Confused about weight lost.

Replies

• _MissBrie
    _MissBrie Posts: 114 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Well, you're eating 1300 calories and breastfeeding...so take out another 500 or so...so now you're down to really about 800 calories...then you're working out for what...60 minutes or so? So let's say conservatively 300 calories..so now you're really taking in about 500 calories per day...not good...but it would explain a lot.

Wow. I didn't realize that. I just can't imagine eating more since what I'm eating fills me up when I am hungry. But even with not weighing my food, I don't think I'm much over what it says my calories are.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    _MissBrie wrote: »
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    that doesn't help me a lot. How many lbs to lose per week are you setup for on MFP? and how many does this equate to? how are you logging it? do you weigh? do you use labels?

you are eating so little. it is weird LOL not you..just the situation ;)

On the breastfeeding, i can't help you on the impact of that. it would seem you need to consume more calories to breastfeed but frankly I have pec's not breast ...per say ;)

wish i had your problem! lol i'd workout for 20 days and i'd be at goal!! lol.

lol I'm sorry, I know I'm not explains things well. I'm right about 1300 calories. Not eating back my calories from working out or breastfeeding.
    MFP has me at 1600 to lose a pound a week. I use labels when I can, or I measure if I can't. The only thing I'm pretty much guessing on is my chicken, but it's just a small chicken breast per night. Everything is measured by cup.

that seems incredible low, especially for breastfeeding....

Does it? I don't feel like I'm under eating! I get hungry every couple of hours..and I eat on that schedule, but it is enough to satisfy me. I'm never super hungry and I never go to bed hungry. Do I really need to be eating more???

given you're only using measuring cups, it might not be that low, you don't specify if its 1c of rice cooked or uncooked, or how much chicken?

One cup cooked rice, and honestly not sure on the chicken, but uncooked about the size of my palm.

you definitely need a food scale, im going to guess that 1c of cooked rice is MAYBE 1/2c uncooked. But again 1c of rice weights different than 1c of lettuce, which is why it's important to get a food scale.

Also, as a side note, have you switched scales to compare?
  • _MissBrie
    kimny72 wrote: »
    that doesn't help me a lot. How many lbs to lose per week are you setup for on MFP? and how many does this equate to? how are you logging it? do you weigh? do you use labels?

On the breastfeeding, i can't help you on the impact of that. it would seem you need to consume more calories to breastfeed but frankly I have pec's not breast ...per say ;)

lol I'm sorry, I know I'm not explains things well. I'm right about 1300 calories. Not eating back my calories from working out or breastfeeding.
    MFP has me at 1600 to lose a pound a week. I use labels when I can, or I measure if I can't. The only thing I'm pretty much guessing on is my chicken, but it's just a small chicken breast per night. Everything is measured by cup.

Does it? I don't feel like I'm under eating! I get hungry every couple of hours..and I eat on that schedule, but it is enough to satisfy me. I'm never super hungry and I never go to bed hungry. Do I really need to be eating more???

Yes it's low. I am 5'5, 130 lbs, lightly active, and I eat 1700 cals to maintain my weight. And breastfeeding requires extra calories. I would suspect you are eating a bit more than you think, especially if you aren't hungry and up until recently were not losing weight.

But I don't think I'm that far past what it says I'm eating. Since the only thing I'm really guessing on is my chicken. Everything is the serving size... do I really need to weigh the half cup of cottage cheese or yogurt? I honestly don't know. Or the one egg and turkey bacon? I'm super new to this so I genuinely have no idea lol I've never really been one to eat a whole lot, so I don't feel like I'm over eating, even with not being hungry.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, keep in mind you are never one specific weight. There is a lot of other stuff in your body than just fat (water, bones, muscle, digesting food, etc.) and the weight of that stuff fluctuates from day to day. Especially for women, hormones can cause your water weight to fluctuate by 5 or more lbs from one day to the next.

Are you logging your food? Do you know how many cals you are eating and how many you should be eating?

