is this hiit?

Options
Luna3386
Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
Does hiit have to be (for running)- a sprint followed by a rest?

Could hiit be 4 minutes of increased intervals on the treadmill. Like: 5.0 mph, 5.5, 6, 6.5 and repeat until 20 minutes have elasped?

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I don't think so. The intervals are supposed to be really high and then low, repeating. You're burning calories either way, so you still win.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    HIIT for anything is going all out for 30-60 seconds followed by active recovery (or some people just rest completely but I don't like to do that). So, what you're doing isn't HIIT. Not that what you're doing is bad.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Jog for about 3 minutes then sprint for one minute then repeat for 20-30 minutes. You can also do it on the bike, rowing maching, eliptical. Focus is to spike the heart rate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It's very hard to do HIIT on machines, because it's about impossible to increase the speed to MAX for the short 15-45 sec max time, rest is 3x as long, to allow the next interval to be just as hard. Elliptical seems a tad easier because you can increase the resistance, and then increase the movement speed to max after that happens. Treadmill you are waiting for belt to speed up, and you don't know if truly hitting max speed.

You can do other forms of intervals, like SIT (Short Interval Training) or regular intervals based on time or distance or HR.

Other intervals are pace based on some max, or regular pace (just like weight lifting is usually based on some max that is possible), or HR zones even.

Sounds like you are doing more the Jog / Walk intervals, which isn't intervals in the traditional since of doing a short bit harder, but rather a short bit easier merely to take a load off the harder part.
    I prefer to do that in training actually, easier on joints, then the actual race day is faster and no walking.
    Also this allows what is usually a more efficient form going faster pace on a decent amount of time, but still giving some recovery to the heart/muscles or joints.
    Allows you to keep your body used to the faster pace.

HIIT is about as close as you can get to lifting for a cardio workout - because it's like lifting in that regard to a max effort for the time and reps done. That's why it can have a positive effect like lifting for fat burn during the repair and recovery time - if done right.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »

Could hiit be 4 minutes of increased intervals on the treadmill. Like: 5.0 mph, 5.5, 6, 6.5 and repeat until 20 minutes have elasped?

No, this isn't HIIT. This sounds more like pacing or intervals. HIIT is where you go all out for a short period of time (I've been told it's 20-30 seconds but I've seen others say up to 60 seconds) before easing up on the pace (low intensity level) for anywhere between 1-3 min. And then repeat.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    No, that is really just running at an increased pace. HIIT training would be difficult to do for over 30 seconds straight.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

No, it couldn't.

Because if you're able to run at 6 (six what?) for 4 minutes and then at 6.5 for another 4 minutes, then the 6 wasn't nearly hard enough.

The point of the rest intervals isn't to make this rhythmic like square dancing. It's because on the not-rest intervals, you're going so hard that you can't continue. Going so easy that you don't need rest is another thing entirely, maybe you could call it low intensity interval training.

Anyway, people who don't race see minimal benefit from doing HIIT, it's not a type of workout meant for people who haven't already developed a strong aerobic base, and it does not burn many calories.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's not HIIT, but then again it doesn't have to be. An interval training routine like the one you are describing will help improve fitness and increases total workout calorie burn.

Unless you enjoy doing HIIT, there is little justification for an average exerciser to push themselves to do it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No it's just IT.

Which is an absolutely fine way to train.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The reason for rest between intervals is because if you are doing HIIT the high intensity is so high that it isn't physically possible for you to repeat the interval. If you think you can repeat the interval without rest then you aren't pushing yourself hard enough.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

No, it's interval work...but it isn't HIIT. This will improve your fitness though. In reality, HIIT has become a trendy fitness marketing term...most people talking about HIIT aren't doing HIIT. HIIT was designed to help already superb athletes get a little extra to give them the slightest edge.
  • Luna3386
    Options
    OK, thank you.

For my intervals, I run for 1 minute at each level (the 6 I mentioned is the 6 mph button on the treadmill. Which actually is 10 minute mile or something).

So hiit overrated? I've read a lot of people have success with it. I'm not an athlete, I just want to be less fat.

I guess it is nice to switch it up. Today I did 20 second sprints with a 10 second rest.

During warmer months with no school kids out on the track, I will do intervals there.

Reminds me of my track days. Of course, I was a thrower but since we had no throwing coach we had to mostly do running :(
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    20 seconds sprint with 10 second rest would be hiit if you were going all out. It is not overrated. It is the fastest way to improve fitness in the least amount of time. Good job pushing yourself!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some cardio race goal, like running a race faster, you don't need muscle improvements for those just for running.

The aspect of extra fat burn available for HIIT compared to just straight level intensity cardio is because it can cause damage getting close to what lifting can do, and that increases metabolism during repair and recovery.

But if you want the best true effect of that - skip the HIIT and just use your available time to do the strength training. You can still obtain heart health benefits on much less time other ways.

You'll transform the whole body more, instead of just your running muscles. Like treadmill intervals aren't going to do anything for say flabby arms, or muffin top.

Diet will take care of that to some extent, making it smaller amounts of fat.

But neither of those things will cause muscle to magically appear in your upper body if you aren't using it.
  • Luna3386
    Options
    I do lift 3 days a week. I'd love to do only lifting but I would like to be in good cardiovascular shape. I live at high altitude and I'd like to be in good shape all around. And I like only being on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    HIIT can be a function of time OR distance...the key is to push yourself as hard as you can...the easiest for beginners is distance... mark out 25... 50... 75... 100 meter/yard markers in a field... sprint to 25... walk back... sprint to 50... walk back... out to 75... and 100... repeat 4 times... once that gets easy...sprint out and back from those markers and rest 30 seconds... once that gets easy... add intervals of 200 m and 400 ... (if you have access to a field track even better)... on a treadmill... it's a bit tougher because now you have to figure out how fast is safe for you to run... a stairmaster is a little better because you can ramp up speed and go for floors (distance) or time... any good HIIT interval will leave you feeling like you are going to drop dead of a heart attack SO... before engaging in HIIT talk to your doctor and ask him if he has any concerns... world class athletes have dropped dead from this sort of training...

HIIT is weightlifting for your cardio, respiratory and circulatory systems... done correctly you can see dramatic reductions in BP and heart rate... and equally dramatic increases in performance...IF you have running goals or plan to go on a long hard hike (mountain trekking) THIS activity will turn you into a machine...you will have more energy, and more stamina to engage in whatever activity you enjoy... it is meant to be supplemental to steady state cardio not a replacement... if you are a runner... a regular 2-4 mile run early in the day... followed by HIIT during your lunch hour... will show dramatic increases in your performance over a short period of time... BUT... like all good things... too much is a bad thing... any HIIT should be conducted over a shorter time frames because there IS a ceiling to everyone's performance.... after you hit a major cardio goal (5-6 minute mile as an example). it becomes a matter of maintenance and you should scale back your HIIT to once/week... overtraining is a real thing. always warm up before HIIT.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    So hiit overrated?

Yes, absolutely. For anyone who isn't training seriously, HIIT is massively overrated.
    heybales wrote: »
    The aspect of extra fat burn available for HIIT compared to just straight level intensity cardio is because it can cause damage getting close to what lifting can do, and that increases metabolism during repair and recovery.

But if you want the best true effect of that - skip the HIIT and just use your available time to do the strength training. You can still obtain heart health benefits on much less time other ways.

As usual, what @heybales says is true, and not just true but on point and not taken out of context or misleading at all.

As far as cardio benefits go, you're mainly improving your anaerobic (sugar burning) system which is great for explosive bursts of power, like sprinting for the finish line, but it's extremely time-limited. Much better for most people to improve their aerobic (fat burning) system which is what gets you through a century or a marathon.

And the after-burn from HIIT is true, but less than you'd think. You might burn 200 calories from an intense HIIT session and have a 10 % after-burn, for an extra 20 kCal which doesn't even get you an oreo.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Google the "Ultimate 8 week HIIT for Fatburning Program" written by Dr. Jim Stoppani. Its a short article but he explains HIIT well and even starts you off with a work/rest ratio of 1:4. Its worth reading if you wonder about HIIT.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I can't do high impact anything so running and sprints are out for me. This is what I do for HIIT: rowing, battle ropes, kettle bell swings and the sled.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I can't do high impact anything so running and sprints are out for me. This is what I do for HIIT: rowing, battle ropes, kettle bell swings and the sled.

When I did HIIT, it was on an elliptical. once I finish C25k I may add a HIIT day if my knees are still gripy.