Short burst, High Intensity training

Options
I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of a video for short burst, high intensity training. I hear about Insanity or P90X which are High Intensity but if I'm reading correctly it's high intensity but not short bursts. I'm looking for a short burst of around 30-60 seconds with a moderate/mild of 2-3 minutes in between. I have been doing it on my own with my Wii Fit step aerobics (adding weights to my workout) and in the 'run' i will break into 30-60 second sprints but it would be neat to see if there is an actual video out there.

I'm really liking this whole short burst thing. I feel like I am getting such a good workout and its not soooooo long that I cant keep up. One of the reasons I quit exercising in the past is because I felt like I just wasn't good enough because I couldn't keep up with the instructor or the people around me. I've been exercising steadily since January and still feel like I can't keep up LOL but, this concept makes me feel like...hey, I can do this!

Replies

• Dawn_2013
    Dawn_2013 Posts: 170
    Options
    :happy: This may not be what you are looking for but the Jillian Michaels series (30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, etc...) is an intese 30 minute workout that hs intervals that I would say falls into HIIT. It is tough as first, but within days you are pleasantly surprised with your ability to keep up. I love it, and am hopin to get body revolution next.

Ohhh and you can get the DVDs for around $7 at Walmart.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The term for this type of exercise is HIIT (high intensity interval training). It's becoming pretty popular amongst those who are trying to incorporate cardio, but either can not or don't want to do the steady-state cardio. I don't know if you'll find any videos, other than on youtube, about it because there's not too much to it. But you might be able to do some searching around the web for articles, videos, etc.

But if you're interested in learning more about it, there was a podcast episode that featured a conversation about it with a researcher of HIIT cardio.

http://webtalkradio.net/internet-talk-radio/2013/04/15/brink-zone-radio-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit-overrated-or-the-optimal-form-of-exercise/