Supplements yes or no?

Options

Replies

• abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm not too worried about my scale weight - I'm around 49kg but that goes up & down slightly over the month.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    abs1970 wrote: »
    Right now I only take BCCA ( I don't consider protein shakes to be supplement). I don't even drink pre-workout. If I wasn't doing 18:6 IF I don't think I would take BCCA's either.
    I have taken creatine in the past. It has helped with strength and muscle growth.

I agree with you about protein shakes not being a supplement - I try to have at least one a day

Yep. It's very hard for me to get 160 grs of protein from food alone in 6 hour feeding window.

Creatine sometimes causes a little water weight gain though, keep that in mind if you wanna try it.

Damn- I don't want anything that'll give me water weight :#

Haha..knowing you, that's why I mentioned it lol
  • CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    BCAA's are good to take, especially if you're on a "high-this, low-that" kind of diet. Your body needs 20 essential amino acids, but only makes 11 of them naturally, the other 9 you get from food. Creatine is good too, 5g a day, and I think the whole "loading" phase is unnecessary. They're both about the cheapest supplements you can get, and they definitely won't hurt your training.

BCAA supplements are composed of three essential amino acids - leucine, isoleucine and valine. All of which are found in any complete protein source in the diet. If you already have adequate dietary protein intake, BCAAs provide no additional advantage.

Hence the "high-this, low-that" part of my post.
  • abs1970
    Options
    Right now I only take BCCA ( I don't consider protein shakes to be supplement). I don't even drink pre-workout. If I wasn't doing 18:6 IF I don't think I would take BCCA's either.
    I have taken creatine in the past. It has helped with strength and muscle growth.

I agree with you about protein shakes not being a supplement - I try to have at least one a day

Yep. It's very hard for me to get 160 grs of protein from food alone in 6 hour feeding window.

Creatine sometimes causes a little water weight gain though, keep that in mind if you wanna try it.

Damn- I don't want anything that'll give me water weight :#

Haha..knowing you, that's why I mentioned it lol

Lol - you know me :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BCAAs - seem to have a strong placebo effect for some... Unnecessary/pointless IMHO if you have adequate protein in your diet, if you don't have adequate protein then better to fix with a protein shake (or food) rather than BCAAs anyway.

Creatine - extremely well researched and a bargain basement price. Worth trying but it doesn't work for everyone, I got absolutely nothing from it either good or "bad". No performance improvement or water weight gain.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Although I usually get enough protein, I eat one meal a day, so I take BCAA's in the morning, it seems to help with a boost throughout the day, and definitely helps with DOMS!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Why are you consuming 160g of protein? That is more that I need, and I am a 173 lb male. Most women only need 100-130g. Generally, anything in the 1.5-2.2g/kg is sufficient (at that is largely in a cut). If you are in maintenance or recomping, the lower end of that is adequate.

I have protein powders, but only because I cook with them. I mostly use it as a buffer and am satiated more when I am at 1g/lb.

Creatine is the most studied and most proven supplement on the market. For many it will provide additional benefit during lifting. But I personally won't try it again (last time I was having severe stomach cramping) until I have maxed out my noob gains. If I show little to no progress in my lifts, that is when I will try to incorporate it. BCAA's are noted are overblown. Some like pre-workouts as they are loaded with caffeine (another proven supplement).

There are other supplements that are proven like; vitamin D, multivitamin, fish oil, etc.. but those are more directly related to health, as opposed to gym performance.

I would also recommend looking at www.labdoor.com for quality supplements if you buy any.
  • abs1970
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    BCAAs - seem to have a strong placebo effect for some... Unnecessary/pointless IMHO if you have adequate protein in your diet, if you don't have adequate protein then better to fix with a protein shake (or food) rather than BCAAs anyway.

Creatine - extremely well researched and a bargain basement price. Worth trying but it doesn't work for everyone, I got absolutely nothing from it either good or "bad". No performance improvement or water weight gain.

Thanks for this - great advice. It sounds like I actually don't need to be thinking about supplements at all!
  • abs1970
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Why are you consuming 160g of protein? That is more that I need, and I am a 173 lb male. Most women only need 100-130g. Generally, anything in the 1.5-2.2g/kg is sufficient (at that is largely in a cut). If you are in maintenance or recomping, the lower end of that is adequate.

I have protein powders, but only because I cook with them. I mostly use it as a buffer and am satiated more when I am at 1g/lb.

Creatine is the most studied and most proven supplement on the market. For many it will provide additional benefit during lifting. But I personally won't try it again (last time I was having severe stomach cramping) until I have maxed out my noob gains. If I show little to no progress in my lifts, that is when I will try to incorporate it. BCAA's are noted are overblown. Some like pre-workouts as they are loaded with caffeine (another proven supplement).

