Mason jar meals ?

Options
jla2425
jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
Ive tried making zuchini lasagna and it was amazing in the jars baked. My diary is open so you can see it there. I do weigh everything out on scale so macros are accurate. Im looking for more main meal ideas including breakfast that i can store for 3-5 days in fridge and freeze for the other days. I plan to prep for 6 days a week. 3 main meals.

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have not baked in my mason jars yet. The lasagna sounds great. I mainly use them for snacks, yogurt and salads. I did make microwave egg jars that worked really well. I just put veggies and cheese in the jar and add 2 beaten eggs. When ready to eat microwave 30 seconds then stir, continue to cook 30 seconds at a time until desired texture.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/08/masonable-mondays-2-scrambles.html

Masonable%2BScrambles5.jpg

Here is a link to some of the other snacks and stuff I made. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/p/masonables.html
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    This would work for shrimp and grits, chicken and rice, oatmeal, lots of things...
  • dklibert
    Options
    You know I have been making baked oatmeal in muffin tins, I bet it would work great in the small mason jars.

I think meatloaf would work too.
  • jwcsanders
    jwcsanders Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have honestly never thought of making anything other than salads in mason jars. This is an awesome idea.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've been looking for the some good ideas for this. So far oats and egg dishes seem really good. Currently I use mason jar mugs (mason jars made with a mug handle) to blend my smoothies in directly on my blender. I can't believe how behind I was on that smoothie hack!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Stupid question, but does the air-tightness of mason jars help food stay fresh longer? I've only ever used them for things that are preserved. Never used one for a salad, much less a lasagna. How long would a lasagna stay good for? Does the 4 day rule still apply?

Also, wouldn't freezing them be risky due to cracking?
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Stupid question, but does the air-tightness of mason jars help food stay fresh longer? I've only ever used them for things that are preserved. Never used one for a salad, much less a lasagna. How long would a lasagna stay good for? Does the 4 day rule still apply?

Yes the mason jars seal tighter than most plastic or pop on seals because of the screw on. I make a weeks worth of salads every Sunday for work lunches. The lettuce is perfectly fine on Friday.

As to freezing, make sure they are room temp first.

Ball Preserving recommends against using mason jars in the oven though.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Just got this in an email this morning. Great yogurt flavor combos! 10 sweet and savory yogurts with toppings using the apple sauce cups and mason jars.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=QmUvFJSbN_8&t=0s
  • jla2425
    Options

I have never had a cracking issue but there not overly stuffed they have a bit of room to expand.
  • jla2425
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »

Yes the mason jars seal tighter than most plastic or pop on seals because of the screw on. I make a weeks worth of salads every Sunday for work lunches. The lettuce is perfectly fine on Friday.

I did let them cool for 1 hour beflre freezing. When used in oven i had already pre cooked the meat it was more for the veggie
  • jla2425
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »

Wow great thing you mentioned that about the ovens. I was very unaware wont be doing that again. Will use pyrex next time
  • projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the entire thread but in terms of breakfast one of the greatest Mason Jar breakfasts is to prep oats w/ greek yogurt and fruit in a Mason Jar night before. You can add anything extra in like chia seeds, flax, dried fruit, raw nuts, etc. You can make it as basic or jam packed as possible!

Look something like this:

5996.jpg

Here's a recipe page http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

• jla2425
    Options
    I didn't read the entire thread but in terms of breakfast one of the greatest Mason Jar breakfasts is to prep oats w/ greek yogurt and fruit in a Mason Jar night before. You can add anything extra in like chia seeds, flax, dried fruit, raw nuts, etc. You can make it as basic or jam packed as possible!

Look something like this:

5996.jpg

Here's a recipe page http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

Oh those look so good and much better than boring microwave oats with frozen fruit