Your thoughts on medical doctors

Options
2»

Replies

• jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    i require my doctors to have all my vices. they need to drink, be obese, smoke tobacco (at least occasionally), enjoy women, not be gluten free, not any level of "vegetarian" (although we are all vegetarians... many of us just prefer that something else does the conversion from plant to meat... thats why animals exist)

that said my gp is female and so is my dentist all the others are men.... i trust them for the most part... and when they suggest silly things like weight loss surgery i can look at them and say "how is that working for you". doctors are like any other professional they can offer advice and your job is to advocate for your own care.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    sudoku is where its at. everyone knows.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I get paid like a doctor to basically goof off all day....I think I'm underpaid!!

sadly me too, and i do not have to pay a malpractice insurance premium
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I get paid like a doctor to basically goof off all day....I think I'm underpaid!!

Maybe if you start doing Sudoku they will see you're actually doing something. That's if you're any good at it.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Generally I trust my doctor if I'm sick or something is broken. For health advise I do not trust him and am actually looking for a new doctor. At my last physical he noticed my weight was up. I said, yes, but my measurements are down and I'm weight lifting so I believe I'm putting on muscle. His response, "Everybody says that. Do less weight lifting and more cardio."

Um. No. That's old school and that's telling me you're not up to date on stuff. Time to find another doctor.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I trust them to an extent. I have come across some that I did not like or appreciate. My old primary care, wouldn't even really acknowledge me she was too busy typing on her computer everything I was saying, so I grasp she was listening but I didn't feel heard at all so I changed. I take their advice, and than I do my own research and I do whats best for me. I also do alternative medicine such as acupuncture, chiropractor etc. I had to get put on birth control for 18 months and I decided to go with a non hormonal IUD, the first one slipped, so I had to have it taken out and have a new one put in, when I went to have it taken out my normal Gyno wasn't there so I got some guy, afterwards he asked me what I was going to do now, and I said we are going to give it another go and then asked me why I chose the non hormonal one, I explained I was pcos and I didn't like hormones and for myself chose the non-hormonal route. He went on and on about how hormones are safe and xyz. After he was done I politely said, Regardless, I am going with the paragard. Its my body, my choice. Luckily he didn't push it further or things might not have been so polite.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I am in finance and make close to six figures.
    My brother is a anesthesiologist and makes mid 300k. He does crosswords during surgeries.

He's also watching Netflix.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think doctors are appropriately paid considering the amount of education, training and responsibility. There are thousands of other professions that are severely under and overpaid respectively, for example many care workers are underpaid, I won't go into professions that I believe are actually overpaid.

As for my trust in doctors I have a lot, but they are not infallible, we are extremely complicated bags of meat and there are still gaps in medical understanding which are constantly being reevaluated, plus cross overs in symptoms that present the same for completely different ailments. Complete honesty with your GP is essential but second and even third opinions can be sought if you feel you're not receiving the correct care or you're being incorrectly assessed.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Now that I am older, sometimes a colonoscopy is the highlight of my week. Wish they'd take me out for dinner and a drink first, though.
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There is some insight in this thread. It's nice to see a variety of views on the topic.

Personally I am a very sensitive person when it comes to the health of my body. If I sense a physician is being a salesperson, unhappy, impolite, or not being consistent with their recommendations then I won't return.

I also remember how the doctor's office and support staff treats me. I can have the best doctor in the world but if their staff is unhappy, indolent, or unorganized then I won't come back either.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I trust doctors but not enough to not get a second opinion and a lot less than I used to.

I went in once for a sharp, severe pain in my knee when I knelt on it. He put me on steroids to reduce swelling which I took and did nothing. Awhile later I picked at a bump that had been on that knee since the pain had started. It was a pimple. I was prescribed steroids for a pimple.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    gianna42 wrote: »
    They make way too much money

Not sure I agree with this. Physicians go to school for 8 years, do a minimum of a 3 year residency (more for any specialty) - that's 11 years of training before they even "start". Compared to other professions that require less education, training, and responsibility, I'm not sure that they're overpaid.

Agree! I think pro athletes are the ones who make way too much money.

.... let the free market do it's thang.

• thieambe
    thieambe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore good doctors. Same with cops, if they do their job right they should be making your life better and not worse. Every doctor will have their good and bad qualities but I haven't met one yet that didn't have my best interest in mind.

I'm also a Healthcare worker, however, so I may be biased.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    You can always tell a good one from a bad one after a short conversation. The good thing is they show their colours very early,
    it's more noticeable when they're junior doctors (in the UK it's F1, baby doc's etc)

Trust is the most important thing, get a good feel for their capabilites and realise that they use Google!