Worried about extra saggy skin after weight loss

Options
I've been overweight for a few years and one fear I have always had is that I ruined my body, specifically my abdomen which is where I carry the most weight. I have terrible stretch marks that wrap around from my hips to my bellybutton and they are very long. On top of the stretch marks, which I know will never fully disappear, I am terrified that when I lose the weight I will be left with extra sagging skin.

I am only 20 years old so I am hoping my age may work to my advantage as to avoid sagging skin, and while I know everyone is different I was hoping to get a better idea as to what to expect. I have not always been overweight, I started gradually gaining at about 15 or 16 years old. My highest was 217lbs and I am currently at 204lbs.

So my question is, is there anyone else out there who was around my weight and then lost it, and did you have any extra sagging skin afterwards? Was there anything you were able to do to minimize it other than the super expensive surgical option? And, is there anything I can do while losing the weight to try and avoid that happening, maybe a cream or something similar to apply to the area?

I'd appreciate any and all feedback! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I didn't get saggy skin when I lost weight at 20, but I got a lot of stretch marks when I gained the weight back :(

Either way, it shouldn't even be a question, honestly. Coming from someone who has a lot of loose skin... it still beats the extra fat. But nope, nothing you can do about it except lose the weight now when you're young.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Don't pre-worry. Lose the weight first. Saggy skin is still aesthetically nicer than being fat.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I understand, and think the thought of this is worse than the reality of it.

Take the worst case scenario and then consider that when you're wearing clothes -- which is most of the time, right? -- it isn't noticeable to anyone.

I'm 46, and some saggy parts are firming up (over the course of several wks), so there is that possibility, too. Some people will say they notice a huge difference after a year. And there is always surgery at some point -- when you're older or making more money or whatever.

Point is: don't worry.

(Oh, to answer one of your questions: I'm a little over 5' and started in the 230s. Now 112 and starting to notice it on my thighs and belly. I did see it around my neck / chin at one point, but that is gone now. Also my arms, but as I lift weights it seems to be tightening up.)
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Age will work in your favor. Start lifting- that made a big difference for me. (Ymmv)
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started at 245 and am now at 188. I have some loose skin, which frustrates me at times, but as I continue to lift and eat right, it is receding some. In clothes you don't notice it, and I'm happier and feel so much healthier. It's so worth losing the weight even if you have some loose skin. But mine definitely is getting better, although I don't expect to ever lose all of it. If I need surgery once I'm at my goal weight, I'll consider it then but for now I'll just keep working towards my fitness goals. Keep your chin up! You can do it, and it will be so worth it!! Good luck!!
  • Asianlila
    Asianlila Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I gained 60 to 70 lbs withveach baby..i ve got 3..i was 120 then had baby at 180 or 190..it took work..but weights and building muscle keeps skin tighter..i do alot of cardio but weight lifting and ab workouts with weights got my stomach back to way it was pre pregnancy