Looking for new friends - weight loss through diet only

Options
Hi, I'm Nana and I'm trying to lose weight but I'm in a wheelchair so I don't exercise. So if you're losing weight by diet only, I'd love to hear about your experience!

Replies

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't exercise either, by choice. I do ride my horse once a week, and I walk to the bus stop and back but basically I'm lazy. I've still lost 90lbs. All you need to do is set your activity level to "sedentary" in MFP. I'm 5'10", 42yo and currently 185lb and this still gives me 1450 calories. I eat a bit more on the days I ride, but I can get by fine on 1450.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do exercise but not for weightloss. For me weightloss is all about diet, I'll never spend enough time in the gym to have a meaningful long term impact on the calories I need.

Portion control is where my diet goes wrong, if I'm not thinking about it I fill up on oversized portions of carbs. When I'm trying to loose weight, which I am right now, I focus meals on vegetables and weigh everything. I still eat carbs, but a weighed portion and I track the calories of everything I eat. I've lost about 25ib that way. It's healthy and you can eat a lot on a low calorie diet if you make vegetables the main feature.
  • nanagetshealthier
    nanagetshealthier Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't exercise either, by choice. I do ride my horse once a week, and I walk to the bus stop and back but basically I'm lazy. I've still lost 90lbs. All you need to do is set your activity level to "sedentary" in MFP. I'm 5'10", 42yo and currently 185lb and this still gives me 1450 calories. I eat a bit more on the days I ride, but I can get by fine on 1450.

Wow, you've made great progress, 90lbs is a lot! I've lost 17lbs so far. I'm on 1200 buts that's because I'm quite short. I've still got a long way to go though. Ideally how much weight would you like to lose?

• nanagetshealthier
    nanagetshealthier Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do exercise but not for weightloss. For me weightloss is all about diet, I'll never spend enough time in the gym to have a meaningful long term impact on the calories I need.

Portion control is where my diet goes wrong, if I'm not thinking about it I fill up on oversized portions of carbs. When I'm trying to loose weight, which I am right now, I focus meals on vegetables and weigh everything. I still eat carbs, but a weighed portion and I track the calories of everything I eat. I've lost about 25ib that way. It's healthy and you can eat a lot on a low calorie diet if you make vegetables the main feature.

I find portio control hard as well but I hoping to make it a healthy habit. I was surprised at how much food I could eat on a 1200 calorie diet!
  • joanneetheridge
    joanneetheridge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also in a wheelchair and I really need to lose 2 stone. I have just started to try and lose weight, so it is early days. I was heartbroken when I stood on the scales. I did not realise I had put on so much weight. I am now stating with a 1200 calorie diet. I don't think it will be easy.
  • Leverfam
    Leverfam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am getting back to the gym now but I wanted to share that my weight loss journey began 3 months ago and being an accountant did nothing in those three months but sit on my behind and work - yet I still lost 30 pounds. The registered dietitian that I am seeing for nutritional guidance says that losing weight is 70-80% diet/nutrition and 20-30% exercise. With that said your journey is totally doable. Best of luck!!