Oh I am totally aware of that. I'm talking about when I weigh myself in the morning. And I logged my food in the beginning, but I eat the same thing everyday so I sometimes log just for record now. I put what I eat in another comment...I'll have to look at exactly what it said the calories were

Yes, when you weigh yourself every morning. Sometimes you'll be carrying a little more water weight sometimes a little less. Sometimes your muscles will be strained a little and will be holding onto glycogen for repairs. Sometimes your digestive system will work a little slower and you will have some undigested food still floating around. Most women retain water for several days around their TOM, several lbs of it.

If you aren't accurately tracking, it's really hard to say what could be going on. But when you are losing measurable weight from day to day, with no change in your diet, I would guess it's water weight.

But I'm not losing weight day to day. It's just when I work out, otherwise I stay the same. I was 143.3 for four months, no change either way until I started working out. And then I went down to 138.8 and stayed exactly that for a week until I went to the gym again, then it was 137.8 for however many days between going to the gym..and so on. I'm at 135.8 this morning, went to the gym yesterday. I figured it was water weight as well, I just thought it was so strange that every day I would step on the scale and the same number would come up until I went to the gym again, then it would be a pound less...and be that same weight every day until I went to the gym again. Just thought it was weird!

I'd suggest two things:
    1. Go back to using the food scale for a few weeks and verify how much you are really eating.
    2. Put new batteries in your bathroom scale. If it was giving you the exact same number including decimal points every single day, it might be a battery problem!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
  • _MissBrie

given you're only using measuring cups, it might not be that low, you don't specify if its 1c of rice cooked or uncooked, or how much chicken?

One cup cooked rice, and honestly not sure on the chicken, but uncooked about the size of my palm.

you definitely need a food scale, im going to guess that 1c of cooked rice is MAYBE 1/2c uncooked. But again 1c of rice weights different than 1c of lettuce, which is why it's important to get a food scale.

Also, as a side note, have you switched scales to compare?

Yes, I've weighed myself at home, then gone to the gym, used their scale and it's the same. And I knew they weighed differently, but I just went off of what MFP said 1c cooked rice was. I figured going off of what the measurements were would be enough. I guess not! Lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    OP, keep in mind you are never one specific weight. There is a lot of other stuff in your body than just fat (water, bones, muscle, digesting food, etc.) and the weight of that stuff fluctuates from day to day. Especially for women, hormones can cause your water weight to fluctuate by 5 or more lbs from one day to the next.

Are you logging your food? Do you know how many cals you are eating and how many you should be eating?

Oh I am totally aware of that. I'm talking about when I weigh myself in the morning. And I logged my food in the beginning, but I eat the same thing everyday so I sometimes log just for record now. I put what I eat in another comment...I'll have to look at exactly what it said the calories were

Yes, when you weigh yourself every morning. Sometimes you'll be carrying a little more water weight sometimes a little less. Sometimes your muscles will be strained a little and will be holding onto glycogen for repairs. Sometimes your digestive system will work a little slower and you will have some undigested food still floating around. Most women retain water for several days around their TOM, several lbs of it.

If you aren't accurately tracking, it's really hard to say what could be going on. But when you are losing measurable weight from day to day, with no change in your diet, I would guess it's water weight.

But I'm not losing weight day to day. It's just when I work out, otherwise I stay the same. I was 143.3 for four months, no change either way until I started working out. And then I went down to 138.8 and stayed exactly that for a week until I went to the gym again, then it was 137.8 for however many days between going to the gym..and so on. I'm at 135.8 this morning, went to the gym yesterday. I figured it was water weight as well, I just thought it was so strange that every day I would step on the scale and the same number would come up until I went to the gym again, then it would be a pound less...and be that same weight every day until I went to the gym again. Just thought it was weird!

It looks like you're losing about 1 Lb per week then...it's just not in a linear fashion...which is normal because weight loss is a trend, not a linear trajectory. My guess is that you are/were in fact eating more than you think/thought and exercise has increased your energy expenditure which has put you in a deficit of roughly 500 calories from your maintenance.

I think the exercise part is partially coincidence combined with some water loss from sweat, etc.
  • _MissBrie

Oh my goodness
  • _MissBrie

Oh my goodness

It cut off everything else I wrote lol I was using those exact same white measuring cups. I definitely need to get a good scale. Thank you!
  • _MissBrie

It looks like you're losing about 1 Lb per week then...it's just not in a linear fashion...which is normal because weight loss is a trend, not a linear trajectory. My guess is that you are/were in fact eating more than you think/thought and exercise has increased your energy expenditure which has put you in a deficit of roughly 500 calories from your maintenance.

