Confused- so many numbers

I'm down to lose 2 pounds a week, which gives me 1200 calories a day. I've put that I'm sedentary- which I very much was. I don't eat back exercise calories. I wear Fitbit and mfp tells me I've got about 900 a day 'adjusted'. This is from walking etc and about 45 mins exercise. I'm losing more than 2 pounds a week. But it's very early on, and I have a lot to lose. Is it ok to lose more than 2 pounds? Have no idea what I'm doing. NEAT, TDEE, BMR. Arrrrgh...... very confused. No idea what I'm doing!!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,181 Member
    If you don't know what you're doing... why are you trying to second guess your tools?

Do what MFP and Fitbit suggest you do. I.e. eat more and lose slower.

What is important is that you stay the course and set yourself up for maintenance.

10 years from now, will it matter a lot whether you lost your weight in 8, 12, or 16 months?

10 years from now, will it matter a lot that you succeeded in 16 months because you didn't make things so hard on you that you failed?

<All numbers mentioned were randomly selected and used for demonstration>

Generally it is considered safe to lose up to 1% of your body weight a week.

Btw, connect your fitbit.com account to trendweight.com and use your weight trend in your decision making.
  • flabby100
    flabby100 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you for replying. I don't want to lose quickly. I read posts where
    People eat exercise calories, and others that eat some and others that eat none. I want it to be sustainable- have linked Fitbit. Thanks!
  • flabby100
    flabby100 Posts: 3 Member
    I hear people say they lost quickly at the start. Water weight. How do I know whether what I'm losing is water weight or proper weight?
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited May 2017
    How long has it been? A month or so? There is certainly some water in there. I'd suggest keep doing what you are doing a while longer and get some more data. After about three month you might consider adjusting. Just a thought, make sure you are getting adequate protein, the other macros are less important when losing, but protein in cooperation with exercise will help you retain your muscle. In other words, if you aren't getting enough, it's better to slow your rate of loss by adding more protein. Good luck.