Do any of you eat whatever you want to get the weight off, and will worry about nutrition later?

Options

Replies

• glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If you're cutting foods you like completely out of your diet because you believe you shouldn't eat them then of course you're going to struggle. That's where the whole 80/20, 90/10 philosophy comes from. You eat nutritionally dense and good for you foods the majority of the time and make room for the things that you like and aren't so good for you in the minority. It shouldn't be an either/or situation.

As for me, I'd aim for satiety within my allotted calories; proteins and good fats, lots of fibrous micronutrients. I'm not saying go low carb, as I am most definitely in the high carb camp, but I'd focus your efforts there if you're struggling.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    A false dilemma, and a sinister one that creates disordered eating. Good nutrition implies eating enough calories to maintain a healthy weight, or get off excess weight, or gain weight if underweight. Eating well implies not worrying too much about food. There should be no conflict between taste and nutritition - balanced, varied, fresh, nutritious food tastes good and is healthy. A candy bar does not negate the nutrition in broccoli, just as eating a whole head of broccoli in one go is pointless.

It's the other way around: Focusing on just calories made me want to eat better.

Cosigned.

• LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 257 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    KM0692 wrote: »
    I have been going back and forth between calorie counting and Weight Watchers since the first of the year. I just don't think WW is going to work for me, as I find it to be really restrictive (a 150 calorie protein bar is 1/4 of my daily WW points??). I have only ever been 10-12 lbs over my ideal weight, so it's not as if I have a long way to go. But the problem (I think) is that I am focusing too much on nutrition, eating the way I think I should be eating, and leaving little room for the things I really want to be eating.

So my question is: do you think it is a bad idea to eat whatever you want/desire as long as you stay within your calorie goal for the day? Get the weight off first and focus on nutrition later?

No its not a bad idea. I eat exactly what i want as long as im within my calorie allowance its working for me. I do make sure i weight EVERYTHING.
    My diet is pretty much the same as before ,just less of it.

Lost so far 24lbs
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In my case I worried only about calories at the beginning. When I was close to my goals (so less calories to allow) I started looking at macros, I needed to be more careful not to exceed by some fatty food. Now in maintenance I basically look at macros. I focus on proteins, and when my goal is reached, I "waste" the rest of the calories :smile:
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My protein is too low and while I'm trying to boost it, I keep on staying within the calories to lose even if I'm not hitting the protein. It's not "I'll worry about it later" but more that staying within the calories is goal 1 for now.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever i want, but i prelog my day and if I'm too low or high on this or that, then i tweak things around until I'm happy with my calories AND nutrition. For me, I've gotten into the swing of watching both, as they're equally as important to me.

This^^
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    KM0692 wrote: »
    I have been going back and forth between calorie counting and Weight Watchers since the first of the year. I just don't think WW is going to work for me, as I find it to be really restrictive (a 150 calorie protein bar is 1/4 of my daily WW points??). I have only ever been 10-12 lbs over my ideal weight, so it's not as if I have a long way to go. But the problem (I think) is that I am focusing too much on nutrition, eating the way I think I should be eating, and leaving little room for the things I really want to be eating.

So my question is: do you think it is a bad idea to eat whatever you want/desire as long as you stay within your calorie goal for the day? Get the weight off first and focus on nutrition later?

Frankly, I don't think it makes much difference in short term weight loss. However, for me personally, to eat only crap is going to reflect in how I feel, perform, and eventually, how well I manage my daily calorie intake. So I definitely look at the nutrition too; (protein is at the top of my list). Someone stated this above, and it is true for me: focusing on calories has always made me more conscious of nutrition.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Generally yes although I do try to get in as much micro nutrient rich food as I can
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I think the recent iterations of Weight Watchers try to guide your nutrition through their points, but their idea of what is nutritionally sound is inflexible. They still seem to be going heavy on fats being unhealthy, and try to get members to eat very lean meat, non-fat dairy, etc. A 150-cal bar eating up a quarter of your points doesn't sound like the best system for how you like to eat. . . if your dietary needs and food preferences don't follow their ideal macro/nutrition breakdown, calorie counting or IIFYM might be a better option.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The best way to make this sustainable is to eat what you want/desire within a calorie goal. If you want to maintain the loss you have to eat what you enjoy eating.

