Birth Control Pills over the age of 40?

Options

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Took them for 3 decades, excluding several years to have my 2 children. No problems and having lighter periods was a wonderful side effect. I had no risk factors.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Would an IUD be an option? No more periods, yay!
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I was on BC for about 10 years and stopped because I wasn't sexually active. I saw what being on the pill did to my body after and didn't want to go back to taking something that changed my body's natural cycle. I current use a diaphragm which has worked out great for me. I'm also practicing TCYF (taking charge of your fertility book) and looking at understanding my body and it's been amazing! I'll never go back to taking meds or try inplantations.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm 38, been on them since 16, and I have no plans of ending them until my "time" comes. Never had issues, and I'll be on them until I have issues. My gyno says it's safe and better than having an unexpected pregnacy at my age.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I got a tubal ligation done 16 yrs ago. Best decision I ever could've made!

Same here! If you are not planning to have children I'd suggest discussing tubal ligation with your GYN.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I debated getting an IUD but I heard horror stories about that too so I'm not on any bc but I'm fortunate that my bf is totally shut down.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have a paraguard IUD. It is a copper IUD, so no jormones
  • KiloMad
    KiloMad Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have a paraguard IUD. It is a copper IUD, so no jormones

I have a hormonal IUD and was told that I would not need it changed in 5 years when the hormones run out - I was 46 when I had this one put in

I have found this thread very interesting
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There is so much I want to say but can't, for frustration at being treated as someone who does not have a brain by our health service. UK. Testing ones natural hormone levels is not done often or in depth enough. The pills actions over-ride our natural hormone levels/functions. If you are left unscathed you are fortunate.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    TrinityR05 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I wouldn't necessarily be taking them to prevent pregnancy. It would be mainly to ease my symptoms of monthly cramps as I cannot take any anti-inflammatory meds.

For those of you 40 years of age and older, what brand birth control pill are you on?

I am well over 40, had to stop taking BC becat 36 because I smoked.
    Doctor gave me a Mirena. I'm on my second one (they last for 5 years) and I haven't had a period in 10 years.

If you are looking at BCPs for cramps, I'd ask your doctor about the Mirena and just remove the monthly period from the equation all together**

** not all women stop getting periods, but most do, or get a day a or two of spotting.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    I was advised not to take them after age 35 but there were risk factors

The most frequent I heard were risk of blood clot and stroke. Especially if a current or past smoker.

I went with the permanent version: endometrial ablation and tubal ligation. No more periods! Woo-hoo me! Eight years of freedom and no pms! :star:
  • JadeMarie123x
    JadeMarie123x Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 and worry about taking this pill! Any alternatives that are good for someone who is squeamish?!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 and worry about taking this pill! Any alternatives that are good for someone who is squeamish?!

There's really nothing to be squeamish about. Millions of women have taken the pill and found it to be the best option. And the beauty of it is if you do develop any side effects, you can just stop taking it. Sometimes you have to try a couple of different types to find the one that agrees with you. I was on the pill for 15 years and my doctor had to convince me to stop because of my age combined with my history of migraines. And it was way less scary than my crazy cycle or an unplanned pregnancy!

What about it worries you? Do you just need BC or are there some other issues you are considering it for?
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm 45 and took the pill from age 17 AND smoked the whole time up until 2 years ago, when my husband finaaaalllly had a vasectomy. I didn't experience any negative side effects, but like all things, it's the luck of the draw.

There are many other birth control methods other than the pill, do they all cause possible complications after the age of 40, or is it just the pill?

My doctor wanted me off the pill once I hit 40 because I get migraines. She suggested mirena because the hormones stay localized rather than circulating throughout the whole body so the risk is lessened. I decided to go without for the time being. I think I heard that progestin only methods are safer as well, but don't quote me on that! I guess it's the estrogen that increases the stroke risk, and that seems to be magnified for women who smoke, get migraines, and or are over a certain age.

I actually started getting the Depo shot in order to control my hormonal migraines. I'm 40 now, and my OB/GYN said she's fine keeping me on it even into my 50's.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    TrinityR05 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I wouldn't necessarily be taking them to prevent pregnancy. It would be mainly to ease my symptoms of monthly cramps as I cannot take any anti-inflammatory meds.

For those of you 40 years of age and older, what brand birth control pill are you on?

Oh, if it's not to prevent pregnancy, you could discuss Prometrium, which is a natural progesterone, with your GYN. I didn't like the pill, and I didn't like synthetic progesterone, but I have no negative side effects with Prometrium. (I didn't take this for cramps, but for other menstrual irregularities.)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    When I was in my late 20s, I developed a type of migraine which increases the risk of stroke while taking the pill, so I switched to a Mirena (hormonal IUD). I haven't had a period since then, and I'm on my second Mirena now. Getting either IUD inserted was not fun, but I'm really glad I did it. It might be an option for your symptoms.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My GP switched me from a normal pill to a mini pill (progestogen-only) prescription when I hit 40. Since it's something I take for management of my cycle vs birthcontrol I wish I'd changed sooner - I'm much more comfortable each month. I'm reasonably sure that the government guidelines mandate a change due to rick factors increasing with age.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    If the IUDs bother you, but you like the concept, you could try the implant (nexplanon is what I have). I just got it placed as my post partum birth control. It goes under the skin in your arm.

Is more effective than BCP and can stop your periods just like an IUD. Doesn't have the same risk of embedding in the uterine wall or falling out from improper placement.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I wanted tubal ligation and was persuaded that the Mirena was a better choice as a less intrusive procedure and that I'd have no periods. I was told it was "safe".

It wasn't. It was just awful. The actual fitting was fine, a bit uncomfortable but ok. I bled the whole time I had the stupid thing. It also triggered a lot of problems, including a major flare of my auto-immune condition which, nine months later, my consultant is still trying to get back under control.

I also had lots of other problems, including terrible pain with all my joints and muscles, exhaustion, weakness, poor memory/foggy thinking, night sweats, intolerant to temperature changes and strong smells (perfume etc), tingling hands, headaches, generalised pain, dry mouth/eyes, skin problems, sleep disorders, tinnitus, eating problems (mainly not wanting to eat). I was intolerant of medicines. I was also depressed and seriously contemplating suicide - to a point of actually planning it.

My mother pointed out to me that the problems I was experiencing all started within a couple of weeks of having the Mirena fitted. Once I realised that she was right, I researched my symptoms and found that they were due to the Mirena (silicone poisoning) and I removed it immediately, three months after it was fitted.

My doctor also said that it couldn't possibly be due to the Mirena. However, most of my symptoms stopped with the removal of it. I felt better almost instantly from many of the symptoms although the auto-immune issue continues to be a bit problematic. Interestingly enough, my auto-immune consultant said that they were aware that the Mirena can cause issues but cannot advise women of this as there's no supporting evidence-based research.

I'm still having problems apart from the auto-immune flare; I'm still hyper-sensitive to smells (perfume, shampoo, cigarettes etc), I have a constant dry mouth and eyes, intolerance to and exacerbated side effects of medication. But I'm in a better place than I was six months ago when I removed it.

I would urge anyone considering having the Mirena fitted to do their research very carefully - there are thousands of women complaining about it and although i realise that it's all anecdoctal and not researched in the scientific sense, it means something.

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    brookielaw wrote: »
    Would an IUD be an option? No more periods, yay!

Lucky you. I had an IUD for about a year and a half and my periods got so much worse. Had it taken out after twice having a three week bleeding period in my cycle.