Counting walking calories

I generally work out or fast walk everyday, but wondered if my other steps on fitbit should be counted . Thanks

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    All steps are counted in Fitbit as they are an accumulated total of daily activity
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    I count my steps with both an old-school pedometer in my pocket and a fitbit. But I don't record them on MFP unless I actually Go For A Walk. All the rest is just background movement to me.
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    I've set my MFP activity level to the lowest but allow my UP (similar to Fitbit) to give calorie adjustment. I also log my swimming in UP. If you link MFP & Fitbit you won't need to add your walking as exercise to MFP as it will be done automatically.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited May 2017
    I generally work out or fast walk everyday, but wondered if my other steps on fitbit should be counted . Thanks

If your Fitbit is linked to MFP. it *should* be already in your activity. (However, mine did not show up in MFP for a couple of months - no idea why. It does now though.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    The "other steps" also require energy so if they cause you to move more than your activity level would estimate (that is, if they create an activity adjustment), I would eat at least some of them back.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    I just log my intentional exercise, not the random steps I do during the day. I figure that's part of my lifestyle, so included in my activity setting.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    I don't log normal activity steps, but if I go on a 5 or more mile walk/hike, I'll count that.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I assume I'm generally walking 2.5 mph and time myself running errands. I generally deduct about 5-10 minutes for slower pace moving inside the store, waiting at the checkout (if it's a long line, I'll keep track of the full time), waiting for the light to turn green, etc. And I eat back half my exercise calories.