Heavy Whipping Cream serving size after its been whipped?

Options
Does anyone know the serving size of heavy whipping cream once you whip it into whipped cream? The nutrition on the carton says 1 tbsp (30 mL) of it in liquid form. I'm assuming it doubles so maybe a serving is 2 tbsp of it after it whips?

Anyone with the answer would be greatly appreciated. I'm a bit low on my fat macros today and I don't want to eat almond butter because that'll bump my protein levels over. plus whipped cream just sounds fantastic.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on how much air you whip into it, I think. The liquid measurement would be the most accurate.

Not saying don't eat the whipped cream, but it isn't going to harm you to go over your protein macros (unless you have a specific medical issue that you haven't shared).
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Measure it before you whip it, so 10tbs = 10 servings.

Measure it after you whip it and divide total grams by 10 to get how many grams whipped are in a serving.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Whipping introduces a variable amount of air. So it would be really hard to measure it out by volume. Weighing it with a scale should still work. I would just estimate the cream as having a density similar to water (1mL equals 1gram). If you really wanted it to be accurate, you would have to look up the density of heavy cream and do some conversions.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    You could weigh it with a scale... Air or no Air the weight of the product wouldn't change. :)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You can't count calories properly without a scale. Don't even bother trying.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,011 Member
    Options
    Getting a food scale removed so much uncertainty for me and I never had to again ask questions like "What is a medium banana?" "How tightly am I supposed to pack this measuring cup?" Etc.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Is there a reason you can't measure before whipping? If you can, I would. If you can't, I'd use 2 tbsp whipped as a general estimate (USDA estimates that 1 cup fluid = 2 cups whipped).

This is absurd. I'm a fan of the scale, and prefer to weigh, but lots of people lose by calorie counting without using a scale. I didn't start using a scale because I wasn't losing (I was losing just as well before), but because it made it easier for me, given how my mind works, and if you'd told me I had to weigh everything to use MFP I probably wouldn't have tried MFP -- which would have been a shame, since MFP worked great, weighing or no, for me.

It's possible to use calorie counting for weight loss in a variety of different ways, and they don't all involve being super precise.
  • Poobah1972
    edited March 2021
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Is there a reason you can't measure before whipping? If you can, I would. If you can't, I'd use 2 tbsp whipped as a general estimate (USDA estimates that 1 cup fluid = 2 cups whipped).

This is absurd. I'm a fan of the scale, and prefer to weigh, but lots of people lose by calorie counting without using a scale. I didn't start using a scale because I wasn't losing (I was losing just as well before), but because it made it easier for me, given how my mind works, and if you'd told me I had to weigh everything to use MFP I probably wouldn't have tried MFP -- which would have been a shame, since MFP worked great, weighing or no, for me.

It's possible to use calorie counting for weight loss in a variety of different ways, and they don't all involve being super precise.

Since this conversation is specifically about Measuring whipping cream after it's been whipped... I wouldn't go as far to suggest Wilson's comment was absurd (maybe a little rigid?) , As how you whip, and with what Tool can greatly effect it's density. But hey, some people think wearing pant's around your mid hips is absurd? Others think it's the coolest thing in the world? Go Figure.

Anyway another sure fire way to come close is measure the amount of liquid before whipping , then try to determine how many servings you will be serving and just divide by said count. Easy to be fairly accurate if your the one doling out dollops, not so easy if it's a self serve affair.... Or if your serving, just try to make equal scoops and count the number of scoops you take... Then divide original figure by said scoops.

Where there is a way there is a will. (Yes I say that backwards). :smiley:
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Poobah1972 wrote: »

Since this conversation is specifically about Measuring whipping cream after it's been whipped... I wouldn't go as far to suggest Wilson's comment was absurd (maybe a little rigid?) , As how you whip, and with what Tool can greatly effect it's density. But hey, some people think wearing pant's around your mid hips is absurd? Others think it's the coolest thing in the world? Go Figure.

Anyway another sure fire way to come close is measure the amount of liquid before whipping , then try to determine how many servings you will be serving and just divide by said count. Easy to be fairly accurate if your the one doling out dollops, not so easy if it's a self serve affair.... Or if your serving, just try to make equal scoops and count the number of scoops you take... Then divide original figure by said scoops.

The truth is that there are plenty of people who successfully manage to estimate their calories for the purposes of weight management without using a scale. They may be allowing themselves appropriate buffers, they may be choosing foods that are simply easier to estimate, they may be lucking out with averages when it comes to being over or under, but I think it's inappropriately discouraging to tell people that they shouldn't even bother trying without a scale. It's true that many people find a scale makes it EASIER to consistently be accurate with estimating their calorie intake, but when it comes to weight management I'd personally never want to tell people that they shouldn't even bother if they are temporarily or even permanently not able to use what I consider to be the most accurate method.
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2021
    Options

Since this conversation is specifically about Measuring whipping cream after it's been whipped... I wouldn't go as far to suggest Wilson's comment was absurd (maybe a little rigid?)

