Emotional eating...

Options
I need to learn to curve my emotions better than to turn to food.... I was just curious on what others do to help with this....

Replies

• 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I color, go for a walk, look at my progress pics, journal, and ask for support from a friend. I also pray a lot. I still give in sometimes, but I do a lot better than I used to. I try not to keep any junk food around and then I don't have any options when I want to emotionally eat, except for healthy things like fruit or vegetables.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I keep low-cal treats on-hand to snack on. I've mostly got a salt tooth, so Skinny Pop popcorn, string cheese, and veggie dogs. Occasionally something like veggie straws or pop-chips. For sweet, I've been getting Quaker Corn Squares (also, because I'm watching my iron intake and 30 grams of Corn Squares gives me 30% of my iron RDA). And I measure/weigh out my portions.

If all else fails, I exercise. When I'm done, either the mood has passed (and exercising has done wonders for my moods) or I've got the calories for a snack.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Low-calorie treats are a lifesaver.

Sugar-free candy, Halo Top, protein fluff (Google it), air-popped popcorn, flavored rice cakes, carrots & celery with ranch greek yogurt... yum.
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I remind myself that if I eat while I am upset, not only will the problem still be there, but I will feel awful for overeating too. One problem at a time is enough.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater as well, but I find scheduled snacks help and exercise (especially after a stressful day) help me curb the munchies. Sometimes I'll look at my net calories (if it's the end of the week) and see if I have the room to go over that day and eat the chocolate icecream and delivery Thai food that I want. And like other posters have said, try to find a way to express your emotions through a different outlet like writing, painting, pillow punching, etc.