I do exactly that, it does help that I do actually like eating what people would consider nutrient dense/healthy/'clean' food. I love fruit, enjoy vegetables, 'whole foods', etc. and enjoy cooking from scratch. I don't actually like a lot of ready meals but will eat convenience foods I do like. I fit in sweets, cake, chocolate and ice cream when I want it.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It's ok to eat what you want while also keeping track of your nutrition. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
  • jessicalynch817
    jessicalynch817 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's been said but weight loss is all about calories in/calories out. I'm alloted 1330 calories a day. So basically I could eat 1330 calories of salad or 1330 calories of French fries and still be at a deficit and lose weight. Obviously one will make you fuller than the other.

I have lost about 20 pounds and have 80 more to go but I honesty eat what I want most days and just stay within my calorie allotment. It works!
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I used to do WW also but found myself struggling with the new plan too. I understand the "encouragement" toward healthy eating with the Points penalty, but it is very restrictive and can lead to frustration. I've also had that all or nothing feeling, which ironically they say their program helps prevent.

I find that to stay within calories and eat a decent amount I need to focus on nutrtionally dense foods. Is it possible for you to take whatever healthy eating habits (fruits, veggies, protein, etc) you have built from WW, and use them to guide your food choices? Try to plan your treats into your day by preplanning the healthier meals, then if there's room for a treat, enjoy it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,718 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Weight watchers could choose to set caloric and macro range goals for their users. They choose, instead, to use a proprietary points system. This allows them to merchandise products that include a points value. And allows WW to "guide" user choices by 'rigging' their points system.

I like the freedom of setting my own goals and being of being accountable to myself as to how many calories and what macros I consume.

This does require one to figure out what one's goals should be. And an appropriate caloric and macro goal is a prominent part of this figuring out!

Not everyone needs to eat the minimum 1200 Cal to lose weight.
    2lbs a week is not an appropriate goal for everyone.
    And 1/4 of your points for a 150 Cal of ANYTHING, much less a protein bar, sounds... irresponsible to be honest.

As to the question of eating to calories or nutritional goals or preference....

Well, first of all your caloric intake in conjunction with your energy expenditure will determine whether you will gain, lose, or stay put in terms of weight.

There are many macro balances that tend to work for people and many ways of eating.

MFP's default goals are a consensus base of macros that most people can start from and tweak as their knowledge and goals change.

Now whether you would rather eat a Snickers bar as opposed to 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit, well, that is up to you to resolve... my own solution is to do both :smiley:
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    If you're cutting foods you like completely out of your diet because you believe you shouldn't eat them then of course you're going to struggle. That's where the whole 80/20, 90/10 philosophy comes from.
    I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but there are foods I like that I don't really eat. If I did, I couldn't lose weight. But I do like the foods I am eating, and it's not a struggle.

On a separate note, I think giving nutrition low priority is a bad idea in the long term. Poor nutrition may not have any obvious effects immediately, but that doesn't mean it's not setting you up for problems later. It could also be a problem if after losing the weight they want to, someone tries to shift to a radically different way of eating.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about macros or how many servings of each food group I am eating. After seeing your post, though, I went back over my macro ratios and my eating lines up pretty closely with the preset ratios of MFP. So, I guess I am doing ok without even really trying.

For me, the priority is sticking to my calorie limit, but that doesn't mean that I am eating anything and everything I want. I am consciously making decisions at each meal about how to spend my calories. I think you can focus on nutrition while still eating what you like. You just may have to redefine your idea of what that means. I am not even close to being perfect in the area of nutrition, but I am also not completely abandoning it in my quest to lose weight. I think you'll find this is true for most people on MFP.