Well, OP's question was specifically about that. I understood Wilson to be going well beyond that and asserting if one is not weighing, one shouldn't bother trying to lose by counting cals at all, which is simply not true for many people (if calling the statement absurd is a trigger of some sort we can use not true instead). It is also needlessly discouraging, as Jane says above, and as I tried to explain in the post to which you responded.

Obviously, it would be even more inaccurate to suggest that being unable to properly measure one small snack would make counting cals impossible or worthless -- when I was losing and generally counting pretty carefully, I still would work in a regular weekly trip to a restaurant (nice local places without cals provided, of course), and either estimate as best I could or sometimes just log 1000 cals or some other number that seemed reasonable enough given the meal.
    As how you whip, and with what Tool can greatly effect it's density.

Yes, of course, which is why I said to measure before whipping if possible. But given that it's a one time snack, it's not going to be a big thing to estimate the finished product if she can't measure before whipping for some reason (as I also said).
  • Poobah1972
    edited March 2021
    Options

The truth is that there are plenty of people who successfully manage to estimate their calories for the purposes of weight management without using a scale. They may be allowing themselves appropriate buffers, they may be choosing foods that are simply easier to estimate, they may be lucking out with averages when it comes to being over or under, but I think it's inappropriately discouraging to tell people that they shouldn't even bother trying without a scale. It's true that many people find a scale makes it EASIER to consistently be accurate with estimating their calorie intake, but when it comes to weight management I'd personally never want to tell people that they shouldn't even bother if they are temporarily or even permanently not able to use what I consider to be the most accurate method.

True enough, and as you can see by my suggestion I certainly agree... I was simply suggesting that it's wasn't quite up to my standard of what I would call Absurd, mostly as "for me" its a pretty heavy handed way to address someone, and far more likely to offend then it is to educate. Just my opinion though, as you can see I had made some good suggestions as to how one could get a pretty good idea of macro's without weighing said whipped cream. ( I mean no offence to any of the long timers here or other gang affiliates ) :)

P.s. I do hope you find that last bracketed suggestion funny, as it was intended to put a smile on yer faces!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

True enough, and as you can see by my suggestion I certainly agree... I was simply suggesting that it's wasn't quite up to my standard of what I would call Absurd, mostly as "for me" its a pretty heavy handed way to address someone, and far more likely to offend then it is to educate. Just my opinion though, as you can see I had made some good suggestions as to how one could get a pretty good idea of macro's without weighing said whipped cream. ( I mean no offence to any of the long timers here or other gang affiliates ) :)

P.s. I do hope you find that last bracketed suggestion funny, as it was intended to put a smile on yer faces!

I didn't have a problem with your method at all. If I didn't have a scale handy, I would probably do just that.
  • Poobah1972
    Options
    @janejellyroll (I gave you that hug, I sense we are a we bit closer then we once were.) ;)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    @janejellyroll (I gave you that hug, I sense we are a we bit closer then we once were.) ;)

Right back at you!
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2021
    Options
    mostly as "for me" its a pretty heavy handed way to address someone, and far more likely to offend then it is to educate.

My concern was that telling OP that trying to estimate a single snack/bite of whipped cream (or 2-3 bites) was worthless, and if she couldn't weigh it, or wasn't already weighing or planning to weigh her food, she might as well not bother counting cals/using MFP is extremely and needlessly discouraging, and rather out of the blue in a question about how to measure/count something she is trying to eat today.

I think that's a legitimate concern, although of course you can disagree. (I also think telling her "if you aren't going to weigh, don't even bother trying" is, in fact, absurd, as well as extremely dismissive, but like I said, we can just call it generally not true for most, if you prefer.)

Cheers.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something here? The calories wouldn’t change just because you whipped a bunch of air into it, would it? To my thinking, measure how much before you whip it and count that.
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2021
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? The calories wouldn’t change just because you whipped a bunch of air into it, would it? To my thinking, measure how much before you whip it and count that.

Looks like her carton doesn't give grams, and not clear if OP has a scale. The volume would change.

OP, if you do have a scale, compare with the USDA entry -- it says 1 tbsp is 51 cal, and gives the weight as 15 g, so if your carton says 51 or so cals, you could use the 15 g weight. (The reason I'd defer to the carton is that a particular brand could have more or less fat; I'm not sure how standardized "heavy whipping cream" is.)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    The OP was 4 years ago...not sure they are still around.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks one can successfully count calories using a diary and a database without a scale needs to re-examine ones thinking. I don't think one does any favors for a person by pretending that there are alternatives. One can lose weight in a lot of ways. But not by counting calories without a scale. I say, just be truthful - no scale? Don't bother. Just eat less, push back from the table. Go on the grapefruit diet. Fast one day gorge one day. But don't bother guessing at calories.