Oatmeal for Breakfast

Options
2»

Replies

• WalkingFlower
    WalkingFlower Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My recipe:
    Boil 1 cup of fat-free milk. Then add 5 tbsp of oats, 1 tsp of sugar, 1/2 (or 1) tsp of cinnamon.
    Cook briefly, stirring.
    At the end add 1 tsp of walnut oil (healthy fat).

This recipe is (circa): 302 kcal
    11g Protein
    8g Fat
    44g Carbohydrates (10g Sugar, 5g Fiber)
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people eat oatmeal with water....? Like what...? This really boggles my mind.

becasue it is healthier than having milk in it.

My recipe that i have every day is:

100g oats
    2 Egg whites
    10g of almond butter.
    4 teaspoons of stevia.
    10g of bourneville cocoa powder
    add water to make mixture how you like then zap it in the microwave.

513 Kcals
    60G Carbs
    16G Fat
    24G Protein
    13G Fibre
    1G Sugar

All good fats as well :-)
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have it most days:

50g oats
    250ml skimmed milk/semi skimmed/water
    Flaked almonds
    Cinnamon powder
    Raisins
    2 tsp honey

Microwave for 1.5mins then stir then microwave for 1 min in your breakfast bowl.

Around 500Kcal, tastes amazing and sets you up for the morning. I'm never hungry before lunch and even work out on this most lunchtimes.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys!

I am looking to reduce my weight and develop strength as well. I have been monitoring my diet and staying under my calorie limit while spending a good amount of time in the gym. I usually play squash/racketball/tennis everyday.

I was suggested by someone to start having oatmeal for breakfast. I have never prepared oatmeal at home and there are so many options out there, I don't know what to choose from! Do you think oatmeal is a good choice for me?

For proteins, I usually take about 6 egg whites and 3 whole eggs every other day (omelette with green bell pepper, scallions and tomatoes), Whey, the occasional cottage cheese and Greek Yogurt. I try to keep my carbs around 150 grams, fat under 50 grams and protein about 150 grams.

Where does oatmeal fit in? Any easy to make oatmeal recipes from scratch that you would recommend for me, when I am looking to maximize proteins and minimize carbs and fat?

Most mornings I have porridge (oatmeal) for breakfast.
    This is the product I use: http://www.uncletobys.com.au/product_detail/oats-quick-sachets-original/
    The oats are in individual 70g sachets and you add 0.5 cups of skim milk per sachet. I usually have two sachets with 1 cup of skim ,milk heat up in the microwave oven and 1Tbs of honey. Its a very satisfying breakfast and keeps me satisfied until about lunch time.
    Carbs: 425
    Fat: 5g
    Protein: 16
    Chol: 0
    Sugar: 44

Cheers

Ben
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people eat oatmeal with water....? Like what...? This really boggles my mind.

Skim milk is not bad for you (some argue that even fatty milk is healthy for you, but that's another argument). I can bet you milk is definitely healthier than nuking it though. xD
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

I'm working on cutting out dairy from my diet and don't use milk at all.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I use steel cut oats, almond milk, raisins, spenda, cinnamon and a dash of salt & vanilla. Takes time to cook up, but the best oatmeal I ever ate.

THIS THIS AND THIS!
  • dkxxyx
    dkxxyx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like to add oatmeal to my protein pancakes. 1/4 cup oats, 1/3 cup pancake mix, and 1 scoop whey protein (vanilla flavor) or like today I had oatmeal with almond milk, dried berries, chopped nuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg with a 3oz piece of turkey breast to get some protein with it.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    If I have the time, I use steel cut oats, otherwise I opt for quick cook oatmeal( 1min, 15 secs in microwave). I cook it with almond milk instead of water and chocolate protein powder and after it's cooked I add peanut butter and chia seeds.

If I'm doing a smoothie for breakfast, I'll throw a 1/4 cup of the quick oats in.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Skim milk is not bad for you (some argue that even fatty milk is healthy for you, but that's another argument). I can bet you milk is definitely healthier than nuking it though. xD

Everything is healthy for you, as long IFYM. And "nuking" it merely heats up water molecules. It's no less "safe" than stovetop cooking.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cook oatmeal on the stove. I use regular old fashioned rolled oats and do it in the microwave for 90 seconds (I like my oatmeal with texture). No pot to clean and much faster.
  • GoodSelf
    GoodSelf Posts: 10
    Options
    If you have a Costco near you (and are a member), Coach's Oats are really good. They have the steel cut texture, but you can cook them up on your stove in 5 min. I usually cook a big pot (4 cups water, 1 1/3 cups oats) and save the extra in the fridge to warm up over the rest of the week. It warms up really well in the micro.
  • uniquechic
    uniquechic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal pancakes! 40g rolled oats which I blitz into dust, one egg and 100mls milk, makes 2/3 small pancakes!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal pancakes! 40g rolled oats which I blitz into dust, one egg and 100mls milk, makes 2/3 small pancakes!

ooh, those sound good! I make an egg/banana pancake-I wonder what would happen if I added oats to it, going to try tomorrow :)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal I make steel cut oats think the texture is way better than the instant I make a big pot once a week and put the oatmeal in two serving containers and refridgerate. Makes about 10 containers or 20 servings. So i just take one container to work empty on a plate microwave and add I a serving of 2percent fage yogurt in it and mix it up. Get my carbs, protein and fats all in one meal. I use John McCain steel cut oats. If you really want variety check out this site I came across it here in the forums I am only passing along information www.MyOatmeal.com.
  • waterlily72
    waterlily72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I mix about 1/3c dry oatmeal with egg white
    Add 1-2 tbsp applesauce or mashed banana
    cinnamon, or a few dark choc chips
    Heat in small fry pan. Makes one big filling pancake!