I think the exercise part is partially coincidence combined with some water loss from sweat, etc.

Must be. Maybe 1lb combined with water weight? Because I was 143.3 two weeks ago and I'm 135.8 today. My biggest thing is I just wanted to make sure I was being safe about everything. Thanks for your help!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member

1 cup of cooked rice is approximately 1/3 cup uncooked (as long as you don't pack the rice into the cup). You use twice as much water as rice when cooking rice.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    I'll defer to @sardelsa with this, as she is the queen in regards to calorie counting and breast feeding, but I would definitely say that if you are breast feeding and working out, you definitely should be eating more than 1300 calories a day. Breast feeding burns calories, exercising burns calories, and I know you may be trying to lose weight, but if you have too aggressive of a deficit, that can really screw with your body (hair loss, dry skin, amenorrhea, muscle catabolism to say the least)
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    The other concern with not eating enough while breastfeeding is you may lose your supply? Is your baby gaining enough weight? I know it's easy to get impatient to lose weight but remember your little one is relying on you for nourishment.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Must be. Maybe 1lb combined with water weight? Because I was 143.3 two weeks ago and I'm 135.8 today. My biggest thing is I just wanted to make sure I was being safe about everything. Thanks for your help!

So you've lost 8lbs in the last two weeks with this new routine? I'd be worried about compromising your milk supply.
  • _MissBrie
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

So you've lost 8lbs in the last two weeks with this new routine? I'd be worried about compromising your milk supply.

No issues with my supply! Nursing exclusively and getting about 20oz a day pumping. And baby girl is a little chunk!
  • _MissBrie
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    The other concern with not eating enough while breastfeeding is you may lose your supply? Is your baby gaining enough weight? I know it's easy to get impatient to lose weight but remember your little one is relying on you for nourishment.

I promise, my children are first and foremost. I really am in no hurry to lose this weight...I don't have much to lose. I'm not intentionally trying to have drastically low calories, it's just what my calories are at with what I eat in a day. I'm not even trying to cut calories, that's just how I eat. I suppose, at the advice of many people on here, I will try to eat more. And the exercise isn't really to lose weight, I enjoy it, and it makes me feel good and fights my post partum depression. Without it, I am a basket case. I want to be healthy and strong for my kids, and I really don't want to take anti depressants when I have the strongest one for me there is.
  • _MissBrie
    I'll defer to @sardelsa with this, as she is the queen in regards to calorie counting and breast feeding, but I would definitely say that if you are breast feeding and working out, you definitely should be eating more than 1300 calories a day. Breast feeding burns calories, exercising burns calories, and I know you may be trying to lose weight, but if you have too aggressive of a deficit, that can really screw with your body (hair loss, dry skin, amenorrhea, muscle catabolism to say the least)

I'm not trying to have an agressive deficit, promise! That's just how I eat. :neutral: I wasn't feeling any negative side effects to my routine so I thought I was okay! I will try to eat more if that's what is best for my body.
  • WeightLoss3809
    WeightLoss3809 Posts: 7 Member
    Water weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds, fluids can be anything, from jello,ice cream,soup, anything that can melt into fluid would count towards your fluids you take in, not just water. Your scale can also be off, I read reviews on mine and found out it was off by a few, because my weight loss was like what you have mentioned, also not having bowl movements, and than suddenly having them at the end of the week will do that too for some reason.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member

I'm not trying to have an agressive deficit, promise! That's just how I eat. :neutral: I wasn't feeling any negative side effects to my routine so I thought I was okay! I will try to eat more if that's what is best for my body.

Try some calorie dense foods if food volume is an issue.
    Im still nursing my 15 month old and i pump too (he was 15 weeks premature, needs extra calories)

If my calories are too low or i dont eat back enough exercise calories therefore creating too much of a deficit my milk supply suffers.

In the earlier days my milk supply was abundant no matter what i did but that all changed once my period returned and hormone swings + too much of a deficit = less milk
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member

Youve lost 8lb in 2 weeks? Thats probebly a bit much considering your not that heavy to start with