Not seeing it?

Options
When did other people start noticing that the looked thinner. I have lost about 17 pounds, and have a lot further togo. But it is discouraging to not see the difference in the mirror.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 20 pounds up or down to notice the changes in the mirror. People around me started noticing anywhere between 15-30 pounds. Keep going! You'll look in the mirror one day soon and be amazed by the changes you'll see.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Did you take a before picture? Take one now, if you didn't.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You don't see a difference partly because you see yourself every day and daily changes are so small they wouldn't be noticeable.... They add up though! Have you tried taking photos every few weeks? That was the biggest eye opener for me... Measurements may help you realise you're shrinking too
  • Shelley_ac34
    Shelley_ac34 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just took one a little over a week ago. Wish I had taken one when I started.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I just took one a little over a week ago. Wish I had taken one when I started.

Cool! Just keep going, you've got this!
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements! Your eyes may not notice you've lost 1/2 an inch around your waist - but the tape measure will show you that you are making a difference.

Measure everything! Waist, arms, forearms, thighs etc and note them down along with your weekly weigh in. This should help you stay focussed when the scale and the mirror seem to be in cahoots! :-)

Best of luck - don't stop, it'll be worth it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Another MFPer posted the other day "Psychological weight loss takes a lot longer than physical weight loss." It's true! We're just a good judge of ourselves in the mirror. Progress pictures are key.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I take a daily selfie (which before this I never took a selfie) and a daily pic of my cardio machine to track progress.

It took about 25lbs for me to truly see a difference. Now when I need motivation I go back to selfie pic day 1 and instantly I'm ready to get back to it. I sooo see the difference.

Stick with it: we all lose differently. Give it time!

For me, my mind plays tricks on me. I am down 70lbs and some days I feel thinner but some days I feel like I haven't lost a thing.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    After 25 pounds, I'm still overweight, so when I look in the mirror I still look fat. However, my pants are fitting MUCH looser than they used to. I know from experience I still have about 10-15 more pounds to go before my stomach pouch and love handles are gone and I'll actually look a healthy weight.

Don't focus on one thing. There are numerous ways to measure your weight loss success (actual weight, body measurements, clothing sizes, resting heart rate, etc). Look at all of them!