raw vs cooked spinach question

Options
Hey there!
I used to LOVE spinach salads... I had one practically every lunch until I learnt that raw spinach is high in goitrogens, which are bad for your thyroid (I am hypothyroid so I try to avoid as a precaution), and oxalic acids, which decrease iron absorption.
Cooking spinach, however, decreases these compounds.

My question, if anyone can answer, is if I cooked spinach (let's say by microwaving it for 30 secs) in the night, but I do not eat the spinach until the following lunchtime... will I reap the benefits of having already cooked the spinach...or must the heating occur right before consumption?

Thanks. I just really want to eat spinach again.. haha

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I have no clue about Glubbdubdribs or however, but I would assume that once the compound is broken down, it remains that way because the plant no longer has a way to regenerate them.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I was pretty dismayed to discover this too. I'd be interested in hearing an answer to this question.

I also wanted to add that, it's even better if you cook the spinach with a fat source (especially saturated like butter, coconut oil or olive oil) because it helps you to absorb the fat soluble vitimins