the circuit once a week just for variety.

In my opinion, lift heavier fewer times. I do the weight that I can successfully do 12,10, & 8 reps before hitting failure. When I can do 3x12, I bump up the weight. I've lost 132 lbs--so weight loss always was my goal.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer free weights. I only use some of the machines on my "accessory" day which is back/shoulders once/week.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The free weights will also do a better job of getting a 'well-rounded' workout in each set. Lots of choices for compound lifts that will work multiple muscles at once (a lot of machines isolate smaller groups of muscles) and will also be utilizing your abs for balance.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Interesting question, I am interested in everyone's responses too!

I am a beginner and currently using machines. Mainly because I was worried about having proper form and wanted to get a better idea of where I am strength wise.

However, I fully intend on moving on to free weights once I gain some confidence in my abilities and have a better idea of what exactly my goals are. Right now, I am just trying to keep my muscle as I lose some fat. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Machines have their place, but I highly recommend using free weights as much as possible.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I use a little bit of everything.. free weights, machines, bands, bodyweight.. for me I like variety and each has their special place in my exercise routine
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    Free weights, you can supplement free weights with machines but don't be one of those people that use machines all the time. Like me for example, when I work out, I will use the squat press machine, the good girl/bad girl machine and the lat pulldown machine but I'm not doing only machine work as I'm still doing the squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead press, rows and my accessory movements.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Both have their place in a gym and in a routine. Generally, free weights will engage more muscles as you will utilize stabilizers muscles. Either way, if you are looking for optimal results, I'd get on a predesigned routine, like the ones found in this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

For simplicity, the Aworkoutroutine and M&S routines are simple
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Machines have their place, but IMO they shouldn't be at the foundation of your programming. Machines work your muscles in isolation...so they're great for assistance/isolation movements...but your body doesn't work in isolation, it works as a whole unit...when you work with free weights doing traditional compound movements, you're working your entire body as it is designed to work, including stabilizers and whatnot, which don't really get worked with a machine. You're also going to be more efficient in your workout as you can do a full body workout with less exercises than you would working all of your muscles in isolation.

Most of my programming is free weight with some isolation movements at the end of my workout...as machines go, I tend to use more cable stuff than anything.

Machines are certainly better than doing nothing, but not optimal as the foundation of your programming.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I started with the machines. After a few months I started having some pain with some of them and after talking to people here on MFP and a trainer, learned that it probably meant the fixed path of those particular machines wasn't lining up with my anatomy. So I switched to free weights. The pain was gone immediately. AND I discovered I had to lift a lot lighter than expected since the free weights were recruiting more muscles that I hadn't been using because of the isolation of the machines. So I think free weights are better in general, but the machines are useful occasionally if you want to focus on one specific muscle. I also do the circuit once a week just for variety.

In my opinion, lift heavier fewer times. I do the weight that I can successfully do 12,10, & 8 reps before hitting failure. When I can do 3x12, I bump up the weight. I've lost 132 lbs--so weight loss always was my goal.

Yes, indeed. Machines don't guarantee proper form and can actually force you out of it.

I like them for isolation exercises, and they're invaluable if you have issues with balance.