What do you do when ypu go over your calories significantly??

Options
jla2425
jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
Went over my calories by 300 including eating my extra workout ones. Should i cut back an extra 100 for thr next 3 days or try to burn an extra 300 tomorrow ? Any advice. I am new to this also and this is ky first week. I am a binger eater badly but tonight i stopped myself at what i had. Really want to make progress as im doing a personally 10lbs in 60 day challenge for June 30th startinf on May 1st ect.

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The way I look at it, it's no big deal. For one thing, if you're trying to lose at 1 lb/week or faster -- which amounts to a 500 cal/day deficit -- 300 calories won't bring you to your maintenance level. It's still a deficit, just a smaller one.

But really, even if you go over maintenance calories for one day, it's not worth worrying about. I think the stress of what people call guilt over eating too much one day does more damage than the eating itself. Just get back on the wagon the next day and move on.

10 lbs in 60 days is perfectly doable -- if you have enough to lose. It gets more difficult to lose at that rate if we're already at a healthy weight. I'm saying that because your face looks very thin to me and I wonder if you really have that much excess weight?
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Move on, and try to be within goal going forward - It is also a learning proces.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Try one of the options you mentioned, wichever you feel more comfortable and maybe count the deficit weekly. Is not that bad to go above the limit occasionally, it may slow the process, but being consistent is the key to success in your goal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    look at your weekly goal. 300 cals isn't significantly!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Start fresh the next day :)
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I go way over my goals pretty much every Saturday and Sunday (not that I log weekend consumption).
    I go to the gym Monday to Thursday and eat healthily and under my target for the working week. I've been at maintenance for over a year now, and as long as I'm not exceeding my desired weight range, then I'm happy. If I start to put on too many kilos I just throttle back on my excesses.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    300 calories isn't significant in relation to your whole weight loss "journey" and even less so in relation to sorting out your binging tendencies. Bet it's still a calorie deficit anyway, jut a smaller one.

Binging and restricting are flips sides of the same coin - just let it go and move on.

I think time limited weight loss challenges are an awful idea, lose weight at the rate that is most healthy (physically and emotionally) for you.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Since you're asking what I do, I'll tell you that I make up for it in the following days with an extra workout or fewer calories, but I'm also in maintenance and can't really afford to just let my overages go over and over again.

I think if I were in your position, I'd probably just let it go and start fresh the next day since you're still losing. Good luck!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Put it behind you and get back on track. No need to do anything extra...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Just move on.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I wouldn't consider 300 calories to be a significant issue in any given day. Just get back on plan.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Accept it, don't over work out, don't skip your next meal. Log it and resume to normal.
  • SteadyDoinIt281
    SteadyDoinIt281 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just move on.

Many variations in this threaad, but this is the simplest.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Look at the Zig Zag diet
  • ckmoster
    ckmoster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Firstly, don't beat yourself up over it!!! It happens. Just pick yourself up and start again tomorrow. I don't know about you, but going over 300 calories of my allotted calories, is still so much better than I USED to eat. Baby steps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually just carry on with life...
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Put it behind you and get back on track. No need to do anything extra...
    Just move on.
    Like others have said, I wouldn't consider 300 calories to be a significant issue in any given day. Just get back on plan.
    tjkita wrote: »
    I usually try bolimia to get back some of the calories that I ate.

All valid responses
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Start new tomorrow! Don't ever punish yourself for an imperfect day, we all have them :smiley: