I've lost weight but why are my thighs getting bigger?

Options
2»

Replies

• ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    so what some of you are saying is that OP is definitely wrong, everyone gains and loses in exactly the same way, and literally nobody has ever gained any muscle while in calorie deficit. good to know.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When you say intense... you mean... running, biking, elliptical??

Your thighs are getting bigger because
    1. you're retaining more water
    2. You're gaining muscle
    3. You haven't started losing fat on your legs.

If the OP is in a calorie deficit it is almost definitely not option 2. It's more than likely option 1.

Can't you get newbie gains even in a deficit? I know they're nothing significant, but my thighs definitely got a little bigger once I started biking/running/doing light squats.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you actually measured, OP, or do they just feel/look bigger to you?

You can build some muscle in a deficit. It is a lower amount than you would build in ideal (i.e., excess calorie) conditions. A lot of times what we think is more muscle is either less fat or more water.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    optical illusion?

When I look down, I think my legs are monsters. Then I take a pic and then go back to squatting

This ^^

Also, OP have you been measuring your thighs? If not, honestly, it's probably an optical illusion. I have days where I think my thighs, waist, hips, etc have gotten larger. But then I measure them and realize that, nope, they haven't changed a bit.