Night eating out of control!!!!! Thoughts

Options

Replies

• elainematto
    elainematto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I've been doing lately. This suggestion does not get to the root of the problem, but the best I can suggest is to keep the chips and such out of the house.
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What time do you go to bed? If you stay up late, you'll get hungry again after dinner
  • Julesama
    Julesama Posts: 7
    Options
    When I get a late night sweet tooth that WILL NOT GO AWAY AT ALL, I have a tiny bowl of Breyer's fat free creamy vanilla ice cream! One serving has less cals than Skinny Cow and other "skinny" products- only 90 cal! Plus, it is fat free, so you don't get the additional fat that comes with cream based stuff, and it tastes delish! I usually just have a bowl of it by itself so I can really enjoy the vanilla flavor.

Now, the best thing I do is to clean out my pantry and fridge- no unhealthy ice cream, no cookies, no chips (although I don't really like potato chips anyways, so no loss!), that way I have nothing to snack on! Before that bowl of ice cream, though, I usually pick up a clementine or two. They are both sweet and sour, so I really like them, and fruit has so few calories! But if I have a feeling a clementine won't do the sugary trick, then I get a small bowl and take a serving of the ice cream. That always does the trick!!!
  • GreenBayDiva
    GreenBayDiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    same here these tips are great thanks.
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    Exercise! I often don't exercise until late evenings because that's the only time I can fit it in and/or it's the only time it is cool enough. It is 9:15 p.m. here and I just got in from a run (well, walking and jogging, but you know what I mean). An added benefit is that so long as I go to bed by midnight, I won't be hungry again!
  • Mom2Lizzy
    Mom2Lizzy Posts: 23
    Options
    Air popped popcorn with Mrs. Dash, a few almonds and a cup of herbal tea are great night snacks. Fiber, protein, flavor and no sugar which will make you hungry again quickly.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I prepack junk food in small portions, always have fresh fruit, and get some really spicy snacks. A hot snack before then a glass of water typically curb my late night munchies. But i haven't have the urges late at night for a while.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a party pooper but this thread needs a little tough love...

STOP THAT!

I don't think substitutions and mind games are a long term solution. Developing self control is.
  • mgiguere89
    mgiguere89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    any tips on eating healthy when your boyfriend loves eating burgers/steaks and fast food? Or how about when you work at an office and are always around donuts and junk food? I am the only one trying to eat healthy there lol

My husband is the same way, and what I do is if I know he's gonna have some, I ask him to tell me I can't have any if I ask him for some. He does it in a really nice way, like "honey you said before you didn't want any...". It works well, I am always like "I know, you're right. ooookkkkk..." So you could try that with your boyfriend.

As for being around junk food at the office, that is really hard, I know... I usually plan out my calories and plan out what snacks to eat when I get hungry at work. Also bringing a healthy "treat" food, like special K dark chocolate protein bars (that kind of taste like brownies) will be good for when you're tempted with real brownies, and will make you feel satisfied. Works well for me!
  • mgiguere89
    mgiguere89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a perfect eater all day long but after 9pm, its as if another person takes over my thoughts and all I want to do as eat bad food....

Anyone else like this and if so, how do you stop?

Yes I am totally like this some nights. What I find really helps is having some sugar free gum on hand, Trident brand is my favorite. Especially if you're craving something sweet, bubble gum and watermelon-type flavors are great. And you can have a few sticks and keep refreshing your gum if the craving continues. At 5 calories a stick, that will be much better than what you were gonna eat!
  • storknursekelly
    storknursekelly Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is how I gained my weight over the years.

All great suggestions. Even after 2 months of eating very healthy I still feel like if I let myself I could binge at anytime. So I have dinner, immediately brush my teeth & don't watch TV or stay downstairs where the kitchen is. It's not the food cause I've binged on healthy food as well before many times, it's the habit I'm breaking & the yo yo cycle. My husband has been very understanding, he knows how important it is to me, I can't expect everyone in the family to do what I'm doing, they don't have the habit ingrained in their brain for years. So I get away from the temptations that make me hungry sitting in front of a tv, kitchen. Think about it, our society has ingrained people to associate watching tv (sports bars, restaurants) & eat, and most people eat more because it's mindless eating.

I have found exercising in the evening has helped a lot !! And I totally agree if I eat a heavier meal in the evening it does seem to make me hungrier an hour or two later, I think because it's too taxing on the pancreas & people's blood sugars spike & then drop making them hungry again.

Feel free to add me as a friend :))
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I do this too. I make sure i "save" enough calories for my night time eating. But, i have also been able to tune into my body and i realize when i am tired i tend to gravitate towards sugary foods which will give my brain and instant boost of glucose (your brains only source of fuel). Try to figure out if you're just tired.. If you are go to bed. Sometimes eating protein, like a hard boiled egg, cottage cheese, etc will stop the sugar cravings and overeating.
  • vofide1
    vofide1 Posts: 3
    Options
    any tips on eating healthy when your boyfriend loves eating burgers/steaks and fast food? Or how about when you work at an office and are always around donuts and junk food? I am the only one trying to eat healthy there lol

I have this very same issue! To be honest when he goes through the drive through for a burger or meal and I am eating healthy..I kindly remind him of how many calories he his consuming...sometimes this works and makes him think that she too should change his eating habits, but other times he says he doesn't care because it taste better then what I am eating. I know how difficult this can make it to stay on a healthy track, and changing our eating habits together is much easier...especially since I am the one cooking his dinners!
  • vofide1
    vofide1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree! I will also do this and there are teas that are zero calories that we can sweeten up with some organic honey. I have found this really gives me a full filling!
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    This is so me---the best solution I found---GO TO BED. im serious--I lost 20 lbs when I started going to bed earlier. It was when I sat on the couch till 10 or 11 that i would snack snack snack
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have managed to make it a habit to switch my snacking to cups of tea after dinner - 28 calories for two and they keep your hands busy and your tummy satisfied.

I totally just started doing this as well now that i work nights and get home at 3am---so far...success!!
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    Last night I snuck down stairs after dinner (I even had quest pb cups ad dessert) and opened my fridge and opened a container of chocolate mousse and just...smelled it. I really wanted to eat it but I thought of this post so I didn't. I just smelt it for a bit and went back to bed. lol.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I used to eat ice cream at night when the kids went to bed. When I would quit sugar I would literally go crazy at night. Here is what worked for me:
    1) the best- I have a blendtec blender, I make "ices" with frozen fruit ( cheap by bag at costco). A pineapple freeze is like 50 cals and the ice and water fill me up. Its also something I can graze while ending the night watching tv
    2) Rice cakes and almond butter
    3) Almonds
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I used to eat ice cream at night when the kids went to bed. When I would quit sugar I would literally go crazy at night. Here is what worked for me:
    1) the best- I have a blendtec blender, I make "ices" with frozen fruit ( cheap by bag at costco). A pineapple freeze is like 50 cals and the ice and water fill me up. Its also something I can graze while ending the night watching tv
    2) Rice cakes and almond butter
    3) Almonds
    Oh yeah ... tea helps when I am not in the mood for an ice