There are other supplements that are proven like; vitamin D, multivitamin, fish oil, etc.. but those are more directly related to health, as opposed to gym performance.

I would also recommend looking at www.labdoor.com for quality supplements if you buy any.

My protein goal is 151g - are you saying that's too much?
  • psuLemon
    Options

You probably don't need that much.. but is it too much for the body, no. In a given give, I get 140-200g of protein. I am 173 @ 15% bf (~147lb of lean body mass). 1g per lb of lbm is more than sufficient. When I cut, I err on the side of caution and go up to 1g per lb (both of which fall in the 1.5g-2.2g/kg range).

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549
  • Ironandwine69
    edited May 2017
    Options

Because I am on an aggressive cut and I am 5'10 and weigh alot!
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    As others said nutrition should be first but I see nothing wrong with using supplements even if they are minimally beneficial or cause a placebo. Just know they aren't some weight loss magic, I look at them as a quality of life thing. Always get the "waste of money" and if you are living on nickles and dimes, yea spend your money elsewhere. If you have expendable cash who cares? People act like they don't spend their money on anything non essential. Just do your research and figure out if said product is right for you.

Opinion of Creatine is well it works and has studies to back it up. BCAA's I really look at them as an expensive Kool-Aid. I take both daily. The way I mix my BCAA's tho it ends up being fairly cheap. Mix 1 scoop of MTS Machine Fuel in a half gallon of water(those two are potent in flavor can't do that with all BCAA's). Just look at it as a 0 calorie drink and extra BCAA's can't hurt.

• psuLemon
    Options

Because I am on a fast cut and I am 5'10 and weigh alot!

Are following some of the protocols that Lyle McDonald is known for?

There are some circumstances that do benefit from higher protein. Very aggressive cutting protocols, that the unmentioned procotols by Lyle, are one of them.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

If I remember your stats correctly that is more than necessary for muscle growth/retention. Usually it's 0.8-1g per lb lean body mass. However​ some people prefer to eat higher protein especially for satiety during a cut. Nothing wrong with that.

But if you are having problems reaching your cal goal you may want to reconsider your macro ratios.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options

There are some circumstances that do benefit from higher protein. Very aggressive cutting protocols, that the unmentioned procotols by Lyle, are one of them.

I'm gonna have to Google Lyle McDonald and his protocol. Lol.
    But I am 5'10 and weigh 160lbs, I always go for 1gr of protein per lbs on a cut. By aggressive I mean 500 calorie deficit and not eat workout exercise calories back. Which to me is very aggressive.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options

I'm gonna have to Google Lyle McDonald and his protocol. Lol.
    But I am 5'10 and weigh 160lbs, I always go for 1gr of protein per lbs on a cut. By aggressive I mean 500 calorie deficit and not eat workout exercise calories back. Which to me is very aggressive.

Oh and during maintenance I do 1gr per LBM, instead of 1 gr per pound.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use gold standard protein powder. Might look into creatin when I lose the weight I want.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Start from these defaults:
    • All supplements are useless
    • How many calories you eat determine your weight
    • You'll get further with a good weight training program
    • Even the 'good' supplements are a rounding error in the fitness math

If you're going to supplement your diet, know why and with what. Don't simply add something because Women's Health magazine claims it's a good idea, or the local news runs a thirty-second segment on how The One True Supplement Study shows a pill brings health. It doesn't.

All of that said, here's the supplements I've taken, and why.
    • Fish oil - I ave a genetic inflammatory condition (always)
    • D3 through the winter months
    • Creatine monohydrate for additional ATP for weight lifting (no long use, doesn't see to matter much)
    • Psyllium fiber to boost overall fiber if it's been low a few days
    • BCAA & L-Glutamine - only for fasted early-morning workouts
    • Whey powder for that fabulous calorie to protein ratio

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't take any supplements (besides some occasional protein powder to hit my macros) .. I am not recomping but I just finished a very successful bulk where I clearly gained significant muscle. So are they necessary? No. Do some people find them helpful.. sure. But I would have calories, macros and training in line first... Supplements would be the very last thing on the hierarchy of importance. Where is that Helms pyramid​...

gb95j2pmto2e.jpg

This is actually my take on this as well.
    Supplements are great if you need them but if you can get what you need through food then always go for a food instead.

And if you aren't taking the time to properly sort out your nutrition and training, throwing in supplements isn't going to benefit you much... People need to work on the basics before overcomplicating things with small details...